Clever american

"...New World Order"

*click*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yes, discard valuable facts because of the mention of one weakly defined concept.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

If you want me to take the point seriously, find me someone making the point seriously.

Before I make you watch a show about Clauswitz done with muppets.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

He's working from some solid facts, which you can use to make your own conclusions.

His might not all be spot on, but nothing is stopping you from making your own. From what I've seen he uses mostly regular media and a few well known books.

His style is a bit of a turnoff but its obvious who the target audience is.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I mean the opposite of offence when I say that I am certain you can come up with a better way of making the same point than having some hand waving nutter do it for you.

-Elwood Blues

There are not many ways to put broad themes in a 15 minute package for the uninformed.

If its over 15 minutes no one on the internet gives a damn. Or in real life.

So what you're saying is that my opinion isn't worth any effort from you? Cheers. I'm bound to pay attention now...

-Elwood Blues

So what you're saying is that my opinion isn't worth any effort from you? Cheers. I'm bound to pay attention now...

Don't be snide.

The video is good for what it is. Which is an opinion backed with a few news clippings, I put it up as an interesting piece - not as a final word on anything.

While extremely theatrical in the way common to american discourse, its not so bad or ludicrous as to warrant outright dismissal, although I'm not expecting jubilant acceptance either.

Also, you're not exactly expressing your own thoughts on what you think of Al Kaida.

I though that was "The Quiet American"

Also, you're not exactly expressing your own thoughts on what you think of Al Kaida.

I should have thought my opinion of Al Kaida <sic?> was more than abundantly expressed all over this forum.

Since I haven't watched the video I can only assume that being a NWO nut the chap in question belives that AlQ don't exist and it's all a massive lie. Which is a view so contemptible that I would urinate on it, were the technology available.

-Elwood Blues

He doesn't believe that.

Watch the video.

I'm not watching the damn video!

Summarise.

-Elwood Blues

Summarise.

Al Kaida was made by the US+UK+Saudis to combat Soviets in Afghanistan and has since been used as a vanguard/support in the destabilization of countries opposed to US, even post 9/11.

cites many major news publications and even a video of a major Al Kaida commander present at dinner in Pentagon with top US brass several months after 9-11

accuses US of sliding into totalitarism

It's pretty common knowledge that the US funded insurgent groups in Afghanistan to combat the Soviet Union, but it is a ridiculous stretch to say it goes further than that. These types of huge conspiracies suffer from the fact that there are too many people who would need to be involved for it to stay quiet.

Just like the Stargate program!

Boo, at this juncture I feel compelled to invoke O'Hanlon's razor:

Never attribute to Malice that which can be explained by stupidity

Cut it out and put it above your desk, like I have. It makes understanding politics and history much easier. Also, subscribing to internet based tin-foil hattery eventually makes you look like an arse.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Summarise.

Al Kaida was made by the US+UK+Saudis to combat Soviets in Afghanistan and has since been used as a vanguard/support in the destabilization of countries opposed to US, even post 9/11.

cites many major news publications and even a video of a major Al Kaida commander present at dinner in Pentagon with top US brass several months after 9-11

accuses US of sliding into totalitarism

If you really are a student of politics then I suggest you switch on and try harder. Or I guarantee you will waste your entire academic career believing in a fantasy.

And that would be a damn waste.

-Elwood Blues

Guest The Architect
It's pretty common knowledge that the US funded insurgent groups in Afghanistan to combat the Soviet Union, but it is a ridiculous stretch to say it goes further than that. These types of huge conspiracies suffer from the fact that there are too many people who would need to be involved for it to stay quiet.

Yeah but that logic doesn't bode well with your typical conspiracy theorist. They think that the mainstream media is in on the conspiracy and preventing these conspiracies from becoming public. The only way that could work, is if the internal feeds the media are getting are all dodgy and corrupt. Even then, the number of people that would have to be involved for that to be true really damages their credibility. Besides, investigative journalism has come a long way. I love reading BBC news articles and watching their documentaries. Top notch.

This is why I don't believe 9/11 was an inside job, for instance. Surely someone involved in the controlled demolitions would have come out by now. Imagine the money they could make, far more than the so called bribes they get. And even then, anecdotal evidence is hardly convincing, unless you have a group of people who all cite the same kind of story and legitimately check out who they claim to be.

Some people just like to pretend that they're an intellectual hero combating the forces of evil. Makes them feel good about themselves. "I am an enlightened Jedi Knight, I see through the Sith deception, I have uncovered their lies and will fight to bring down their evil empire!" Yep. People need to learn the difference between fiction and reality, but the romanticism of conspiracies is too powerful for some to resist. They will probably get more popular because of this "internet age" we live in. While the rest of us who actually are in the know, will go about their lives, and in 20 years time we'll still hear conspiracy theorists saying, "The New World Order is coming soon!"

Yeah but that logic doesn't bode well with your typical conspiracy theorist. They think that the mainstream media is in on the conspiracy and preventing these conspiracies from becoming public. The only way that could work, is if the internal feeds the media are getting are all dodgy and corrupt. Even then, the number of people that would have to be involved for that to be true really damages their credibility. Besides, investigative journalism has come a long way. I love reading BBC news articles and watching their documentaries. Top notch.

This is why I don't believe 9/11 was an inside job, for instance. Surely someone involved in the controlled demolitions would have come out by now. Imagine the money they could make, far more than the so called bribes they get. And even then, anecdotal evidence is hardly convincing, unless you have a group of people who all cite the same kind of story and legitimately check out who they claim to be.

Some people just like to pretend that they're an intellectual hero combating the forces of evil. Makes them feel good about themselves. "I am an enlightened Jedi Knight, I see through the Sith deception, I have uncovered their lies and will fight to bring down their evil empire!" Yep. People need to learn the difference between fiction and reality, but the romanticism of conspiracies is too powerful for some to resist. They will probably get more popular because of this "internet age" we live in. While the rest of us who actually are in the know, will go about their lives, and in 20 years time we'll still hear conspiracy theorists saying, "The New World Order is coming soon!"

Haha, most definitely this. :thumbsup:

Hey Boo, while we're trading tirades by nutjobs, here's one I think is right up your ally: http://www.timecube.com/