For an FF game by SE, sure it will get a good review in hopes that the next FF game will be given to the company for a good review.

If that is the case how can you explain FF XIV?

Recognizable brand name and the usual publisher didn't save it from poor critical reception.

And gaming industry has seen it's fair share of high budget - high profile screw ups.

Even back when Daikatana was coming people were still willing to criticize it regardless of weather they will lose the rights to a doom 3 preview simply because upsetting your regular audience with such practices is not worth the short term boost a couple of previews may bring.

Because it's not the FF we're interested in. Its an online game vs. the rest of the series. Still it's a good example. It's one that, even if it's broken as heck, still got rated no lower than a 5 or 6 by many sites...and still has a score of 4 when it was it was basically an unplayable game. Should an unplayable game even be rated a 4? Think about it.

It was a high budget high profile sequel to a successful FFXI so the audience was there.

If publisher investment ruled critical reaction it wound never end up with the sub 50% average on metacritic as it's potential for expansions (and subsequently their previews) was no different than other MMO games.

And I have never heard that the game was unplayable, that usually means serious technical issues rather than bad game design.

And on the flip side - how do you explain the surprise hits?

When games like Halo or God of War first debuted nobody considered them to be a major titles let alone a genre-defining ones.

And then there are games like Vanquish, World in Conflict, Demon Souls that would earn very high scores despite unimpressive promotional campaigns and/or poor commercial showing.

"the total lack of map" :( man, these people aren't even trying

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Finished the game with all characters, got all achievements... I honestly had no motivation to play after the first playthrough other than to get the remaining achievements. Honestly what else is there to do in this game? I suppose I'll add my two cents about the game overall:

Story

Combat - 3/10

Loot - 2/10

Again this is another thing that was enjoyable in the first hour or two of the game, however got boring extremely quickly. The loot table is terrible, the items are not interesting, and they barely have any effect on your character anyway. I think one review put it best, you end up feeling like you are simply a garbage collector. You purchase the best loot in the game two seconds before it's over... No item sets, no socketing, no crafting, no enchanting... The original had a far better loot table, should of just copied and pasted that, I would of been happy and new players wouldn't know it's simply been copied and pasted.

Singleplayer - 1/10

Replayability - 0/10

Multiplayer - 0/10

General Criticism (mainly comparison of lacking features compared to the original)

-

you should try another profession because as reviewer you won't have success. I smell a lot of ridiculous hate . :( The comment about loot ( too human loot system is better by miles) made me LOL and i agree with you on that . Loot need get better between levels ...the only thing i got is lot of white loot; basically the same again and again.

Edited by Alpha

of how many

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

probably all the DS fans from here rushing the various sites to try and destroy Obsidian for ruining their favorite game

Walsingham said:

Looks mainly like people who simply didn't like the demo. It's only about 12 or so reviews on Amazon.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

that's even better :)

Walsingham said:

probably all the DS fans from here rushing the various sites to try and destroy Obsidian for ruining their favorite game
Didn't you know that "The faction of ridiculous hate to Obsidian games" is really big ?:p

those poor souls, don't they know their own hate destroys them

Walsingham said:

Finished the game with all characters, got all achievements... I honestly had no motivation to play after the first playthrough other than to get the remaining achievements. Honestly what else is there to do in this game? I suppose I'll add my two cents about the game overall:

Story

Combat - 3/10

Loot - 2/10

Again this is another thing that was enjoyable in the first hour or two of the game, however got boring extremely quickly. The loot table is terrible, the items are not interesting, and they barely have any effect on your character anyway. I think one review put it best, you end up feeling like you are simply a garbage collector. You purchase the best loot in the game two seconds before it's over... No item sets, no socketing, no crafting, no enchanting... The original had a far better loot table, should of just copied and pasted that, I would of been happy and new players wouldn't know it's simply been copied and pasted.

Singleplayer - 1/10

Replayability - 0/10

Multiplayer - 0/10

General Criticism (mainly comparison of lacking features compared to the original)

-

you should try another profession because as reviewer you won't have success. I smell a lot of ridiculous hate . :lol: The comment about loot ( too human loot system is better by miles) made me LOL and i agree with you on that . Loot need get better between levels ...the only thing i got is lot of white loot; basically the same again and again.

Good thing I'm a software developer and not a reviewer I guess. Why should I for example rate multiplayer a 4 or 5 out of 10 when I found it only just enjoyable for a few hours... and I think the only reason I found it remotely enjoyable was because I was playing with my brother co-op in a video game for the first time in quite some time... and not because of the actual game itself. So it gets a 0 in my book (if I was using the crazy inflated scores review sites use it would be a 5/10). Also this wasn't suppose to be a review from me anyway, it was suppose to be a "Less than a week and I'm done - my impressions' topic, however a moderator merged it into this topic... and I guess it's given the impression I was trying to do a professional review? That's far from the case, it was just my thoughts and a rating to reflect it.

Yes there is a lot of hate towards this product from me, but I would hardly call it ridiculous. Obsidian took a series I absolutely loved and turned it into something I despise... I was looking for the next Dungeon Siege and quite frankly this game fell so far short of that it isn't even funny anymore. Even rating this game on it's own merits and not even using the rest of the series a comparison the game is a below average game.

At the end of the day if Obsidian wanted to make Dungeon Siege 3 they should of made a game that was going to please the fan of the series. If they wanted to make a game that pleased Obsidian fans they should of stuck with a new I.P. or one of their own. Unfortunately they have tried to mix both, that's one of the reasons you see a large amount of negative comments in many forums and reviews. The rest come from the game being pretty terrible game on it's own. What they have ended up with is a game that has pleased some Obsidian fans while completely disrespecting Dungeon Siege fans.

Yes there is a lot of hate towards this product from me, but I would hardly call it ridiculous.

hate is ridiculous by definition, your point is invalid

Walsingham said:

I think the following comment from the IGN review:

"Dungeon Siege III is a dungeon crawler with a boring loot table, poorly implemented multiplayer, and little lasting incentive to continue running around the world once the tedious story ends. "

and from the Gamespot review:

"Dungeon Siege III is a fun but unambitious dungeon crawler that fails to live up to the games that came before it."

Pretty much sum up my thoughts about the game. Although everyone here told me to wait to the game is released / wait for the reviews / etc... I kind of feel sorry for the devs, it's gotta be pretty depressing to see something they have worked so hard on get absolutely destroyed by the media / long terms series fans.

Here's the bulletpoint review from http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dungeon-sieg...y%3Bread-review

The Good

• Smooth flow of loot keeps you pressing forward
  • Your choices steer certain story elements
  • Simple but entertaining combat for up to four players.

The Bad

• A fraction of the length of previous Dungeon Siege games
  • Absurd co-op limitations
  • The camera can be a pain
  • Controls and interface aren't tailored properly for the PC.

6.0\10 - Fair: Games that earn 6-range ratings have certain good qualities but significant problems as well. These games may well be worth playing, but you should approach them with caution.

For comparison ratings, DS1 scored 8.4 (Great), DS2 scored 7.9 (Good). Seems like anything under a 7 isn't recommended by GameSpot.

DS3 is really DS for consoles, though if it weren't for the fact that it's set in Ehb, you'd never realise it's actually supposed to be DS. Fans will miss the ability to customise their own characters which the 4 forgettable characters don't make up for. Basically it's "... a short and simple dungeon crawler with no aspirations to be anything more ... And if you did play [DS1 & DS2] you're bound to be disappointed by how everything that made previous Dungeon Siege games special was stripped away"

Hmm just noticed some additional critiquing on the review page: Disappointing, half finished and has a weak story - Not an issue for DS1\DS2 (they didn't claim story as a major component). Ouch!

Interesting that there is a huge disparity between the big gaming sites and the smaller independent/european ones. What could it mean...

It's Alpha Protocol all over again. Europeans liked it, Americans not so much...

Hate the living, love the dead.