XBOX360 Demo Impressions

I downloaded it when I saw the reminder here earlier. Played through the whole thing with Lucas, and I was very well pleased. Decently challenging on the normal level, with fluid combat and what looks like a robust loot and upgradesystem. On top of that, it looked excellent, one of the better looking games I have played (though, admittedly, most of the games I play seem to get hammered for bad graphics).

I really felt the VA was above average as well, and the art design very pleasing. Overall, I'd say that the demo lived up to the faith and trust I had in Obsidian. Very much look forward to playing the full game, and I see myself putting 150+ hours into this puppy, just to master all classes and go through the whole story with a friend online, which is at least 5 playthroughs:)

crossing my fingers it does as well as it deserves and gets some DLC.

You can either play with Lucas or Anjali. I thought the VA on Lucas was solid, slightly "noble British" I guess is how I would describe his delivery.

yeah demo-a-ton was a good laugh, as are the explanations on why you cannot access certain areas "quicksand, undead mules..." somethings else is mentioned.

Edited by C2B

Demo was interesting. Character powers seem vaired and fun to use. Graphics are decent. Voice acting wasnt terrible. On the down side though the MP seems tacked on with Gold/Loot/Camera sharing for the entire party(why??). So this went from a probable buy to a definte rental for me.

In case it hasn't been said, you don't need gold membership to download the demo. From the perspective of someone who enjoys single-player games and didn't play DS1 or 2 beyond the first 30 minutes or so, this game looks friggin' amazing. I'm extremely excited for the release of the full game.

I enjoyed the demo, and am mainly looking at this game for SP. I can't wait to check out the PC demo, (I have PC version preordered) to hope for better graphics. I've only ever wanted dropin dropout MP due to just having fun with a friend whenever they drop by.

C2B you seem to be quoting only the positive responses. From what I've read on many other forums (and this one), comments to news posts about the demo release, etc the majority has unfortunately been negative feed back... many of the issues ranging from terrible music, outdated graphics (as in 6+ years), weak storyline, many of the armors have no cosmetic change, and same screen co-op (as if the co-op of this game didn't need another blow...). I am currently at work so have not yet played it for myself... while I still want to have faith that this may be a good game... it really isn't looking good =(

many of the issues ranging from

(1) terrible music

(2) outdated graphics (as in 6+ years)

(3) weak storyline

(4) many of the armors have no cosmetic change

(5) and same screen co-op (as if the co-op of this game didn't need another blow...).

(1) Matter of taste apparently, since some people really liked it.

(2) Those people are morons. We've seen the screens. And not just PR screenshots, screenshots taken from preview builds too. I find them pretty.

(3) As if they could judge that on a demo.

(4) Proven to not be true. There are cosmetic changes, at least between different kind of armor. Anjali, for example, has a kind of armor that covers her head-to-toe while another kind leaves her arms uncovered.

(5) Known for a long, long time.

C2B you seem to be quoting only the positive responses. From what I've read on many other forums (and this one), comments to news posts about the demo release, etc the majority has unfortunately been negative feed back... many of the issues ranging from terrible music, outdated graphics (as in 6+ years), weak storyline, many of the armors have no cosmetic change, and same screen co-op (as if the co-op of this game didn't need another blow...). I am currently at work so have not yet played it for myself... while I still want to have faith that this may be a good game... it really isn't looking good =(

I quoted Twitter so far and a gamebanshee response because the gamebanshee one is actually more interesting to the "longer" members here. Didn't make a big fuss to search for everything. Though I have read more positive than negative responses so far. You're free to post impressions you find.

Then again, I probably frequent other places than you do.

Edited by C2B

*dusts off 360 controller*

Oh damnit, the battery on the controller is dead again. This always happens.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My only complain is the camera. I would like to know if the customization is only changing names and stats ? or if the game offer diferent kind of weapons/armor etc. I did not notice differences in the demo that's why i am asking.

Is there a paperdoll inventory screen like Dungeon Siege 1 and 2? (for pc) This feature is so critical to me, if the new dungeon siege doesn`t have it I won`t buy this game. I hate classical Rpg style "equipment" screens, you cannot see the whole item with this screen and this makes me doesn't want to get new loot.

Edited by themo

Well, GAF certainly doesn't seem to be amused.

I don't really take GAF all that seriously besides a couple of users (because it's essentially a GameFaqs with a bizarrely big ego), but I must say that it's not looking promising for Obsidian.

I did say that since when the game was announced. (Not) glad to see that I'm not wrong.

EDIT: Bulk of the criticism is, as always, about the co-op, although one users has harshly criticized the character development system as something that doesn't allow you to different builds. Hopefully that's just hyperbole.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

I see people criticizing the graphics, music, sound effects and voice acting and I just have to shake my head. I guess there's no pleasing some people.

Facts of life: No matter how good looking the game is, someone will call it a PS2 game. I wish every gamer would be forced to start their gaming "career" by playing C64 games for few years and from there slowly move to Nintendo/Sega Megadrive games. Maybe that would stop the unneccary bitching about voice over, music and graphics.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Well, GAF certainly doesn't seem to be amused.

I don't really take GAF all that seriously besides a couple of users (because it's essentially a GameFaqs with a bizarrely big ego), but I must say that it's not looking promising for Obsidian

Thats way too early to say. Its not like we aren't used to controversial games here. At the moment 90% of the loud people are writing the game off regardless of content because of one feature they see as essential. You can't really take a guess yet how this will matter in review scores or sales.

For all the bitchin' about Fable 2. It still sold better than the first (3.5M copies) and was well received.

Edited by C2B

Maybe you should've posted a pic of Devil May Cry 3, Resident Evil 4 or God of War 2.

devil-may-cry-3-dantes-awakening-20050104025307912_640w.jpg

Doesn't really change the substance, DSIII doesn't look like a PS2 game. Don't remember anyone saying that though, just that it looks slightly dated (and on console it seems like it does, because the lighting/shadows pale compared to PC, and that's the strong point of the visuals.. luckily the art direction seems to save it).

I see people criticizing the graphics, music, sound effects and voice acting and I just have to shake my head. I guess there's no pleasing some people.

Facts of life: No matter how good looking the game is, someone will call it a PS2 game. I wish every gamer would be forced to start their gaming "career" by playing C64 games for few years and from there slowly move to Nintendo/Sega Megadrive games. Maybe that would stop the unneccary bitching about voice over, music and graphics.

Yes because typically when someone compares a current generation title to the graphics of a PS2 game they mean it literally... It's usually an over exaggeration to get the point across that the graphics are not up to the standards of this generation. See people instantly identify that PS2 = bad graphics by today's standards. If I were to use the current worst title graphics wise of this generation as a comparison there would be a lot of people that would not get that link.

I am by no means stating that graphics make a game. However when a company can't even make a game look nice then you seriously wonder about the 'talent' that the rest of the company is made up of. I would like to see how DS3 looks on my tv before I actually comment about the graphics on the game, however going by the youtube videos of the demo and also Obsidians last game (Fallout) I have very little hopes that it's going to look any better... Obsidian from what I can tell is a company that typically has pretty terrible graphics (going from the past two titles they have released, I have no further knowledge about the company prior to that).

Fallout: New Vegas had to use Bethesda's version of Gamebryo, because they only had ~12 months to make the game. This is the first time Obsidian is using its own engine, Onyx.

Edit: And of course, Onyx looked very, very different in the Aliens RPG leak. I suspect they've gone for lower textures because they want the game to run well on lower specs, handle lots of monsters on screen, and be played zoomed out.

I am by no means stating that graphics make a game. However when a company can't even make a game look nice then you seriously wonder about the 'talent' that the rest of the company is made up of. I would like to see how DS3 looks on my tv before I actually comment about the graphics on the game, however going by the youtube videos of the demo and also Obsidians last game (Fallout) I have very little hopes that it's going to look any better... Obsidian from what I can tell is a company that typically has pretty terrible graphics (going from the past two titles they have released, I have no further knowledge about the company prior to that).

So pretty much what you are implying is if a game doesn't have top notch graphics the company is bad in other aspects as well (because of some **** quality youtube videos and a game using outdated GameBryo engine). Yeah, graphics don't make the game, but apparently it tells everything about the company :-

Show me a company that makes a game using Bethesda's Gamebryo look spectacular on 360/ps3 in a very limited time with certain budget restraints put up by the publisher (they can't hire gazillion artists to work on the game). Alpha Protocol looked just like pretty much any other Unreal engine game that came out in 2009.

Hate the living, love the dead.