PC Demo - Post your impressions.

Did you like the PC demo?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What were your thoughts?

• Loved it.
    • Good, but needs some tweaking.
    • Meh, didn't enjoy it.
    • Epic Fail.

So, I finished the demo yesterday night with Lucas.

First thing that impressed me was how swell the engine runs and looks. This isn't some clunky NWN2 or AP, this is actually a well optimized engine, and it's even Obsidian's own. Looking forward from more titles using this tech.

Umm... I would be impressed with the engine if it was 2006... and even that would be pushing it.

My two florins.

I've finished the demo with Anjali and got about halfway with Lucas.

Graphics & Sound

Works very well. The world is on the generic side, but the art direction is pleasing and the little details here and there make it come to life. (I like the flocks of birds flying off and crowing as you approach them) The lighting and shadows both look really quite good and make the game quite atmospheric. I also really like the blurry effect used for the distant land that you see here and there. Shame you see so little of it though. None of the music stood out for me yet, but the sound effects are rather good. The best thing about the graphics, I thought, are the spell effects. Very well done. The second best thing is that the game runs very, very smoothly. I put all the settings as high as possible and it runs great with no stuttering or glitches or bugs that I've seen.

UI & Gameplay

The interface seems to work well. Nothing spectacular, but no complaints. Inventory seems to be easy to use, so the game won't be an IMS (Inventory Management Sim), thank god. Can't stand having to go through games looking at my inventory screen more than i actually look at the gameworld. The camera and controls took me about 10 minutes to get used to (on PC), which is a lot better compared with some other games I've played. (Obsidian's other games among them.) I don't like that the camera view is quite restrictive though. I'd like to be able to look around a bit more and be able to move the camera more freely. The way it is now makes the game feel slightly

did anyone else feel this game played and looked like something that came out 5 years ago?

Snap.

While the environments ok and the lighting is nice, the character models are NWN2 quality. Gameplay also seemed...... Old is the best way to put it, having said that it was sort of fun. Won't say anything about story and characters given a demo is not enough to make a fair judgement. Overall, I not sure I'll be getting this (50/50).

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

the character models are NWN2 quality.

what's with all the hate there? o:) I found them to be very nice, good textures, good animation. what's your point of reference?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

when Anjali switches to that blue naked chick... o:):woot:

whaaaa :o how did I miss that :lol:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

the character models are NWN2 quality.

what's with all the hate there? o:) I found them to be very nice, good textures, good animation. what's your point of reference?

Everything released after 2006. Witcher 1&2, DA 1&2, ME 1&2, Fallout 3&NV, Divinity 2, Risen, Gothic 4 etc. I didn't expect that quality, but I expected better then I saw.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Witcher 1, DA 1&2, ME 1, Fallout 3&NV, Divinity 2, Risen, Gothic 4

oh come on :shifty: on my machine DS3 looks better than any of those

Walsingham said:

Witcher 1, DA 1&2, ME 1, Fallout 3&NV, Divinity 2, Risen, Gothic 4

oh come on :shifty: on my machine DS3 looks better than any of those

:lol:

Must be my machine...

Fallout 3&NV

No. You can argue the others but that is as bad as it gets. :ermm:

There is no arguing, the rest are technically better(Character models and textures). As for FO3 and New vegas, don't make me post pics.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Kids nowadays always want "more and better or else". It's because they never learned to be a bit humble.

In other words, I agree with sorophx. Characters look good enough. Not groundbreaking, but not a distraction either. Well, except when Anjali switches to that blue naked chick... :shifty::ermm:

So, we should buy this game out of a sense of piety now? The graphics aren't terrible, but certainly not AAA.

Kids nowadays always want "more and better or else". It's because they never learned to be a bit humble.

In other words, I agree with sorophx. Characters look good enough. Not groundbreaking, but not a distraction either. Well, except when Anjali switches to that blue naked chick... :shifty::ermm:

So, we should buy this game out of a sense of piety now? The graphics aren't terrible, but certainly not AAA.

Huh?

It's easy. Don't like the game, go away and play something else.

There is no arguing, the rest are technically better(Character models and textures). As for FO3 and New vegas, don't make me post pics.

Vegetation in NV (with mod)

35756-1-1288307118.jpg

Vegetation in DSIII

show-gamepix,46015.jpeg

And technically half of the effects DSIII provides I'm missing from many other games.

Edited by C2B

:ermm:

oh boy oh boy oh boy :shifty:

the model looks good to me, maybe people were talking about the NPC models, though.

Walsingham said:

I'd say it looks a bit better than Sacred 2, especially when it comes to lighting.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Vegetation in NV (with mod)

Vegetation in DSIII

And technically half of the effects DSIII provides I'm missing from many other games.

Characters in DS3

screenshot2011060820462.jpg

Characters in FO3 & NV

falloutnewvegasscreensh.jpg

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

And now lets compare a first person shooter with a game that is played in birds eye view!

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

FO3/ FONV are rpg's
FO3 rpg
rpg

:ermm:

blessed be the ignorant

Walsingham said: