but I've seen at least 10 different accounts

you've been duped, it was the same person stalking you

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It won't be cool if the game is really short. There aren't many options of gameplay modes so if the only gameplay mode is really short ... well not so good I think. Hopefully it isn't short. I don't like to skip 'optional' content though nor do I rush through games so I always take a bit longer than most gamers.

whilst i dont believe for one minute these pirates stating the game is only 10 hours long, i certainly wont be pleased if it is and ive done all sidequests.

the only thing that would then lengthen it is the artificial one imposed by replaying with a different character. which i dont really count in the game length and very rarely do anyway.

For people that only want to play as one character I fail to see the appeal here. Wouldn't you just rent this title? There is no persistent character building so if you just play as Lucas for example your experience will be very limited and over once the credits roll ... do people buy games to only get that limited of an experience from them? People can just gamefly or rent some other way for that. $60 for single slog through the (potentially limited) story with one character seems like you won't be getting a very good deal for your money.

For people that only want to play as one character I fail to see the appeal here. Wouldn't you just rent this title? There is no persistent character building so if you just play as Lucas for example your experience will be very limited and over once the credits roll ... do people buy games to only get that limited of an experience from them? People can just gamefly or rent some other way for that. $60 for single slog through the (potentially limited) story with one character seems like you won't be getting a very good deal for your money.

i personally wouldnt rent a game ever. infact im not even sure you can rent pc games where i live in the UK.

i suppose im in the minority where it comes to price versus length. i mean as an example i bought modern warfare 2 fully knowing it was a short single player campaign, and fully knowing that i would never, and have never, played multiplayer on it.

i was quite satisfied with the game. ive wasted far more money for far less playtime in the past. (i bought street fighter 2 jap import when it first released on the famicom costing

Wait what?

You serious?

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

The person (well a few different people) claimed to have done everything they could find in the game...still only 10 hours.

I've seen similar comments about games like KOTOR I and II, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, etc. People swearing they finished the game in 10 to 12 hours. Every single time, it's taken me twice, sometimes three times the length that person insisted they finished it in.

We'll see in a week's time, but I'd be absolutely shocked if it only took 10 hours to finish, if you did *every possible quest*. Maybe following the main quest and rushing through the dialogue, but I can't see it being the case if you actually did the majority of the quests available.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The person (well a few different people) claimed to have done everything they could find in the game...still only 10 hours.

I've seen similar comments about games like KOTOR I and II, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, etc. People swearing they finished the game in 10 to 12 hours. Every single time, it's taken me twice, sometimes three times the length that person insisted they finished it in.

We'll see in a week's time, but I'd be absolutely shocked if it only took 10 hours to finish, if you did *every possible quest*. Maybe following the main quest and rushing through the dialogue, but I can't see it being the case if you actually did the majority of the quests available.

It probably depends also on how fast you run through the Dungeon. Me myself I predict to need around 15-20 hours from what we know. Less for future playthroughs.

Wait what?

You serious?

Yeah I would never buy this game if I didn't want to play through with each character. If i don't feel like the game will be good enough for at least those 4 playthroughs I won't be picking it up.

I'd probably feel the same, but there are a lot of people out there who are very happy with the value proposition of $60 for 20 hours. You tell them "why not play with all 4 characters" or "don't you want to play longer" and they tell me, "no, if it was longer I'd never finish it, I like it this way so I see the end".

It's weird, I know, but that accounts for a lot of people.

@ Tigranes: Fair enough ... I can understand that though its not my perspective. I mainly just play my current/old games over and over because so few titles come out that I want.

I actually think that playing through as each character and seeing the differences in not just gameplay but hopefully story/dialogues is one of the strengths of this title. Since every character is highly predetermined it makes for a stronger chance for real differences in each playthrough

Please don't compare this to DA2. The game's demo is already 100 times better than all of DA2. I loved Origins, but the sequel was an abysmal cluster (this ain't the codex!). Fighting in DA2 was just horrid garbage. Fighting in DS3 is actually very engaging and enjoyable.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/08/dragon-age-2-review/

thats whats wrong with reviews. DA2.. best RPG of the decade you say..? Don't believe everything you read from gaming sites/magazines/etc.

Also: <a href="http://kotaku.com/328244/gamespot-editor-fired-over-kane--lynch-review" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/328244/gamespot-editor-f...e--lynch-review</a>

Ahhh, yes. Giant bomb. That will be one place I check for a good DS3 review. =)

Please don't compare this to DA2. The game's demo is already 100 times better than all of DA2. I loved Origins, but the sequel was an abysmal cluster (this ain't the codex!). Fighting in DA2 was just horrid garbage. Fighting in DS3 is actually very engaging and enjoyable.

If you read what I put (pcgamers 94% review of the DA2) you would have realized that I was simply saying that looking to reviews ONLY to judge the worth of a product is a terrible idea.

Don't put words in my mouth.

If you read what I put (pcgamers 94% review of the DA2) you would have realized that I was simply saying that looking to reviews ONLY to judge the worth of a product is a terrible idea.

Eh, DA2's relatively high ratings among reviewers despite its shoddy design is largely cause of Bioware's reputation among more mainstream gamers (and possibly EA's hype machine). Obsidian doesn't really have that reputation among game journalists for whatever reason so solid reviews for DS3 is a lot more credible compared to PC Gamer's nonsense RPG of the decade claim.

Eh, DA2's relatively high ratings among reviewers despite its shoddy design is largely cause of Bioware's reputation among more mainstream gamers (and possibly EA's hype machine). Obsidian doesn't really have that reputation among game journalists for whatever reason so solid reviews for DS3 is a lot more credible compared to PC Gamer's nonsense RPG of the decade claim.

Only time will tell I suppose; faith in journalistic integrity seems dubious-- especially pre-release reviews. I wouldn't say that Obsidian and Square-Enix have no reputation amongst journalists (Many big IPs and hits between both those labels). Dungeon siege 3 is on the steam best sellers list, is being promoted as a AAA title and I've seen quite a few advertisements ("Siege the day" :( ).

Edited by Subliminal

Yeah, but the only review you've put as an example is the one example of a review that nobody took seriously because it aired one month before release, when many previews from other magazines and websites were being circumspect about the game. Other reviews were a lot less glowing than this one.

In general, you can easily smell a pre-release review that is less than 'objective' :

- it's often an exclusive, so only one website or magazine can post/print it. In the case of DS3, we first heard of two German reviews, followed by two French reviews and now English ones.

- the website or magazine in question is often high-profile in English-speaking countries. The first DS3 reviews came from relatively high-profile German magazines.

- the game received a massive hype campaign. Although Square Enix apparently did a good job advertising DS3, I wouldn't call DS3 'massively hyped' on the level that Bethesda or Bioware games always are.

- the mark is always really high and glowing. DS3 received the highest score of 87/100, with the first review scores being 80/100, 85/100 (German magazines) and 14/20, 14/20 (French magazines).

We are discussing reviews from professional journalists about the game and whether to them believe it or not. A *cough* version is already out and people who have played it say its generally negative. People dismissing pirates for being pirates are kind of missing the point, pirates are also Dungeon Siege fan boys as much as you or else why would they download it? Unless the *cough* version itself is unfinished. So who do we believe? The fact that we are even discussing such topics two weeks before the game release is already spelling trouble for the game.

Really, if I think the game is any good I think we should already see forum posts praising the game but this isn't the case.

As for the people who played demo and like it, you have to keep in mind that the game isn't bad, it really is just unsatisfying. The game leaves you begging for more but you get nothing. Perhaps due to the campaign being short, perhaps the ending is boring, perhaps due to the lack of any form of persistent characters. I guess you can say the full game is really just a longer demo. So for the people who liked the demo and don't expect anything else then you'll like the game, however if you liked the demo and hope that the full game would be better and last longer then you'll be disappointed.

If you want a comparison, Final Fantasy 13 is criticized for a being boring and running in a straight for 15 hours, but after that you get rewarded with end game goodness and freedom. DS3 is really just 10 hours of that first 15 hours in FF13 with no reward at the end what so ever, although DS3 might be little less linear to begin with it is still nothing to brag about.

The game is only 10-11 hours and the only people that will play all the characters are achievement whores. Kind of hard to find motivation to play the game more then once knowing that it's good bye to your character once the game ends.

Only people that will play all the characters are achievement whores. Kind of hard to find motivation to play the game more then once knowing that it's good bye to your character once the game ends.

Umm, how about those who want to see how your choices effect the ending? Though I guess c&c isn't something the "real" Dungeon Siege fans want, so it doesn't matter. Right?

Also what it comes to opinions of those who pirated the game. Usually these are the people who weren't willing to pay for the game in the 1st place. I would think these people won't have very positive opinion about the game. Because if they actually liked the game most of them would have ordered it after the demo.

Sure there are those as well who just can't wait the extra 7-12 days and must have it immediately, or those who can't afford anything.

Not to mention I would imagine majority of the people who pirated the game won't actually go on forums and openly admit they pirated the game... So there might as well be loads of pirates who liked the game.

So yeah, I would rather trust the reviews at this point and the demo I've played.

Hate the living, love the dead.