Arriving on Telos Crash/Black screen

Heya guys

I recently sent my laptop for repair, so Im stuck with my old desktop. I was looking through my old disks and found KOTOR2, so I installed it, updated it on my old computer.

Everything runs fine on Peragus, then right after the rendered cutscene of Ebon Hawk landing on Telos, the game goes to a black screen, no sound can be heard, and its just stuck there. No error messages whatsoever, had to close it with taskmanager. So, I went around and found a new driver for my graphics card (since the card was so old, it was a Catalyst driver for 3 cards built into one .exe). I install that, restart the game, now it loads past the movie, but everything is black and I can make out random textures (small) and stuff, the majority of the game isnt showing. The sound is intact and I can hear everything but the graphics are messed up. Even on the character selection screen, the 6 (right?) Jedi models are all 99% invisible other than small texture/model tears shooting off everywhere.

So, what I did now is did a quicksave at Telos (since I got past the black no sound, no graphics freeze screen), then restored my PC to before the graphics driver installation. I then reinstalled KOTOR2, pasted-in my saved game, and voila, Im in Telos and all graphics are intact.

I managed to finish Telos, landed on Nar Shada, then realized that after the fuel thing and killing the 2 guys for the Lieutenant guy I should go back and claim some reward. Good thing I quick-saved, because as soon as the movie of EH landing on Telos finished playing, I was treated with the black dead-screen again, with no sound and no graphics.

That was a pretty thorough description right? Well, if anyone has a similar problem, can offer any kind of advice, I thank you in advance. I dont know why everywhere else is fine but Telos crashes. Is there a console command to solve this?

My system:

Dell Dimension 8400 (yeah, its old but Ive seen older machines run KOTOR2 no problem)

Intel P4 3.2Ghz with HT

ATI Radeon X300 128MB

1GB RAM, 1 DIMM

Yeah, I also did messed around with the graphics options, setting AA Anis and random things on/off, turning everything to default/min. I spent alot of time getting this to work, now Im wondering if its all worth it =P

Thanks all, have a good day.

Derg

Does turning random things off include frame buffer effects? Just curious. Could the 128mb gfx memory be the problem (i.e. not being able to hold the textures)?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hello Gorth, thanks for the reply

Indeed, the buffer is turned off. I turned everything down to minimum and this problem still occurs. I read somewhere that the patches themselves could cause a problem, so I reinstalled and did not patch the game, but this problem still persists...

Right after the movie finishes (of you landing on Telos) the loading screen doesn't come up, it just black screens and I can hear my computer working...after 10 minutes its still like that...

Im not too familiar with the console, but can I use it to jump to different planets? Will that solve the problem?

Thanks for any help!

Derg

Hello guys

So, did a few tests and found out that this "black-screen 'o death" occurs also on Dantooine and Onberon (sorry about the sp), but NOT on Nar Shadaar and Korriban. Why? I have no idea, and I dont care now since my newer computer is out of repairs and will be here in about 3 days. However, I do see many other people suffering from the same problem, and no definite fix other than the "check your card, driver, Min spec, patch" bullcrap that people always say. So, if you have a fix please help some old gamers out.

Thanks anyway, and hope you all enjoy this game!

btw, how do I change the color of my saber? The first one I built (dont know why) was green, one I got from the dead Jedi on Korriban was yellow-double edge, and after killing fake Revan the one I got was ANOTHER yellow-double edge. I specifically said my saber was a purple-single edge, and it shows in cutscenes and Atris...do I have to find a purple-colored crystal? thats a pain...what are the chances of recieving a purple saber as a reward or drop or something?

Have a nice day!

Derg

Sorry, not really able to help you with the tech stuff, but regarding the sabres, I'm fairly sure that both types (short, single- and two handed) and colours that you get is completely randomized throughout the game. Only exception is the cutscene which uses your answers.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hey Gorth, good to see this forum isn't (completely) dead...other than the random people signing up to ask a single question (like me) lol.

I always wondered why Bioware isn't making a Dragonage/Mass Effect Starwars game, that would be RIDICULOUS. Then again, SW The Old Republic is coming out, too bad its an MMORPG and not a narrative like the Bioware games usually are. Well, Ill keep myself busy for 2 days then try KOTOR2 again on my more modern computer.

Guess Ill stick around the forum, check back now and then.

Have fun guys

Derg

• 1 year later...

On Nar Shadaa(?) I sucessfully complete the mission in Vogga's wharehouse, getting the blank registration disk. Later, Atton, Mira and the Handmaiden are fighting their way through bounty hunters. When THIS is completed, I c an't get back on the Hawk because I need a blank freighter id for tienn tubb to reformat.

DESPITE the fact I'd achieved this earlier. I'm stuck with no move. Anyone help?