PC Demo - Post your impressions.

Did you like the PC demo?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What were your thoughts?

• Loved it.
    • Good, but needs some tweaking.
    • Meh, didn't enjoy it.
    • Epic Fail.

Plays like a mediocre console port. I really hope this isn't a sign of what to expect in the future from Obsidian as it's definitely the worst game they've designed to date.

"When the foul sore of envy corrupts the vanquished heart, the very exterior itself shows how forcibly the mind is urged by madness. For paleness seizes the complexion, the eyes are weighed down, the spirit is inflamed, while the limbs are chilled, there is frenzy in the heart, there is gnashing with the teeth."

Seemed to be a solid demo. More camera options would be nice. Controls seemed bit weird at first. Leveling was damn nice, good amount of choices to specialize your character.

After finishing it:

Controls still feel bit weird. Interface is bit too much in the middle: map should be moved more towards the upper right corner, abilities and face should be moved more towards lower left corner and dialogue should be moved more down.

Maps felt bit too "corridory".

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Well, I had a blast playing the demo. A lot of the complaints some 360 players made (armor/weapons not showing differences, no combat physics) were utter bunk. I did run into one issue where the camera would constantly spazz out. Turning off the Autocorrecting Camera seemed to fix it though.

And kudos to Obsidian for their awesome Onyx engine. It looks nice and runs nice. I don't know how but the game runs great on a Pentium 4. :ermm:

Anyone play both demos and have an opinion as to visuals?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My impressions:

-graphic style is awesome. game on my old pc looks great and smooth on high.

-really like animation, effects etc.

-this is not "old ds", but game is quite good

-i need keymapping

-tutorial box must be smaller or need option to disable it

-in dialogue, this box must be smaller. the text of choice must be on top, choices must be on bottom, because in that way this look strange. dialogue must be repeatable. if i miss some text i need to see it once more. this option is important to me

-wtf with full map? i wanna see the map when my character is in any stage of game. give us full map of world and map of situation.

-i need to opening and taking things to my inventory on clicking on it. not by pressing E key. this is not a console game. im playing with mouse!

i really like game. wanna buy it, but only when some devs give me a word of game improvements after release

On PC you have like 5 options regarding Visuals (Thats naturaly without standard schmuck like AntiAliasing and Resolution.) and fine tuning in the ini (if you spend the time)

Edited by C2B

On PC you have like 5 options regarding Visuals (Thats naturaly without standard schmuck like AntiAliasing and Resolution.) and fine tuning in the ini (if you spend the time)

I'm more wondering if it's improved or mainly the same. I swear that the trailers looked bettwe than what I saw on the 360 demo. My memory is generally terrible.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's horrid the way combat system was designed.

:ermm: it's better than in Witcher or DA2

I wouldn't know as I haven't played either but "horrid" in my original post refereed to mouse&keyboard controls.

As for my problems with combat system - they may not be very common,

the game simply insists on using mechanics I hate with a passion.

I gave it a try, playing with Anjali.

The camera is terrible and makes combat a cluster****. Whenever you dodge, the camera goes all over the place and you lose track of your enemies (a camera fixed behind the character would've helped a lot here). Movement and combat also feels off somehow, like everything is moving through syrup. Things don't feel fast-paced, it's just very sluggish overall.

I also don't like the green and blue orbs, it makes me feel like I'm playing Fable. What happened to potions?

Level design is also very bad in the demo, it's just following one long corridor. Is the entire game like this? Environments also feel barren and empty.

UI feels very consolish.

Overall, very disappointing... because I'm sure there's an interesting story hiding underneath it all. But after being spoiled by Divinity 2 & its expansion, which were both outstanding, I really can't bring myself to wade through this.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Just finished the demo with both characters. I had and still have a hard time to get into the controls. It's totally different than other games of that type that I've played (which isn't a lot... Diablo 1+2, Sacred and Torchlight). The graphic is pretty good and the game runs super smooth, feels polished.

I am a bit surprised about the pc port though... The interface is very consolish and there isn't even any way to configure the keys and such. The first time I've started up the game, I was hammering the I and C key to open up my inventory and character screen, but nothing happened. As there was nowhere a keylayout to be found in the game, I was pressing all keys one by one until I've found what I have been searching... That definitive needs some more love.

To the characters... That sword-dude really isn't my type of character. The woman felt much better, though possible that her hoover-style and flaming hair looked just much better. :)

I think I like the way the skill system and the abilities work. Would need to get used to it first, which mainly plays into the general controls once again... Needs to be learned first. What I also liked is the dialog and text stuff on bookshelves and such. That gave some background information and was nice to read.

So... I really don't know if I should buy the game or not. I honestly don't know if I could ever play it very long in singleplayer. If at all, coop would be my only way, because else such type of games can bore me very fast (didn't even finished Torchlight. After I've entered the second town, I just stopped playing, even though the game wasn't that bad). But as I am at work most time of a day, it can become hard to find friends to play with...

In any case, I'll guess I would only play that woman with the guns. :>

/Edit: I've voted "Good, but needs some tweaking." while "tweaking" being the interface stuff on the pc version.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Enjoyed it, played as Lucas 'cause I dig the classical greek hero look he's got going on which is a refreshing change for a protagonist and really enjoyed the easy and intuitive controls and absolutely stunning visuals which though not of witcher 2 quality were still eye catching. The engine seemed steady as a rock and though Ravens Rill seemed a bit lifeless i'm not expecting Assassins of Kings depth from a dungeon siege game, the other characters appearances gave interesting hints as to their involvement (i'm guessing Kat's sis isn't destined for a happy fate) and all in all I think i'll nab it when it comes out.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm not sure how anyone can cite Divinity 2 as a game with good combat.

Now that you bring it up, combat in Divinity 2 does the job and isn't worse than similar action RPGs. At least you don't have to struggle with the camera so you can click/shoot/fireball your enemies to death in peace.

With a better camera, DS3 combat wouldn't be worse than Sacred 2.

I hope, at least, that the game is much more playable with a controller.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Hm, I didn't had a problem with the camera in combat. What I had a problem with was all that light effects and stuff, while I've lost track of my character. But that was close to the end with that second character following you, spawning fireballs and whatnot.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The demo was fun! It controlled very well with an xbox 360 controller. I didn't even try the KB+M as I am not interested in playing this game with those input devices.

I had two issues.

First, I want the camera to be totally free. It is really annoying that it can't go down below a certain point and that point is really far up! I really don't care if the camera occasionally collides with the ground or other objects. Please, please, please allow the camera to have a wider range of movement.

Secondly, the game would only display "letter boxed" on my CRT no matter which resolution I chose. This may be a bug with the newest nvidia driver but if it isn't this get's a huge WTF. The game doesn't appear to be scaling to 4:3 format at all and forcing letter boxing is pretty half-assed.

I'd like to see more advanced video options, either in game or in an .ini file. Since the game seems to have pretty low requirements and ran basically flawlessly I'd like to be able to crank up texture filtering, etc. Also being able to turn off the bloom / hdr would be nice since I think it looks like you are simulating the effect of having cataracts.

All in all, I am very excited about playing the game next week. This is the first obsidian game I have pre-ordered and the demo got me really excited!

I just played a couple of minutes to get a feel for it, so here are a few initial impressions.

1. The game doesn't detect my controller at all. I'll have to try it with the 360 controller emulator.

2. The game performs brilliantly. It's rather pretty, and with everything maxed out, it runs smooth as butter.

3. The game shows keyboard and mouse prompts for input in the character screen. It's a basic feature but, unfortunately, not a given in many games.

4. The character screen is huge and sports huge fonts. It's great to use on my big screen TV, but a bit of a waste if I'm playing on your PC's monitor. Lots of screen real estate is wasted, and it forces you to switch between several panes in the character screen

5. I've found the M&K controls fine and easy to control. I'm using WASD to move and the mouse to attack and it works fine. 1, 2, 3, Q, E, C, and Space are all easily reached and fairly intuitive for me to use. The only issue for me is that I have a tendency to click with the mouse when interacting with the environment instead of pressing E.

6. I feel that two types of attacks within each stance would have been better. It could have added a little spice to the combat through variation and combos. The following might have worked: Slashing and stabbing for Anjali's human form, explosive and burning for her fire form, sword and shield bash for Lucas' shield stance, Horizontal and vertical slash for his two-handed sword.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm using WASD to move and the mouse to attack and it works fine. 1, 2, 3, Q, E, C, and Space are all easily reached and fairly intuitive for me to use.

I kept trying to sidestep, and to dodge to the side instead of forward/backward, it's kind of strange no to have this possibility... I'd rather have A and D for movement and mouse for camera control

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It's space to roll, I believe.

Ok, the 360 controler emulator allows me to play with my gamepad, and it is much better than with the keyboard. The only problem with this solution is that I only get 360 gamepad button prompts. Other than that, the only thing I'd request is more control over the camera angle.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It's space to roll, I believe.

Ok, the 360 controler emulator allows me to play with my gamepad, and it is much better than with the keyboard. The only problem with this solution is that I only get 360 gamepad button prompts. Other than that, the only thing I'd request is more control over the camera angle.

For better or worse the xbox 360 controller is essentially the reference controller for all windows games these days. The bright side is that it's a great controller and you can buy one for like 35 bucks, which is relatively inexpensive.

I completely agree with you on the camera angle. I'd like it to be totally free, but I'd be happy with at least being able to get it a LOT closer to the ground and a LOT farther away from the character. Also it'd be nice to be able to zoom the camera arbitrary in and out rather than just having the two distance presets.

the camera and controls will be fixed by the community right after release anyway

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.