That's one of the ugliest elves I've ever seen. I don't remember DA2 looking that crap, though. Unlucky screengrab?

Are you sure?

uglyelf.jpg

DA2's scores were so clearly bought, from the PC gamer proclamation of "RPG of the decade" (in 2011 no doubt) to Gamespot's almost entirely negative review (which scored it an 8!) the game had almost no redeeming features about it save for it being the sequel to one of the best modern RPGs. The combat was a lazy, rushed thrown together mess of terrible ideas focused on the "everytime you push a button something awesome has to happen" mantra. The story was pretty terrible, the environments were bland and constantly recycled. The whole damn game took place in one city which never, ever changed it's appearance over 10 freaking years.

DA2's scores were so clearly bought, from the PC gamer proclamation of "RPG of the decade" (in 2011 no doubt) to Gamespot's almost entirely negative review (which scored it an 8!) the game had almost no redeeming features about it save for it being the sequel to one of the best modern RPGs. The combat was a lazy, rushed thrown together mess of terrible ideas focused on the "everytime you push a button something awesome has to happen" mantra. The story was pretty terrible, the environments were bland and constantly recycled. The whole damn game took place in one city which never, ever changed it's appearance over 10 freaking years.

One of the worst crimes of that game, I felt, was the terrible map design...

Reusing maps over and over... Really? There were also holes in the maps that weren't properly sealed (anyone who has ever tinkered with a map editor could notice this if they looked hard enough) that led to an infinity of emptiness. The game looked considerably worse, in both design and texture, than it's predecessor. There was zero imagination used in the creation of the map's designs. To be honest, it was insulting to me as someone who enjoys playing games, and as someone who enjoys making maps for games...

I may not like some aspects of DS3, but Obsidian has handled Dungeon Siege's franchise with LOADS of more respect than Bioware had for it's own series.

Ha. The despertaion in this thread is hilarious. I don't know - outside of the subpar demo - how good or bad DS3 but by the fact that itd efenders feel the need to spenmd their time bashing other games says everything need to. That speaks poorly about DS3.

I hope when I buy it it lives up to the fanboys' hype.

P.S. DA2's graphics are fantasic notwithstanding WTFs. I doa gree about the lame map reusal. That was sucky for sure.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Ha. The despertaion in this thread is hilarious. I don't know - outside of the subpar demo - how good or bad DS3 but by the fact that itd efenders feel the need to spenmd their time bashing other games says everything need to. That speaks poorly about DS3.

P.S. DA2's graphics are fantasic notwithstanding WTFs. I doa gree about the lame map reusal. That was sucky for sure.

The only thing DA2 had was its graphics. Everything else was a step back from DA1.

The only thing DA2 had was its graphics. Everything else was a step back from DA1.

I dunno, the graphics engine itself might not have been terrible, but the art direction surely was. DS3 has 1000 times better art direction than DA2 with power rangers for Dark Spawn and Ogres wearing samurai armour for some reason. Also Volourn, bashing the DS3 demo when DA2's demo was an abysmal mess is pretty r00fles worthy.

I say it speaks more to the frustration with the rating system. I know Dragon Age 2 in no way deserved the scores it got, so its an easy target. The Angry Joe review pretty much summed it up: "I know all of this game's flaws warrant a lower score, but come on! Its Dragon Age! I just couldn't bring myself to rate it lower!" Not a direct quote, but I'm too lazy to visit the page and skim around to find that part.

Its just frustrating to see something get bashed in comparison to something inferior because... what? Because a goodie basket wasn't given out for DS 3?

I say it speaks more to the frustration with the rating system. I know Dragon Age 2 in no way deserved the scores it got, so its an easy target. The Angry Joe review pretty much summed it up: "I know all of this game's flaws warrant a lower score, but come on! Its Dragon Age! I just couldn't bring myself to rate it lower!" Not a direct quote, but I'm too lazy to visit the page and skim around to find that part.

Its just frustrating to see something get bashed in comparison to something inferior because... what? Because a goodie basket wasn't given out for DS 3?

DS3 got the scores it deserves. There is no need to bring in unfair reviews of the past, it happened quite a lot over the years. At the end of the day the reviews by IGN/Gamespot/GT/etc rated DS3 fairly and didn't rate it higher or lower than it deserved.

"Everything else was a step back from DA1."

No.

" say it speaks more to the frustration with the rating system. I know Dragon Age 2 in no way deserved the scores it got, so its an easy target. "

Not quite. DA2 desrved higher ratings. Just as likely that DS3 didn't earn ratings as high as its gotten as well.

DA2 makess a good target has nothing to do with quality but who makes it since Obsidian fnaboys have declared BIo as the 'enemy' since Obsidian is looked at as BIO Jr.

DA2 is just as good as DA1. Anyone who disagrees with that statement is flat out wrong.

As for DS3, my finegrs are crossed that it's a fun game.

P.S. Review scores cannot be trusted ever. Both prfoessional or by fans. The only opinion that matters is yours.

DS3 got the scores it deserves. There is no need to bring in unfair reviews of the past, it happened quite a lot over the years. At the end of the day the reviews by IGN/Gamespot/GT/etc rated DS3 fairly and didn't rate it higher or lower than it deserved.

Sooooo "There's been a lot of unfair reviews but at the end of the day reviews are fair"? :)

It's amazing how whenever reviews come up, Volourn is the sole voice of reason - everyone knows there's (a) a fair bit of corruption, (b) a lot of subjectivity, © not a lot of quality control in the entire industry (though of course there are exceptions). Make up your own mind.

" say it speaks more to the frustration with the rating system. I know Dragon Age 2 in no way deserved the scores it got, so its an easy target. "

Not quite. DA2 desrved higher ratings. Just as likely that DS3 didn't earn ratings as high as its gotten as well.

DA2 makess a good target has nothing to do with quality but who makes it since Obsidian fnaboys have declared BIo as the 'enemy' since Obsidian is looked at as BIO Jr.

DA2 is just as good as DA1. Anyone who disagrees with that statement is flat out wrong.

P.S. Review scores cannot be trusted ever. Both prfoessional or by fans. The only opinion that matters is yours.

Anyone who thinks DA 2 is as good as DA 1 is flat out stoned! :)

As for Obsidian fanboys targetting Bioware, some of us probably do but they often get far more resources and time to create great games than Obs yet IMHO Obs usually beats them in what counts. I try to be fair though. I love Bio when it looks like they've actually done some work on their games, like the like Mass Effect series. Its fantastic! When they come out with rushed crap like DA 2 I just wonder... why? Aren't you guys rich? Didn't DA 1 sell enough? Why are you rushing out a sloppy half-assed sequel? Then when that half-assed sequel gets rated as an excellent game and other devs have to work harder with less resources and get slammed because... they aren't Bioware or whatever it pisses me off.

Sooooo "There's been a lot of unfair reviews but at the end of the day reviews are fair"? :)

It's amazing how whenever reviews come up, Volourn is the sole voice of reason - everyone knows there's (a) a fair bit of corruption, (b) a lot of subjectivity,

Don't exaggerate, we've not reached TW2-fans' level yet. We're not going on Bio-boards, and we're not referencing DA2 in every thread.

Perhaps, if they could just fix that camera. Seriously, that's the main reason I couldn't bring myself to complete the demo!

"Perhaps, if they could just fix that camera. Seriously, that's the main reason I couldn't bring myself to complete the demo!"

Really? The camera? Out of the issues DA2 can rightly be criticzed for you attack.. the camera? That's weird... silly spawning monsters, repetive maps, a weaker chaarcetr system, enemies with ridiculous hp are the things people should be targeting not the camera which is pretty darn good. <>

"Don't exaggerate, we've not reached TW2-fans' level yet. We're not going on Bio-boards, and we're not referencing DA2 in every thread."

Thankfully, I'm interested in DS3 not TW2 so I simply haven't paid attention to it or its fnaboys. I pretty much ignore TW2 threads as much as possible no matter the forum.

Hopefully, I'll pick up DS3 next week so I can make the one true FACTUAL review of it. :thumbsup:

"Everything else was a step back from DA1."

No.

Hey Volourn, anyone who thinks that DA2 is as good as DA1 is flat out wrong. See what I did there? Pretty sure even the polls over at Bioware's OWN FORUMS support this.

r00sh!tz!

Edited by Cyn!c

Hopefully, I'll pick up DS3 next week so I can make the one true FACTUAL review of it. :thumbsup:

As factual as your opinion about Alpha Protocol that you never even played? r00fles!!

Hate the living, love the dead.

Anyone who thinks DA 2 is as good as DA 1 is flat out stoned!

I think DA2 was better. It has some great characters, good plot and totally fantastic dialogs, not like the boring prequel, where you were running through dungeons for couple of hours and nothing happened... Didn't like Origins, loved DA2.

And btw. DA2 had the best dialog-wheel I've ever seen. It was something between Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect. Great thing.

Sorry for my english, it's not so good.

Oh yeah I remember that dialogue wheel, the three different that was basically saying yes to the railroaded plot developments but in 3 different tones? That consequence that only seems to have an effect in terms of vaguely steering Hawke's character like he's a more developed and interactive companion? That stupid mechanic?

No but seriously, screw the DA2 dialogue wheel. At least DS3 had actual choices.

Also fantastic dialogues? "I want to be a dragon!"

Oh yeah I remember that dialogue wheel, the three different that was basically saying yes to the railroaded plot developments but in 3 different tones? That consequence that only seems to have an effect in terms of vaguely steering Hawke's character like he's a more developed and interactive companion? That stupid mechanic?

No but seriously, screw the DA2 dialogue wheel. At least DS3 had actual choices.

Also fantastic dialogues? "I want to be a dragon!"

That's what you get from Dumb-downed Age 2.....

Anyone who thinks DA 2 is as good as DA 1 is flat out stoned!

I think DA2 was better. It has some great characters, good plot and totally fantastic dialogs, not like the boring prequel, where you were running through dungeons for couple of hours and nothing happened... Didn't like Origins, loved DA2.

And btw. DA2 had the best dialog-wheel I've ever seen. It was something between Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect. Great thing.

Eh... To be honest I didn't really care for the dialogue wheel in DA2... It felt very limited to me (good guy option, sarcastic option, bad guy option). I will say, though, that I did like the combat system better than DA1, and the skill trees. Everything else, however, I felt DA1 did better.