RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

I think the point was that the voice commands for movement via kinect in ME makes things more accessible so you don't have to remember exactly which button does what and pausing the game breaking up gameplay.

Sad.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Jim Sterling reviews Duke Nukem Forever (must read)

That guy is so full of ****, but at least he's a bit funny.

And now I'm wonder what that whole "on an alien ship and babes are being screwed by tentacles" looks like.

Why didn't the aliens come from Japan?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

EA wants to widen audience, Mass Effect too complicated

"Mass Effect has a fairly complicated combat system. You've got story and choice. For some fans that don't buy 12 games a year and maybe buy two or three, some of those things can be intimidating. We wanted to open up the accessibility without hurting the depth or the quality. Kinect is a fantastic technology that allows us to do that."

No comment.

... ;)

From what I can tell, Duke Nukem Forever should have been a $9.99 curio on Steam but they decided to try and pull one over on everyone and milk the corpse for all it's worth, on the other hand I'm a bit confused by all these girlyman reviewers psychologically disassembling Duke as if he were a Heavy Rain character.

I've watched most of the game on youtube and I chuckled quite a bit though obviously I didn't put down $60...

Jim Sterling reviews Duke Nukem Forever (must read)

That guy is so full of ****, but at least he's a bit funny.

I'm so glad I didn't cave in for this game, because I was at one point very excited to play it. About the only thing I disagree with in that review was the offensiveness of the alien rape scene. I didn't find it funny, but I wasn't disgusted by it. Not in the way that reviewer was anyway.

For a game that prides itself on being a big, dumb shooter, you'll be surprised to note that the game features comparatively little shooting. A huge portion of the game is given over to awkward, badly designed first-person platforming and physics puzzles ripped straight out of Half-Life 2, with not even a fraction of the ingenuity found in Valve's games. After the rehash of the Duke Nukem 3D boss fight at the start of the game, it'll take thirty minutes before you're even given a gun.

This is exactly what I noticed in the youtube vids. Short dull fights punctuated by some room puzzle. I hated that in Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2 did a much better job of it.

"Mass Effect has a fairly complicated combat system. You've got story and choice. For some fans that don't buy 12 games a year and maybe buy two or three, some of those things can be intimidating. We wanted to open up the accessibility without hurting the depth or the quality. Kinect is a fantastic technology that allows us to do that."

R00fles! ;)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

R00fles! ;)

I see it for me... Mass Effect Unleashed!

*Groan*

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Talking about taking things out of context. :rolleyes:

The question was:

"Why does upcoming science-fiction role-playing game Mass Effect 3 support Kinect?"

And the answer is:

"Grow the audience and make it more accessible,"

So basically they're saying they want to sell the game to the retards who think Kinect is worth having. Since they can't say that bluntly like I can, they have to use some justification for it, i.e. the piece quoted above. Will it impact users without Kinect, highly unlikely since it's just a feature for specific platform.

Edited by trulez

"We wanted to open up the accessibility without hurting the depth or the quality."

Well, actually, it's just repeating the trend of E3 this year: to make things accessible to get more people without losing hardcore gamers. You see it even from the design of Wii U. Also, from a different point of view, even hardcore gamers might begin to like vocal input if it means a kind of come-back of free text input in adventure/role-playing game genres for riddle-solving and/or get info from NPCs, for example.

However, as for the content, for my particular taste, I wouldn't like to see too much Hollywoodization while I'd like the game content not to be restricted to fantasy/Sci-Fi genres.

Edited by Wombat

Who is this mysterious hardcore gamer? :rolleyes:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Another (non positive) review for the Duke: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2011...y-offensive.ars

...Duke arrives at a point where two nude ladies promise to lose their pregnancy weight from bearing their alien children, and they plead with you to let them live. (These are the same characters who performed fellatio on you during the beginning sequences of the game.)

The only way past this section of the game is to kill both women.

...You see, the women in the alien craft are being forcibly impregnated by the aliens, and during your journey, you hear a mixture of screams and sexual noises. After I accidentally blew up a few of these female victims in a firefight, Duke made a joke about abortion.

No thanks, that's too far over the top for me. The report on the combat mechanics and game-play only make things worse.

I'll wait for Serious Sam 3 and its 16 player co-op for an old style FPS to scratch my itch.

It's starting to sound like if gearbox hadn't been so insanely offensive about their treatment of women, and sadistic about it, the game probably would have been at least averagely recieved.

Reading some of the user comments it appears the reviewer was overzealous and or mistaken in the part of the review I quoted. Anyway, according to TerminX:

You aren't "forced to kill" the impregnated twins, they die in a scripted event without any player interaction. They don't "plead with you to let them live", either. Duke also doesn't crack abortion jokes when you kill women, those lines are triggered when you kill baby aliens.

The game still too over the top for me but I thought I would add corrections before someone ragged on me for posting misleading information :(

@Calax I do think the misogynistic tone and crass humor adds a polarizing effect that causes some reviewers to really hate the game.

The game still too over the top for me but I thought I would add corrections before someone ragged on me for posting misleading information :p

Misleading information? On the obsid boards? UNIMAGINABLE! :(

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The game still too over the top for me but I thought I would add corrections before someone ragged on me for posting misleading information :p

Misleading information? On the obsid boards? UNIMAGINABLE! :(

only in threads on social issues.

And yeah, I think that tone is going to cause a lot of VERY spread reviews. Although from the sound of it, technically it isn't that impressive so I doubt it'd ever get higher than a 7 without somebody just LOVING the misogyny and not minding getting fired for saying so.

Edited by Calax

DNF was going to get bad reviews anyway. It's sordid past, and every reviewer can be highbrow by hating it. Not necessarily my kind of game, but I've been watching some German guy playing it, still early on that (hm, that makes me a pirate I guess :) )

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

DNF was going to get bad reviews anyway. It's sordid past, and every reviewer can be highbrow by hating it. Not necessarily my kind of game, but I've been watching some German guy playing it, still early on that (hm, that makes me a pirate I guess :) )

Nope, since it was released here last week... :)

Of course, spending time watching other people play games makes you odd, but that's not illegal for the moment.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Of course, spending time watching other people play games makes you odd

you can skip the boring parts :)

I've been watching a let's play of the original Deus Ex, because I never liked the game, but now it seems like a good idea to get the feel of it without actually having to torture myself.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Who is this mysterious hardcore gamer? :)

The way things are going, probably someone who doesn't play BioWare's games.

Whenever someone says "hardcore", you have to ask "compared to what?" It's a relative term.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Of course, spending time watching other people play games makes you odd

you can skip the boring parts :)

I've been watching a let's play of the original Deus Ex, because I never liked the game, but now it seems like a good idea to get the feel of it without actually having to torture myself.

Playing Deus Ex it's not torture, heathen :)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif