FO: NV (DLCS) Discussion

Fallout used to be funny. Like, properly laugh-out-loud funny.

No, it was not. God damnit. What the hell is wrong with these guys?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I find it interesting that I found the ****-toes/fingers joke to be one of the lamest yet both review sites seem to be tickled over it mentioning it over far better gags. I prefer my Fallout a bit more serious and I'm not enjoying this one as much as Lonely Hearts but I'd be lying if I didn't point out that I lol'd hard at some of the jokes. Even one of the non-voiced player comments had me burst out laughing. One of the reviews mentions it but the voice acting is excellent. Many of the gimmicky characters would fall flat if they weren't delivered perfectly. It also seems to have a decent length. I'm roughly 60-70% through (based on exploration/quest status) and I've put 8 hours into the Big Empty. Its silly, but its generally better silly than Fallout 2's low points especially considering that it is a... contained silly.

I think the more serious parts of Fallout tend to be the best and most memorable bits, but I don't mind some sillyness in the setting, especially in the context of a DLC. Certainly Old World Blues isn't as powerful as Dead Money in impact, at least so far, but yeah, it really is quite funny and as GDM says the lines are made by the voice actors, which is a rare and beautiful thing in video games.

I'm liking how it links to the other DLC, especially to Dead Money - the interconnecting little bits of lore are awesome.

Enjoying the dlc so far. Not really sure if it was the patch or dlc that made my FNV really unstable. Crashing every 1 or 2 hours when it's supposed to start loading the next area :)

Hate the living, love the dead.

I'm pissed at myself for walking in there in a remnant armor, but otherwise I'm enjoying it.

What armor would you have preferred?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

fallout were funny. what has always confused Gromnir is the # o' hardcore fans who never got the funny. is like the folks who not see the funny in kill bill movies. in any event, owb sounds as if it is kinda a joke on the peoples who never got the funny o' fo.

am perhaps curious enough to play.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm pissed at myself for walking in there in a remnant armor, but otherwise I'm enjoying it.

What armor would you have preferred?

desert ranger or some other medium armor that's cheaper to repair. I don't have monies to repair my armor and i'm dragging ass everywhere

I recall a number of humorous bits in Fallout 2.

For example, having a man break down the door while I was in bed with his daughter and forcing us to have a shotgun wedding. I can't imagine any one treating that a serious drama.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

fallout were funny. what has always confused Gromnir is the # o' hardcore fans who never got the funny. is like the folks who not see the funny in kill bill movies. in any event, owb sounds as if it is kinda a joke on the peoples who never got the funny o' fo.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah, right. Show me all the funny in Fallout. And don't come with Fallout 2 now.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Fallout was funny right from

Actually it was, the first one just didn't relay so much on outright jokes.

Seriously - whole series started when a guy fell in vats, merged with life support system, developed psychic powers and decided to conquer the world.

Fallout without any form of humor in it is fallout in name only.

according to the vault, you will be able to respec your traits.

"Like all New Vegas add-ons, Old World Blues raises the level cap by 5.[2] Also, the add-on offers new traits (and give you the opportunity to change your own traits if you've already chosen them) that will allow you to cap your level at 30. "

can this be confirmed? playing on xbox means we cannot simple download a level cap mod.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

fallout 1 was very funny. anyone who says otherwise has either

A) no sense of humor

or

B) not actually played fallout

you get a dog named dogmeat, there are robots with big exposed brains in cases toting shotguns, you get sent to a place called the glow and when you survive the guards are completely dumbfounded, there are SUPER MUTANTS in the game (merely the name alone is funny), there is a creature called a deathclaw, the goddamn opening of the game is set to "maybe" by the ink spots and features 50's style ads and propaganda before panning out to a wasteland. never before has an opening for a game so clearly and definitively set such a brilliantly dark-humored game world up for you.

i could go on and on about why fallout 1 is both serious, and funny, and dark, and lighthearted, but i won't because i already sound crazy as it is.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

when you survive the guards are completely dumbfounded

I remember wanting to punch him at the time... :lol:

Much of the humour was in the detail, like the floating texts, combat messages, the awkward situations you ended up in etc. FO2 was more hit and miss gags, a lot of it feeling contrived, even within the setting. Not all bad though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

One quest from Fallout 2 that sticks in my mind is where a farmer begs you for help, the dialogs allow you to keep upping the reward, even to the point of demanding he cut off a finger as a down-payment, the kicker is when you ask him to saute the finger in butter, he says something like "why you muthasuckah!" and immediately shotguns you :lol:

Edited by WDeranged

HA! Good Fun!

Thing is Fallout 1 was DARK humor. The opening movie has an American soldier execute a Canadian, laugh and then wave home to mom. Its ridiculous, but it represented a world gone mad. Its something you could almost see happening. It was that mixture of post apocalyptic seriousness mixed with 50s SCIENCE and dark humor that was just right. Fallout 2 started adding 'Airplane!' style slapstick third-wall breaking comedy which I don't like in Fallout. I don't mind it in small bits, like this DLC, but it absolutely permeated the Fallout 2 campaign from start to finish.

edit: I'm going to have to redo my traits. I knew it was offered but I didn't realize there were new ones.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat