PC Demo - Post your impressions.

Did you like the PC demo?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What were your thoughts?

• Loved it.
    • Good, but needs some tweaking.
    • Meh, didn't enjoy it.
    • Epic Fail.

Just making this thread to collect all impressions for the PC demo in one place for the devs to see.

Initial thoughts from threads around the net seem pretty damn negative so far, everyones complaining about the unintuitive controls and labelling it as a "bad port". Hope these aren't accurate for the sake of the PC gaming community...

I'm still downloading it, I'll update with my impressions shortly.

Edited by WTF

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bad port, but it needs a good amount of tweaking. Adding 16:10 proper support and refining the control scheme (or at least give a way to change the key binding!) would go a long way, UI works decently (though could have been improved on PC).

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bad port, but it needs a good amount of tweaking. Adding 16:10 proper support and refining the control scheme (or at least give a way to change the key binding!) would go a long way, UI works decently (though could have been improved on PC).

While I understand this. Games adding full support for every type for every type of resolution/aspect ratio are and were never a standard in the pc business. Actually, pretty much an exception overall. At least its not stretched is it?

Edited by C2B

First post here hi.

I really enjoyed the demo so far and the gameplay is fun. But i must say it needs work on the controls.

But since its out 17th of june, they probably wont work on it and i probably wont get the game untill it gets cheaper in a few months.

From the sound of it a gamepad is highly recommended.

I don't get why PC gamers suddenly decided that controllers other than M&K are unworthy of their time. Alternate controllers used to be a staple of any PC gamer's setup and besides, gamepads are a user interface like any other. You don't refuse to use a steering wheel for your racing games on the principle of the thing, do you?

Lots of games are designed to control better on a specific controller, and they're better for it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't get why PC gamers suddenly decided that controllers other than M&K are unworthy of their time. Alternate controllers used to be a staple of any PC gamer's setup and besides, gamepads are a user interface like any other. You don't refuse to use a steering wheel for your racing games on the principle of the thing, do you?

Lots of games are designed to control better on a specific controller, and they're better for it.

we are not saying, we just prefer to use kb/m over gamepad, just like console gamers wouldn't like to use kb/m over their gamepad. If it's racing game, I gladly use my gamepad, however not with RPGs, KOTOR, Dragon age: Origins to name a few, all worked fine with kb/m.

Using kb/m or gamepad, should be personal choice but it definitely shouldn't compromise each other!

I just don't have a gamepad and I'm not attracted to buy one. I play on laptop and don't want to have numerous extensions to travel with.

So yes, I refuse to use a steering wheel for racing games, but it's easier since I don't play racing games.

I don't get why PC gamers suddenly decided that controllers other than M&K are unworthy of their time.

it's not that I don't like to play with a gamepad, but a PC game without a proper M+K control scheme is a bid odd :ermm:

you can get used to DS3's controls, but it's still very hard. and combat is unforgiving, a single mistake can mean a reload. it's tough as it is, no need to make it even more difficult. I don't know how well it plays with a gamepad though.

overall it's left a very good impression on me. the voice acting is meh, but other than that I liked the demo.

I like that the game promotes exploration, again, the combat is very good (reminds me of Risen, but the enemies are a lot faster and tend to surround you if you're not paying attention). and there's tons of loot, I found almost 50 different pieces of equipment for my char alone.

the game looks good. the interface is nice and easy to navigate. the skills/proficiencies system is neat, though I couldn't really understand what stats do for the character.

the writing is top notch as usual, lots of lore, though I don't like the plot's premise, too cliche for my taste, but it's a hack'n'slash after all. I'm definitely buying the game as soon as I get in contact with my usual retailer.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I meant it wasn't intuitive. stuff like Momentum, a good interface means I don't have to read the help file to understand how it works and what it does.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Meh. It's obvious that this is a console game through and through.

- Corridor maps (the village was ridiculous)

- K&M controls suck, obviously made for gamepad

- HUGE FONTS everywhere

- messy UI (even for a console game), no filters in shop

- 2 camera modes: close and very close. Seriously? I was looking forward to zooming out in isometric view

GL with it, but it's not a game for me. Hopefully Diablo 3 will deliver.

I agree. The interface is epic fail. Immersion is ok, combat is good.

From a control point I don't understand why there is no gradual zoom in-out: Mouse wheel just keeps switching from close to far, no matter which direction I'm rolling it, which is annoying.

Camera is so damn ****ing close I don't see the combat. Needs to be 150% of the current distance, probably more.

No point and go there movement like in previous dungeon sige, which is terrible since my character should be able to find a path alone. To top that it would give me time to find an ok angle of camera for a particular fight.

No saves.

Tutorial area blows: I have to scroll over the help files for about good ten minutes to find out how to use skills, no information on dodge (space+move to a direction) and I only stumbled upon the stance/form for anjali changing hotkey "Q" by pure dumb luck.

Story is OK.

Loot gathering also sucks: you need to be damn close to an item, face selected item, then aim at item with the mouse, to pick it up. No "Z" button for old time dungeoneers, instead we have a degenerated dancing clickfest for getting every single piece of loot.

To close my impressions: The demo is not nice: In dungeon siege, you could go till stonebridge. It didn't **** around with stuff that told you constantly to buy the retail version, it just ended there.

no filters in shop

there was a shop? :ermm:

No saves.

the demo is pretty short, and your char can't die, so no point in saving the game. most Steam demos don't have saves anyway, deal with it

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

Played through a bit with Anjali as well. I liked playing Lucas but on the whole, I found Anjali a lot more fun. Especially enjoy the switch you do from ranged to close combat, as well as using stuff like the Fire Jackal and Aura of Immolation. Feels a bit more "refined" than playing Lucas.

I also found that I liked using the right mouse-button moving a lot more for just moving around in the world, think the camera feels better to use when doing the right mouse-button moving. In combat, I think the WASD works better though.

Loot gathering also sucks: you need to be damn close to an item, face selected item, then aim at item with the mouse, to pick it up. No "Z" button for old time dungeoneers, instead we have a degenerated dancing clickfest for getting every single piece of loot.

You can pick up loot using the E key when close to it, you don't need to aim with the mouse.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Seemed to be a solid demo. More camera options would be nice. Controls seemed bit weird at first. Leveling was damn nice, good amount of choices to specialize your character.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I bought a 360 pad for my PC back when Overlord was released. This was back before I had a 360. I wouldn't recommend playing that game without dual analog sticks. My only complaint against games that play better with a gamepad is that I spilled tea on that pad and need to get a new one.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder of the PC demo. I need to see how this is before I decide which version to order.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Finally played the demo:

- Controls are horrible for keyboard & mouse, I kept losing my bearings in busy fights and my character would attack in random directions.

- Dialogue & cut scenes suck

- Enemies/combat are repetitive

- No penalty for dying? You hit continue and you just keep playing right where you died :/

Going to cancel my pre-order until there's at least a couple of patches and a price drop.

Tried again with a controller and it definitely plays better. Good for the console crowd I guess.

One thing I couldn't figure out: how do you use abilities? I got the charge for Lucas and I can't seem to use it or assign it to a button? And yea, I realize it's shield stance only.

Tried again with a controller and it definitely plays better. Good for the console crowd I guess.

One thing I couldn't figure out: how do you use abilities? I got the charge for Lucas and I can't seem to use it or assign it to a button? And yea, I realize it's shield stance only.

Abilities are linked to 1-2-3. They're showing from left to right in the HUD, on the lower left corner of the screen, near your portrait and health/focus. It's definitely not the best control scheme, but it's hardly unplayable.

Well that demo left me unimpressed.

It's not only the horrid controls but also the camera problems and the way combat system was designed.

It's nice that good deal of attention was paid to the story and characters but in this type of game I hold those issues secondary to the gameplay.

It's horrid the way combat system was designed.

:lol: it's better than in Witcher or DA2

Walsingham said: