PC Demo - Post your impressions.

Did you like the PC demo?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What were your thoughts?

• Loved it.
    • Good, but needs some tweaking.
    • Meh, didn't enjoy it.
    • Epic Fail.

You've feck all clue what a port is anyways.

Technically? Yup.

Considering its not a technical term, I'm astounded by your self professed ignorance.

I think I have to redefine my understanding of what "bad ports" are completly. Considering I've played PC exclusives that were way worse....

bad games by other developers that are pc exclusives are hardly a good justification for a poor game/port/ everything that is DS3. My little pony online sucked, therefore, DS3 is good? lol

Played the demo again with Anjali and I'll got more into the controls now. It actually feels pretty easy and smooth now and combat has become more fun. Guess I just had to get into it. Also I think that Anjali is more a character for me than Lucas.

If I could definitive find some folks who play with me in coop when I have the time in the evening, I would consider buying it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Technically? Yup.

Considering its not a technical term, I'm astounded by your self professed ignorance.

I think I have to redefine my understanding of what "bad ports" are completly. Considering I've played PC exclusives that were way worse....

bad games by other developers that are pc exclusives are hardly a good justification for a poor game/port/ everything that is DS3. My little pony online sucked, therefore, DS3 is good? lol

Well then its beautiful that it is, no? (Also did I do something to you? Bit nicer if possible?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting

I have seen exclusives that had no graphical options, were locked at a resolution, were nearly required to have a joystick (This actually count(ed) for several Flightsimulators. Granted this also counts for DSIII) and so on. Actually just played A Vampyre Story. Released 2008. Resolution 1024x768. Fun.

What I have seen though was in the better half of the "ports" (again meaning how I interpret what ports are since I'm not that informed in the facts) I played so far. Thats also all I'm saying. Naturally I don't defend the pc controls as I critized them myself.

Edited by C2B

The camera is terrible and makes combat a cluster****. Whenever you dodge, the camera goes all over the place and you lose track of your enemies (a camera fixed behind the character would've helped a lot here). Movement and combat also feels off somehow, like everything is moving through syrup. Things don't feel fast-paced, it's just very sluggish overall.

UI feels very consolish.

... But after being spoiled by Divinity 2 & its expansion, which were both outstanding, I really can't bring myself to wade through this.

This is my position on this as well. I was amazed how slow paced and "syrupy" everything felt.

This game needs fixes and changes to work well on the pc.

I've played through the demo twice now, once with kb&m and once with a controller that I hadn't used since about 2007. Both took me a couple minutes to get used to, then it wasn't an issue. I'm looking forward to the release date. Already have it pre-ordered on Steam.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

Who beat the witch boss without dying? I think I died three or four times there.

I have to wonder how far in the game that is. Because it was a bit of a spike in the curve.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Who beat the witch boss without dying? I think I died three or four times there.

I died twice with Lucas on my second run, but made it through without a problem on my first run playing with Anjali.

-==(UDIC)==-

I have to wonder how far in the game that is. Because it was a bit of a spike in the curve.

I beat the witch first time...though I came really close to dying the first 10 seconds or so. After that, Figured out all you have to do is run away most of the time while using the heal defense skill, then go in and attack and rinse and repeat. There's basically one skills she uses at close range that you need to avoid, but that's about it.

Simple fight but for a action rpg I thought it was pretty good.

Technically? Yup.

Well then its beautiful that it is, no? (Also did I do something to you? Bit nicer if possible?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting

I have seen exclusives that had no graphical options, were locked at a resolution, were nearly required to have a joystick (This actually count(ed) for several Flightsimulators. Granted this also counts for DSIII) and so on. Actually just played A Vampyre Story. Released 2008. Resolution 1024x768. Fun.

What I have seen though was in the better half of the "ports" (again meaning how I interpret what ports are since I'm not that informed in the facts) I played so far. Thats also all I'm saying. Naturally I don't defend the pc controls as I critized them myself.

Regardless of the control issues, which, while substantial are far less important that the limited gameplay in comparison to its competition (diablo 3, torchlight 2, Grim Dawn, etc). The game could require kinect as far as im concerned as long as the gameplay was fun and the story engaging.

DS3 doesn't have a lot of features that the genre has by default (online multiplayer, high level caps, new game+). This is because it was intended as a console game (read: port). This isn't bad in and of itself, but for whatever reasons it generally means LESS features. So if you see posts complaining about it being a crappy port; perhaps they are complaining also about the gameplay. Would a clickable interface and better kb/m controls make this a better port? Sure. An acceptable one? probably not.

I was just told on another forum that the demo is enabled with Nvidia 3D vision. Anyone here check that out?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm not sure about this either, judging the game's story from the demo. Let me clarify then.

Being Obsidian, I really looked forward to a non-conventional story with unique and creative angles, not a story told a million times before. Go find the big bad bad guy or woman and defeat it. I've seen and played enough games (or watched stories on film and television) to predict where a story will go just from the first five-10 minutes or so. Only game, I haven't been able to do so with in recent years: Witcher 1...

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

My first attempt was around 5 usually one-shotted or sniped while I was trying to readjust the camera.

I don't think that fight was meant to be played with only Lucas.

BTW:Dose anyone know if AI companions are forced upon you in single player?

Played again as Lucas, hardcore - he is definitely more durable, and easier to play - by the end of the demo I still hadn't worked out some of the ways you can use Anjali more effectively, but with Lucas it's a simpler world. Still quite fun though, you're not mashing attack all the time.

Vera was a lot more difficult for Lucas because of retribution, which would kill me in about 2-3 hits if I ignored it. That's good stuff - in co-op I imagine Lucas would have to really tank up on that one.

Finally managed to play it. Played with Lucas in Hardcore. I liked it, here are some of the things that 'hit' me :

- how the heck am I going to beat Vera in the retail game? I died 6 or 7 times! Better learn not to trigger her skeleton trap. Her attacks were varied, I liked her as a boss. Too many lights though.

- good variety of enemies, especially among the Lescanzi. Regular grunts, armored guys with swords, guys with two blades and the witches.

- whoever designed the key-binding was probably stoned. I can't hold Shift to launch the enhanced versions of the abilities. I really hope we can change the binding in the retail version, I think the M&K controls are relatively good except for that particular point. My middle finger isn't going to like the game though, keeping the button pressed down like that can't be good at long use.

- anyone else found the 'Ancient Shield of the Legion' for Lucas and thought 'What is that thing?' :) ? The contrast with the normal round shield was impressive.

- only french version, but Katarina and Leona not only have an accent, but it sounds like they struggle with the language, talking rather slowly. Really weird. I think I prefer Anjali's voice to what I've heard of the english version.

- I hope the bug where the character is facing the camera while in dialog will be solved.

I had a half hour bash with Lucas, skipped all the dialogue because I'm too ill to care about plot, first impressions are...pretty solid, combat and movement feels a tad sluggish but not unfixable, I'm most impressed with the engine, it was smooth and very nice to look at with not a single visible glitch, I can easily imagine a fully fledged RPG rocking balls in Onyx.

- I hope the bug where the character is facing the camera while in dialog will be solved.

This happened to me too and I couldn't stop laughing for some odd reason. It was just funny to have my character breaking the fourth wall... Heh, oh well. ;)

This happened to me too and I couldn't stop laughing for some odd reason. It was just funny to have my character breaking the fourth wall... Heh, oh well. ;)

Did you see this bug in a multiplayer or singleplayer game?

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

This was during the single player game, on my xbox... Happened when I was talking to Katarina. To be honest the amount of bugs I've had in the demo are pretty minimal (through 2 play throughs). =) The only other one I had was when I killed a Lescanzi mercenary and he flew up against a wall and stuck on it for a few moments, twitching, before he slid down the wall and back onto the ground. Nothing nearly as bad as the corpse bugs in the games that use the same engine as Oblivion (like FO3 and New Vegas).

I also ran into this bug in a single player PC run while using Anjali, don't remember who the conversation was with. But I've now done three runs through the demo and it's only happened the one time. Haven't seen any other bugs.

-==(UDIC)==-

I just finished playing the demo today. For me, this game is a huge disappointment and I won't buy it. (I was seriously considering to buy the game before the demo)

The biggest problems are:

1) I just don't feel I'm hitting the enemies, it just feels like as if I'm just hitting the air and that kills the fun factor for me. That's why I'm bored while playing. The best feel of hitting is in Diablo series and Torchlight I think.

2) I hated the inventory screen, If the developers used just paperdoll inventory screen like in Ds1 and 2, it would be much much better for me.

3) While I liked the shadow and light effects and the mystical game world, the textures are below average, for example, the rocks look worse than 2006 game Titan Quest.

4) I just hated the controls and the camera, couldn't focus on the game while camera automatically zooms in and out!

5) I use Helmet but I can't see it on my character! That's really ridiculous in a 2011 game!

6) Numbers of skills seem so limited compared to Dungeon Siege 2.

Well, I wish Gas powered games made the Dungeon Siege 3 instead of Obsidian.

It was just one of the 2 games I have been seriously waiting...

Edited by themo

I just finished playing the demo today. For me, this game is a huge disappointment and I won't buy it. (I was seriously considering to buy the game before the demo)

The biggest problems are:

1) I just don't feel I'm hitting the enemies, it just feels like as if I'm just hitting the air and that kills the fun factor for me. That's why I'm bored while playing. The best feel of hitting is in Diablo series and Torchlight I think.

2) I hated the inventory screen, If the developers used just paperdoll inventory screen like in Ds1 and 2, it would be much much better for me.

3) While I liked the shadow and light effects and the mystical game world, the textures are below average, for example, the rocks look worse than 2006 game Titan Quest.

4) I just hated the controls and the camera, couldn't focus on the game while camera automatically zooms in and out!

5) I use Helmet but I can't see it on my character! That's really ridiculous in a 2011 game!

6) Numbers of skills seem so limited compared to Dungeon Siege 2.

Well, I wish Gas powered games made the Dungeon Siege 3 instead of Obsidian.

It was just one of the 2 games I have been seriously waiting...

1. Agree. Combat feels a bit...floaty?

2. Consoles, unfortunately.

3. Yeah, textures are a bit blurry although a dev has said that this issue has been fixed in the final release. The lighting and spell effects are great, though.

4. I had problems with the camera but once I disabled the Autocorrecting camera, it was manageable. I would prefer the camera to be a bit more zoomed out.

5. Lucas doesn't wear helmets. Anjali does though. If you look closely, her "helmet" refers to her hair braid and yes, it changes.

GPG doing DS3...well, they did do Space Siege (which I heard was an abomination to gamers everywhere). Also, having a single character is the direction Chris Taylor wanted to take the series. Meh.