PC Demo - Post your impressions.

Did you like the PC demo?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What were your thoughts?

• Loved it.
    • Good, but needs some tweaking.
    • Meh, didn't enjoy it.
    • Epic Fail.

I liked the demo. Not planning on cancelling my pre-order :)

The lighting was very well done, liked the game mechanics so far though my old rumblepad isn't the best pad to play this after getting used to 360 pad. Died multiple times on Vera, guess I should have bothered to learn how to heal :)

Hate the living, love the dead.

I wanted to watch a stream, but the player was so bad he needed an hour to get past the Stormsong cave... from it's ~mid point.

At least I was stopped from spoiling it for myself. :lol:

Edited by Oner

To me the demo was "OK, needs tweaking, too much enforced-yakking." First impression was a little worse than that, but after playing demo a 2nd time I think I could get used to it/like it fine. I did like the item/gear concept that I was seeing, and the randomness of the non-boss ones.

But it's nice to see someone say that the game after the demo areas may be better. I still plan on buying it I think, probably even at full price, but I don't have a major jones to get it on the immediate day of release. I liked the DS games quite a bit back then, but it was never a 'must have right now' series for me in the first place.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

From the sound of it a gamepad is highly recommended.

I don't get why PC gamers suddenly decided that controllers other than M&K are unworthy of their time. Alternate controllers used to be a staple of any PC gamer's setup and besides, gamepads are a user interface like any other. You don't refuse to use a steering wheel for your racing games on the principle of the thing, do you?

Lots of games are designed to control better on a specific controller, and they're better for it.

So let me get this straight. Fans of a game series with a control scheme which began on the PC, found success on the PC, and worked perfectly fine on the PC should now suddenly run out and buy a gamepad so that they can bypass the inexcusably bad user interface and control setup of the latest sequel? If Obsidian wanted to develop a sequel to Dark Alliance for the consoles they should have done just that. Instead, Obsidian and Square decide to hijack the Dungeon Siege IP and turn it into a game no one asked for, with a control scheme that simply doesn't work for its target audience. But don't take my word for it, call Steam and ask them how many pre-orders have been cancelled since the release of the PC demo.

If Obsidian wanted to develop a sequel to Dark Alliance for the consoles they should have done just that.

they just did, duh. but the only available fantasy license had been Dungeon Siege, so they had to work with that :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well the game is still on Steam's topseller list...

I don't get this controller hate either. Pretty much everyone of my friends who play computer games either own a console as well or a gamepad for PC and they are casual gamers. So I would imagine not that many people will actually need to go out and buy a gamepad just to play DS3. Unless the person is stuck playing just one genre (pc crpgs) of games it's more than likely that the person will own a gamepad.

I guess they should have copied the most boring fight mechanism ever from DS1 and keep the same controls?

As for Squeenix, they resurrected a dead IP that wasn't going to be worked on by the original developers anyways as they are focusing on RTS games. Also I'm pretty sure they got paid properly for the IP. Why not go cry at Chris Taylor for selling his baby?

Hate the living, love the dead.

Why not go cry at Chris Taylor for selling his baby?

I bet he' gets hundreds of angry emails a day :p

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I don't get this controller hate either. Pretty much everyone of my friends who play computer games either own a console as well or a gamepad for PC and they are casual gamers. So I would imagine not that many people will actually need to go out and buy a gamepad just to play DS3. Unless the person is stuck playing just one genre (pc crpgs) of games it's more than likely that the person will own a gamepad.

I don't "hate" controllers, but I am not comfortable with them - that is, I suck at using them. No matter how awkward a pc-GUI may be, it's almost always still better than my trying to play the game using a gamepad. :p

And yes I've tried using a pc-xbox controller for nearly a week to get used to it (hubs has one, he prefers them). I did get a little better, but my fingers/thumbs do not work with the way they design the things anymore. They are not good for arthritic thumbs, either.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

controllers are generally better than mouse/keyboard, especially if your work is linked with using a PC. straining your wrists isn't nice at all, I can hardly bend it at times

Walsingham said:

If Obsidian wanted to develop a sequel to Dark Alliance for the consoles they should have done just that.

I would buy it as long as it wasn't developed by this team, and it would poop all over DS3 imo. The combat in DS3 is fail.

Still gonna rent it but i wanted to buy it :(

Edited by rc deaths agent

controllers are generally better than mouse/keyboard, especially if your work is linked with using a PC. straining your wrists isn't nice at all, I can hardly bend it at times

Yeah, everyone has different potential physical issues with hours and hours of video gaming.

I seem to be largely immune to the wrist/tunnel carp issue. But the bad upper back doesn't like sitting and the arthritis (3-4 years ago) doesn't like having to grip things...meh. Sigh. :(

The combat in DS3 is fail.

I wish I could understand what's so bad about combat in DS3... I mean, it's better than most games (not saying *all* because I haven't played all h/s games, it's definitely better than all games I did get to play) of same genre. could you describe it in greater detail? but, please, without the "I don't feel I'm actually hitting the enemies" nonsense :(

Walsingham said:

why would you even want to play a point&click game :( that's a dead end, there's Diablo with its certified genius controls for a mouse+kb, if you're a dev, you either copy it or don't do it at all. I guess one could say that it's a "matter of preference". and I'd say to that, "yeah, like riding a tricycle compared to a bike, the former may feel more stable, but that's the only good thing about it"

which reminds me, DS was crap in this regard anyway.

Walsingham said:

they support more complex actions, which is the A in everyone's favorite ARPG. so yeah, they are superior. point and click games reek of "indie". like I said, the only game that managed to pull it off perfectly was Diablo 2, and it won't work for 3D games as well as it did for D2. I'd love to see how the controls work in Diablo 3.

Walsingham said:

I think point and click ARPGs are just fine. Loved Diablo 2. One of the few games to get grinding right, IMO. But I'm also quite excited about DS3, which in my mind is hitting this midpoint between stuff like Divinity 2 and, well, Diablo.

I'm not saying they aren't fine. it's just that to get a better combat experience, you shouldn't have both maneuvering and attacking on the same button.

Walsingham said:

Just give me my WSAD for movement and mouse for camera control and I'm happy.

I can't think of any recent ARPG on PC that doesn't do this, but Dungeon Siege 3. I really don't get it... even Daggerdale, another console port, has this.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I wish I could understand what's so bad about combat in DS3... I mean, it's better than most games (not saying *all* because I haven't played all h/s games, it's definitely better than all games I did get to play) of same genre. could you describe it in greater detail? but, please, without the "I don't feel I'm actually hitting the enemies" nonsense :ermm:

Why is that nonsense? If a game is based on one feature and it fails to do it right (imo) it isn't nonsense at all. If i play a shooter and the guns are no good i don't like it. If i play an action game and the action feels flat i don't like it, simple as that.

I wish I could understand what's so bad about combat in DS3... I mean, it's better than most games (not saying *all* because I haven't played all h/s games, it's definitely better than all games I did get to play) of same genre. could you describe it in greater detail? but, please, without the "I don't feel I'm actually hitting the enemies" nonsense ;)

Why is that nonsense? If a game is based on one feature and it fails to do it right (imo) it isn't nonsense at all. If i play a shooter and the guns are no good i don't like it. If i play an action game and the action feels flat i don't like it, simple as that.

i think a better analogy would be if you shoot a gun in a fps and the enemies dont recoil when hit or react in the slightest.

infact i know shooters like that. i think alpha protocol had moments like that in it. shooting an enemy and you didnt know if you were actually hitting them or not because they didnt react at all until they fell over dead.

but yeah hitting enemies in this game doesnt feel right. you get very little feedback at all, and if it werent for large circles appearing under the enemies you wouldnt know you were hurting them even.

i prefer combat a little more visceral and tangible. still getting the game, but these things bother me anyway.