I'm going to tank for my co-op partner, so I was wondering how tanking works with characters other than Lucas. Is it feasible? Does it make the game harder? Are Reinhart or Anjali good tanking options? If yes, how so?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm going to tank for my co-op partner, so I was wondering how tanking works with characters other than Lucas. Is it feasible? Does it make the game harder? Are Reinhart or Anjali good tanking options? If yes, how so?

anjali will get ripped apart...and katarina and reinhart aren't in the demo

I tried doing this with Anjali last night, I found going into her fire demon mode :) running into a large group of enemies and casting the fire wall ( or whatever its called ) and just sitting there hurling fireballs was most effective. If you level up the buff that gives her a 20% ( I think thats the amount )chance to be healed by attacks then she is almost unstoppable, and baddies fall left & right. I know it's not the true definition of tank but she is a powerhouse.

Reinhart might do alright with his illusion/teleport spell. I think he'd do better as a control option rather than as a tank. If you build him to maximize aoe stuns and slows, he can theoretically keep everything out of reach long enough to be mowed down.

Anjali actually has a lot of options in the tanking department. First, she has a large amount of self-heal: healing from her immolation ability (by standing in it), the 50% healing ability everyone has, and a passive that, when maxed, causes 50% of hits she takes to proc some healing. Second, she has terrain control and an aggro pet (that you can boost hp on). Third, she can causes some fairly significant aoe stuns if you stack Agility (her immolate ability combined with the passive that gives crits a stun chance). While you're stacking Agility, you can pick up a passive that adds a percentage of it to her Block. Later abilities increase healing she receives by a percentage, give her a damage barrier that explodes in an AOE, give more proc benefits to crits, and make her blocking much more brutal.

EDIT: Oh, and you can build her Inner Warmth ability (heals 50% over 30 seconds, defensive ability) to INSTANTLY heal her for 10% of her maximum health. That's one of the few burst healing abilities in the game.

Edited by tangmcgame

Thanks to both of you. That sounds really good. You're making it appear like you can have fairly different builds with the same character.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Also worth noting, it looks like all healing in the game is scaling as it's based on a percentage of maximum hp. So, a tank Anjali is going to be stacking Stamina out the wazoo and then Agility after that. Retribution and Chaos: Vampire would probably be prime perks as well (among others, I'm sure).

You can pretty much tank with any character, depending on how you set them up. My buddy and I played as Reinhart/Katarina, and for the first half of the game his Katarina would be the tank, then later on when we had to re-adjust our strategy I (Reinhart) actually became a better tank.

Lastly, Anjali is a beast when she's tanking. :lol:

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

You can pretty much tank with any character, depending on how you set them up. My buddy and I played as Reinhart/Katarina, and for the first half of the game his Katarina would be the tank, then later on when we had to re-adjust our strategy I (Reinhart) actually became a better tank.

Lastly, Anjali is a beast when she's tanking. :lol:

I would just like to thank you Alvin Nelson for taking the time out of your busy schedule to provide answers on such a pressing topic such as 'Tanking in an ARPG'.