Some sound stuttering every once in a while

So I'm playing the DS3 demo and suddenly there's some annoying sound stuttering that happens every few minutes. It lasts generally half a second to a second at most so it doesn't really affect gameplay but it is quite annoying. Doesn't matter how low the settings are, it just happens. Does not affect performance, in fact the game runs perfectly, even if I max it.

Any ideas? I wouldn't want this to happen on the full game if I pre-order it.

I've heard sound distortion, but only during voice acting. It's actually more of a pop or crackle while the NPC is talking. Is that what you're experiencing?

Yeah, I suppose so. Also, Realtek on board. It happens mostly during voice acting.

Edited by taviow

Also using Realtek onboard audio. I've got an X-Fi, but when Creative's drivers hosed Windows 7 Beta, I never bothered to install the card in the retail version. It's just sitting in an anti-static bag in my box-o-junk.

Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

Well, current mainboards already have pretty good onboard soundcards. You just shouldn't buy a ****ty board. A soundcard is only really useful nowadays if you have a good sound system as well. Else the difference really is just marginal.

I've kicked out my soundcard a few weeks ago when I've switched my mainboard. It solved lots of problems for me.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, current mainboards already have pretty good onboard soundcards. You just shouldn't buy a ****ty board. A soundcard is only really useful nowadays if you have a good sound system as well. Else the difference really is just marginal.

I've kicked out my soundcard a few weeks ago when I've switched my mainboard. It solved lots of problems for me.

My PC is like 3 years old. Either way, ****ty sound card/mobo or not, this issue is not common. I miss out on a lot of advantages of much better sound cards, but at least there are no problems.

I hope there is a way to fix this.

• 1 month later...
Oh come on guys. Are we the only ones who are experiencing this?

Absolutely not... As detailed in the thread HERE, there are several others who have experienced the same thing--including myself. The problem hasn't seemed to be addressed, other than:

No idea, sorry, haven't had sound issues with any game in a long time.

...which doesn't necessarily help.

I've heard sound distortion, but only during voice acting. It's actually more of a pop or crackle while the NPC is talking. Is that what you're experiencing?

Yeah, I suppose so. Also, Realtek on board. It happens mostly during voice acting.

Yes... General sound during the game (music, sound effects, etc.) seem to be just fine. However, during dialogue choice scenes, there is a lot of stuttering and general popping and even some slight repeating.

Also, Realtek on board.

That's your problem.

Jesus Christ people, shell out some money for a decent sound card. I recommend the Asus Xonar series.

Otherwise, keep the soundcard drivers up to date, also install the newest Motherboard Chipset drivers.

Try not to make assumptions that those of us who have built-in Realtek or Cirrus audio devices don't have the money to "shell out" for different cards. This may not be the case at all. I'll give you 2 examples right offhand:

1. The person is on a laptop, and therefore cannot change their soundcard without some serious hardware knowledge--not to mention voiding their warrantee or their support plan

2. The person bought a MacBook Pro and is running a dual boot drive--one with OS X for professional applications, and one for Windows 7 64-bit for gaming. On these laptops, we are provided with--you guessed it--a "built-in" audio card from Cirrus.

That last scenario is mine. Also--and I don't think this is any secret to the PC community--anyone who buys a Mac probably paid twice as much as you did for your PC--for the same specifications. Would I rather have a PC? Sure. But, I was required by my college to get a Mac to run programs associated with my degree, and this is what I'm stuck with.

Game folder/config.ini

Change listener_offset to 0. That reduced the noise significantly for me.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! The "1" setting seemed to help me out a tiny bit, but it didn't solve the problem. It doesn't stutter as much, but it caused all the audio to be mis-matched, and sometimes the audio stops a while to wait for the character's mouth to catch up to what's already been said.

MY FIX:

Now, at first, I thought I had a Realtek built-in device. Turns out it's a Cirrus CS4206A (75) built-in device. Naturally, I wanted to make sure I had not messed up something with the drivers. So, I updated them just to make sure. Game sounds still stuttered. I wanted to also double check and see if it was the sound card, or if it was the game. Well, I also happen to have a Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Sound headset which has its own built-in audio device. When I switched over to that device, I still got the sound stuttering in the game.

At that point, I thought I had narrowed it down to it being a Dungeon Siege 3 problem and not a sound card problem.

Turns out it wasn't--at least, in my case.

I run a messaging program called XFIRE that works in-game with a ton of different games. I've ran it for years, and have developed a habit of always starting it up before I start up any games, so I can keep track of how many hours I've been playing a particular game.

Well, I had an idea to have XFIRE closed when I started up the game, and viola! No sound issues--on either my headset OR my built-in sound device.

If any of you with stuttering or "popping" sound issues in this game happen to run the program XFIRE (or any other gaming program that might have a built-in "in-game" function to it--besides Steam, of course), you may want to shut down any program like that while you're running DS3, because it may be affecting the sound for some unknown reason.

Bottom line for me: XFIRE running, sound popping during dialogue. XFIRE not running, all audio (including all dialogue) clear as a bell.

Hope this helps someone.

"Alien"

Edited by AlienOne

Not for me. Tried turning everything not necessary off, but it still shutters.

best solution to change priority to low atm :| Not the way i wanna do it, because i cannot run any background CPU-eating programs in background :|

Edited by vitas75