FO: NV (DLCS) Discussion

I'll be the first to admit that the joke density in FO2 wasn't to my taste, and that this is part of the reason why I think FO1 was a better game. But, to me, this isn't because it was jokey, per se, but because a significant percentage of the jokes were simply not funny.

It's not my call to say what is or isn't "Fallouty," but I like games better when they avoid attepts at humor that fall completely flat. I haven't gotten far enough into OWB to have a cogent opinion on the overall quality of its humor, but I haven't seen anything yet that approaches the memorable un-funniness of, say, the Hubologists or the Vice President. So far, I'm willing to except the premise of the expansion-- it is being done in the spirit of what you might see in a Fallout-universe midnight B-movie screening at the drive-in. And if they can pull that off, I'm all for it.

Edited by Enoch

I always liked Lenny's "I am the master, you are the learner" combat taunt. Good for a chuckle.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Sorry, I can try to explain it to you, but I can not understand it for you.

we feel the same way.... though we obvious am coming at this from a complete different place.

fallout gots funny dialogues and situations, but more than that, the entire setting, and everything in it, is based on the most outrageous 1950's b sci-fi movie cliches and tropes all collected into one post-apoc crpg. you got the seriousness o' the master and his super mutant army, without getting that the entire scenario is absurd? if Gromnir makes a play in which talking vegetables and fruits act out what amounts to Hamlet, and we keeps the fruits and vegetables stony-serious, is anybody gonna view as serious? a 6' tall talking and ambulatory avocado, even if he is reciting act 5, scene 1, is clearly absurd. our melancholy protagonist holds forth a gleaming bowl o' guacamole and speaks thus: "alas, poor yorrick! i knew him." the folks at nma would probable see as some sorta deadly serious commentary on the plight o' migrant farm workers. *snort* congratulations, in spite o' all the abject absurdity o' glowing green radioactive goop, robo brains, and enormous mutated mole rats, you still only see the serious.

so, we can try to explain...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

we feel the same way.... though we obvious am coming at this from a complete different place.

fallout gots funny dialogues and situations, but more than that, the entire setting, and everything in it, is based on the most outrageous 1950's b sci-fi movie cliches and tropes all collected into one post-apoc crpg. you got the seriousness o' the master and his super mutant army, without getting that the entire scenario is absurd? if Gromnir makes a play in which talking vegetables and fruits act out what amounts to Hamlet, and we keeps the fruits and vegetables stony-serious, is anybody gonna view as serious? a 6' tall talking and ambulatory avocado, even if he is reciting act 5, scene 1, is clearly absurd. our melancholy protagonist holds forth a gleaming bowl o' guacamole and speaks thus: "alas, poor yorrick! i knew him." the folks at nma would probable see as some sorta deadly serious commentary on the plight o' migrant farm workers. *snort* congratulations, in spite o' all the abject absurdity o' glowing green radioactive goop, robo brains, and enormous mutated mole rats, you still only see the serious.

HA! Good Fun!

ANY setting can be absolutely absurd but work as serious pieces because of it's tone. Why does LoTR take itself so seriously? Its got WIZARDS, and ORCS. That is ridiculous! How dare it try to be emotional and serious! To discredit the entire work as for the lolz because of the setting is a bit heavy handed.

I think, to put it most bluntly, if you don't see the difference in tone between Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 (or Old World Blues for that matter, to be on-topic just a little bit) then I... well, don't know what to say to that really. Of course, one can debate until the end of time how far any individual thinks you can stretch the Fallout setting and have it still feel like Fallout. Fallout 2 really disappointed me when I first played it when it came to the setting and all that. It still seduced me by way of it being such a huge game but there were so many wtf moments when I first played it.

For me at least, the setting has lost a lot of its core appeal and "mystery" I suppose. I still enjoy it because every once in a while they still hit the hammer on the head (Vault 11 for example). But I mean, even looking past the tone of it all, Fallout 3 and NV are just so different than the older games in terms of how they play that I still have trouble of connecting the first game (and even the second one, despite its setting wonkyness) with these newer ones. And I mean, there was what... 10 years between Fallout 2 and 3.

To me it feels sorta like the Godfathers. I actually like Godfather 3 quite a lot but it feels different. Too much time in between releases, the director was obviously in a very different state of mind. Same thing with these games, plus how massively the gaming industry itself changed during those years. Pretty much everything is hugely different.

Anyways, really looking forward to the Lonesome Road. Hope they can make something truly memorable out of it, the potential is certainly there. The Ulysses tapes in OOW were nice teasers.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

HA! Good Fun!

ANY setting can be absolutely absurd but work as serious pieces because of it's tone. Why does LoTR take itself so seriously? Its got WIZARDS, and ORCS. That is ridiculous! How dare it try to be emotional and serious! To discredit the entire work as for the lolz because of the setting is a bit heavy handed.

this is part o' the problem. is NOT discrediting to observe that there is obvious (and at times heavy-handed) humor in fo. for some people it appears that the admission that the fallout setting were silly is somehow a condemnation... recognition o' humor in fo is a scathing rebuke. wrong. maybe this is the first hurdle.

regardless, your comparison to tolkien is suspect. tolkien were creating an english mythology. kinda tough to pull off without elves and magic and such. the earliest lit always includes magic and monsters... beowulf, gilgamesh, etc. compare to super mutants and mutated mole rats? really? come now. that being said, if tolkien's elves and mages and orcs were as cartoony/campy as fo setting staples, then it not matter how dire the threat o' sauron, lotr would also be considered silly.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Fallout 2 really disappointed me when I first played it

I played Fallout 2 first. the game blew me away, I decided to try Fallout 1 (against my friend's advice, he thought the first game was inferior). and it really disappointed me. I haven't replayed Fallout 1 since 2000, so I might be forgetting something, but my impression was not too different from what I'd seen in Fallout 2 (if we take the setting).

frankly, I found a lot of FO2's jokes very funny. I think that kind of approach to making the game suited it more, being borderline ridiculous but at the same time serious, that's how I see my Fallout :)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

People who played FO2 first do seem to find it the better game.

Not across the board of course, but it seems fairly common.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Probably other expectations then.

At least it shows that both games are definitive different, even though they are sharing the same graphics. Just like Fo3 and NV are different games (to get back to the topic somewhat).

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Likely.

I played FO1 first and I think it is far superior. I never even finsihed FO2 since I found it pretty dull and unfocused. But someone who played FO2 first would most likely be disappointed by the lack of size and lower levels and less generalized goofiness of FO1.

They are very different games, despite appearing similar at first glance.

Likely.

I played FO1 first and I think it is far superior. I never even finsihed FO2 since I found it pretty dull and unfocused. But someone who played FO2 first would most likely be disappointed by the lack of size and lower levels and less generalized goofiness of FO1.

They are very different games, despite appearing similar at first glance.

"Size" was indeed a factor when I played it and decided that I liked it. For all it's goofiness, it did have a few bright spots. If they had just dropped San Francisco (as an example) and invested those resources in places like Vault City (the bigotry theme) and Broken Hill (racial themes), possibly elaborated more on the powerplay of NCR versus The Den and VC for unaffiliated places like Redding (hypocrisy theme) etc. it wouldn't have hurt. Just imnsho of course :)

Oh yes, and the Car and the improved "inventory management" for players and party members. To this day, I still like that I didn't have control over my party members other than sticking out general guidelines that they would try to follow within the limitations of their personality.

Anyway, regarding the actual topic, I think I might break one of my principles and start by buying Dead Money one of these days, just to try it.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm certainly not condeming anyone for liking one over the other. I think which ever game one comes to first would set your expectations for the other, and since they are quite different, that expectation may get in the way of enjoying the second game you chose to play.

FO2 had a lot of good stuff. Some of the locations were good, the better companion interaction and control was good, I thought the larger size of the world map was overall a positive.

But FO2 had SO much stuff that by default some of it was bound to be good, almost by chance.

i played fallout 1 first. it instantly became my favorite game. then i played fallout 2 and loved it (even declaring it better at the time, mostly because it offered MOAR!!), still, all my fondest memories of the original games actually are moments from fallout 1.

So now i say i like them both a lot, for slightly different reasons.

and yes the tone did change for fallout 2.

and yes fallout 1 is funny. (actually funnier than fallout 2 imo)

and yes, if you can't see anything humorous about fallout 1 then your taste in humor is so different than mine that i won't bother discussing it with you, we're just too different.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I HATED that bloatfly! First saw the thing and I was like

Pah! A bloatfly! Legendary... sure. :rolleyes: I think I lasted two seconds. Then I'd have epic long battles battles where I'd pop enough pills and boosters to stock a pharmacy and still end up dying somewhere around 3/4ths of it's health. I finally beat it when it got stuck on the environment. >_<

and yes, if you can't see anything humorous about fallout 1 then your taste in humor is so different than mine that i won't bother discussing it with you, we're just too different.

I'm certainly not arguing that Fallout 1 is not funny. Its just the kind of funny I much prefer over Fallout 2 funny. Fallout 1 is very Dark Humor funny, and not everyone gets dark humor. One person can laugh at it and the other will look at that person laughing and think they are sick. There are dark humor movies I've watched that I didn't get at all and thought the film maker was sick. Others I've watched, loved and recommended to friends and those friends thought 'I' was sick. :lol:

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

it's more subtle, more "keen", if you must. I can't agree it was "funny-er", different kinds of funny

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well, it does the same amount of damage as the Legendary Deathclaw, but has more than twice its health. I blasted it with the Brush gun while Veronica used her Gauss rifle. It went down quickly.

Personally I thought

was best.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Well, it does the same amount of damage as the Legendary Deathclaw, but has more than twice its health. I blasted it with the Brush gun while Veronica used her Gauss rifle. It went down quickly.

Personally I thought

was best.

How did you have Veronica with you? Mod?

As for that, it got me the first time too. I looked at it and thought... hmm does the smaller size mean it will be easier... maybe I should pill up... nah! Charge!

I made the mistake of not bringing any good armor into OWB, so some of it has been harder than it would have been. I've spent a lot of time just in scrubs.

it's more subtle, more "keen", if you must. I can't agree it was "funny-er", different kinds of funny

i agree with the more subtle and keen humor, which is more my style, which is why i find it funnier. a lot of the jokes in fallout 2 were too obvious, and thus, less funny. (to me)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

A deja vu... Oh, no wait:

Yes, Fallout has dark humor in appropriate amount, but not lol humor like Fallout 2 with thousands of silly references.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

thousands of silly references.

they're not silly. unless you mean you're the person by whom intelligence is measured, and everything you find silly is silly by default

Walsingham said:

Ehw, why do I still post to that anyway. For you, Fallout is about lol and jokes and pop cultural references, for me it is not. Let's remain like that and be done.

For you, Fallout is about lol and jokes and pop cultural references

not at all, that's what puzzles me. your desire to completely ignore it :sorcerer:

Walsingham said: