XBOX360 Demo Impressions

Just felt like making a thread for it. Does anyone here even have a 360? :x

My owns saddly out of commision for a while.

Aren't you Swiss, C2B? That means you'd get the demo after the game is released anyway.

I know. Was just mentioning it on a follow-up to the "do you have a XBOX360" question.

I won't get a new one before july anyway.

Its awesome, it looks great and is basically everything I've been waiting for in an arpg. Of course knowing the online play is totally gimped and worthless makes this all irrelevant. Removing classes and making you play "named characters" and removing tried and true online play has turned this into a decent single player hack and slash that'll last about 15 hours, where they could have not been so arrogant and changed those two things and made a game that could have lasted a couple of years. Dumb.

Its awesome, it looks great and is basically everything I've been waiting for in an arpg. Of course knowing the online play is totally gimped and worthless makes this all irrelevant. Removing classes and making you play "named characters" and removing tried and true online play has turned this into a decent single player hack and slash that'll last about 15 hours, where they could have not been so arrogant and changed those two things and made a game that could have lasted a couple of years. Dumb.

Level 30 Cap, predefined charachters, highly limited customization (It has more depth though but that doesn't really matter here)

No, it wouldn't have lasted on online basis and it wasn't designed that way.

Level 30 Cap, predefined charachters, highly limited customization (It has more depth though but that doesn't really matter here)

Do you work for Obsidian? Level caps can be raised and all of those other points were just bad ideas...so I guess it was meant to be a single player rpg-lite and not a arpg like the previous Dungeon Siege games. Bad ideas all around.

Do you work for Obsidian? Level caps can be raised and all of those other points were just bad ideas...so I guess it was meant to be a single player rpg-lite and not a arpg like the previous Dungeon Siege games. Bad ideas all around.

Oh, thanks for your generous insight of how games or an rpg "should" be. Truly I'm amazed.

Edited by C2B

Oh, thanks for your generous insight of how games or an rpg "should" be. Truly I'm amazed.

Not an 'RPG' in general, but that is how Dungeon Siege should be. You have to be careful taking an existing series and drastically changing it, especially if you are going to remove many of the elements that made it so successful (from a fan base perspective) in the first place. Obsidian took a risk by drastically altering what Dungeon Siege is, and from the response in the forums many are not happy about it. This is one thing you seem to be missing in many of your posts C2B, you are not looking at these arguments from people who really enjoyed Dungeon Siege, and the key features that made those games so great for them. You are looking at it from an 'this is how Obsidian do it, too bad' perspective. I mean if a developer is going to get our hopes up by reviving a series, they could at least stay true to it, and not create a 'sequel by name only' game.

Not an 'RPG' in general, but that is how Dungeon Siege should be. You have to be careful taking an existing series and drastically changing it, especially if you are going to remove many of the elements that made it so successful (from a fan base perspective) in the first place.

Ah, I'm just going to repeat my argument from the other thread:

1. Theres more ways than one to stay (at least a little) faithful to an original.

2. Theres also more than one group of fans (Stop with the entitlement)

3. "how something should" does not apply generally. Its a personal preference.

Edited by C2B

Not an 'RPG' in general, but that is how Dungeon Siege should be. You have to be careful taking an existing series and drastically changing it, especially if you are going to remove many of the elements that made it so successful (from a fan base perspective) in the first place.

Ah, I'm just going to repeat my argument from the other thread:

1. Theres more ways than one to stay (at least a little) faithful to an original.

2. Theres also more than one group of fans (Stop with the entitlement)

3. "how something should" is not anywhere near a fact. Its a personal preference.

1. Yet you provide no examples? If you even mention the lore don't bother. It was next to nothing and was never the main focus.

2. Again you provide no examples. There were two main groups of fans, those that enjoyed it for being the Diablo clone it is, and those that were heavily into modding. Although I haven't heard anything about the modding aspect, I assume that it won't be anywhere as easy as Dungeon Siege 1. These are the groups that played / tweaked the game for years and years after release. Not the story driven minority that played through once and never touched it again.

3. In this case yes it's how I personally feel, and judging from the large amount of posts across various different forums its the way many Dungeon Siege fans feel.

1. Narrativly, gameplay, atmospherical (to name the most important). Also audio, structure, pacing, you name it.

2. You provided enough. Just because you played that game for years to come doesn't make you into something of a god regarding it. Also that still means that a third group as small as it may be exists. And that other groups and mixes between them exist too. Entitlement! (Though I understand this position as I'm also in the Fallout fandom. Just not one of them)

3. Yep. Here we agree. Just clarifing here that "many" isn't anywhere near 100%.

That said I haven't played the game yet. If I play it and I notice that they halfassed the elements it stayed faithful to then I'm sending you an apology message.

Edited by C2B

Let's keep this thread to demo impressions (once anyone gets it), the online MP discussion can go in the relevant thread.

Not an 'RPG' in general, but that is how Dungeon Siege should be. You have to be careful taking an existing series and drastically changing it, especially if you are going to remove many of the elements that made it so successful (from a fan base perspective) in the first place. Obsidian took a risk by drastically altering what Dungeon Siege is, and from the response in the forums many are not happy about it. This is one thing you seem to be missing in many of your posts C2B, you are not looking at these arguments from people who really enjoyed Dungeon Siege, and the key features that made those games so great for them. You are looking at it from an 'this is how Obsidian do it, too bad' perspective. I mean if a developer is going to get our hopes up by reviving a series, they could at least stay true to it, and not create a 'sequel by name only' game.

I have downloaded the demo and gave it a good 20 minutes or so before i turned it off. I have played the other installments and i have to say i am really dissapointed in this one. I was expecting an epic co-op with some emphasis on a great story line. I had friends from all over the world waiting on this game to play over LIVE and really have a nice dungeon crawler like Sacred 2. BUT ohh boi was i wrong .. All i can say is I cannot belive that developers didn't learn form the FAble 2 era ... i mean reallly???? All of this aside. It will make a great single player game and should be considered as one NOT an online RPG. Mechanics are good. I like the different stances and the awesome amount of abilities. I was dissapointed to see that the armor and weapons system was a bit lame ... none of it shows on your character (a bit like the out of date arcade and previous pc title Torchlight). I had hihg hopes for the game, BUt i am not paying full price for a game that doesn't live up to what it was hyped up about. Sorry DS3 u will loose many followers as did the Fable series

There was no hype about elobarte online. In fact how the co-op works now was the first information released regarding multiplayer to controversial discussion.

Edited by C2B

There was no hype about elobarte online. In fact how the co-op works now was the first information released regarding multiplayer to controversial discussion.

out of all that ... that is all you have to say? Whether they created the hype or the fans created it, that doesnt matter. The point of the matter is: you shouldn't be going on about an "intriguing coop system, that we think everyone will like" and let down the hardcore gamers. I said it will make a good single player game, But NOT a good online game; maybe for the seriously casual gamer, but not for the majority

What the marketing said: drop in drop out co-op

What the customers heard: persistent world mmo with pvp, 900 lvl cap, deathmatch, CTF, level editor, free map DLC every month + those funny little umbrellas you see in drinks.

What the customers heard: persistent world mmo with pvp, 900 lvl cap, deathmatch, CTF, level editor, free map DLC every month + those funny little umbrellas you see in drinks.

This is so true, people never do any of their own research and when they find out last second they jump off the band wagon and join the lynch mob.

halarious and true... I was never expecting anywhere close to that... maybe im crazy but when i think of drop in and out coop i think of borderlands and sacred 2 .. where if i drop in and then drop out i actually get to keep the stuff I worked hard for.. Lets be honest .. there is no incentive to play it online