RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

It better be not one of those mixed kinds, then it's ice cream in name only.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's got as many leechers as Duke, for what it's worth :*
Are you trying to tell us it's as ****ty as Duke ?

Hm, Dukes got more now, so by that measure Dungeon Siege is even ****tier ;)

Joking aside, I think torrents are a reasonable indicator of popularity, regardless of quality I think Dungeon Siege will have good sales, Obsidian have learnt a bit from Bethesda about marketing, it's been a very high profile release.

*edit* And of course Square have a long record of successfully selling polished turds...not that I think that's what Dungeon Siege is, the demo was fine.

Edited by WDeranged

Joking aside, I think torrents are a reasonable indicator of popularity, regardless of quality I think Dungeon Siege will have good sales, Obsidian have learnt a bit from Bethesda about marketing, it's been a very high profile release.

What exactly have they learnt from Bethesda, especially considering that they're (obviously) not in charge of the marketing? Anyway, happy for the Feargus' slaves if DSIII sells well. :*

What exactly have they learnt from Bethesda, especially considering that they're (obviously) not in charge of the marketing? Anyway, happy for the Feargus' slaves if DSIII sells well. :*

I'm only making an observation, I've not noticed many of Obsidian's previous games having the marketing ubiquity of Dungeon Siege, other than New Vegas.

What exactly have they learnt from Bethesda, especially considering that they're (obviously) not in charge of the marketing? Anyway, happy for the Feargus' slaves if DSIII sells well. :thumbsup:

I'm only making an observation, I've not noticed many of Obsidian's previous games having the marketing ubiquity of Dungeon Siege, other than New Vegas.

Well, not delaying it 4 times and being multiplatform helps too.

they say there's C&C in DE:HR, so it could very well be an RPG :thumbsup:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

IGN early impressions think DNF is crap.

From what I've seen of youtube & gametrailer vids they may be right. If the game had come out in

, or 2004 to compete with Half-Life 2 & Doom 3 it might have been fantastic. Speaking of Half-Life 2, the graphics look about on par with that game, if not worse.

The human characters sure do... Nothing else looks THAT out dated.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I can confirm that DNF is pure ****.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Hm Dungeon Siege 3 out already, that was a surprise.

Where?

Torrent sites, I presume, since the release date is not until next week in Europe and the week after in NA.

You suck.

Hopefully that doesn't kick me from the forum...but you get my hopes up, I'm like...WHERE...WHERE! and then I find out that it isn't actually available...at least from legitimate channels which I'd go through.

On more ironic news...I suppose this shows how stupid DRM is once again. DRM for something that may be popular is like throwing a challenge to the Hackers to hack the game. The quicker they do it, the more they can flaunt it.

If this game doesn't sell as well as they think it should, I'm betting they'll blame it on this, even though most people like me weren't even going to buy it on PC in the first place...NOT because it get's pirated...but because the DRM causes too much hassle for legitimate buyers.

I am getting it for PS3 though...hardcopy doesn't force me to be connected to an internet just to play or authenticate that yes...this thing that I bought in a store that should be proof enough that I got it legitimately is actually...gasp...legitimate.

It's not like the Pirates are going to use their game to be authenticated or anything via DRM.

(Duke Nukem Forever was even more ironic, in pointing out what I've already stated before, Piracy is actually easier and more rampant on the consoles...DNF came out first for them in the piracy game if I read the articles correctly).

So...another week and a half to go before I can actually get DS3. Still waiting. Some times it sucks to be a legal and lawful game player...I wait for a game and hope it's not going to have some copy protection screw me, while all the pirating kids get to play.

I was considering preordering it and decided not to. There are a ton of games coming out and I just wasn't sure. It turns out it was a good idea. Final IGN Review is in and it is a 5.5. :lol: Average Press score review is a 6.2 and average reader review a 6.5. Sounds like this game is essentially Half-Life 2 with less interesting combat and even more annoying physics puzzles where you have to stop every level or so to figure some sequence out.

What I want to know is how it took 14 years to squeeze it out. It should have one of the longest and most impressive campaigns of all time.

Normally quality is time multiplied by money, but occasionally you run into projects that just seems cursed. No matter how much resources you throw at them, it feels like going in circles. Time and money is burning in a big bonfire, but the quality isn't visible anywhere because the project lacks vision and direction. Been there, felt it on my own body a decade ago :rolleyes:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What I want to know is how it took 14 years to squeeze it out. It should have one of the longest and most impressive campaigns of all time.

I recall it being said that it was a problem of constantly wanting to add stuff every time another new game came out. But I've not heard of anything from the final product that reflects that, such as portal guns and gravity panels.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Don't believe the reviewers.

DNF is awesome.

I'd like to believe this is a case of the reviewers getting it wrong, but watching large chunks of it online and reading about it give every impression that it is mediocre. I'm not going to risk it myself until the price drops way down. I did enjoy the recent Alien vs. Predator game & Alpha Protocol despite both games being trashed by reviewers. A difference I see though is there was a fanbase that 'got' these games, while fans of Duke 3D are as disappointed as the reviewers.

On more ironic news...I suppose this shows how stupid DRM is once again. DRM for something that may be popular is like throwing a challenge to the Hackers to hack the game. The quicker they do it, the more they can flaunt it.
Considering Steam games are cracked regularly, that's no argument.

I recall it being said that it was a problem of constantly wanting to add stuff every time another new game came out. But I've not heard of anything from the final product that reflects that, such as portal guns and gravity panels.

Well, that was years ago. By the time Portal came out, that was pretty much not done anymore.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

If it wasn't in development hell sure.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra