Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

This movie looks awesome.

"What are you, a marines biologist?"

I have to say that trailer left me grinning. I would probably go see it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Butterfly Effect.

Some of my friends have been telling me for a long time to watch this movie, so I did to get them off my back.

Fire your friends. Get new ones.

I forgive them this once. The same two guys told me to watch Boondock Saints. I can't get mad at them after that.

I did catch Ghosts of Girlfriends Past when it was on tv the other night. It was surprisingly good for what it was.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It was surprisingly good for what it was.

What was it?

Well, twisting "A Christmas Carol" around into a kind of romantic comedy. Mathew McConaughey and Jennifer Gardner as the principle leads and Michael Douglas as the dead pervey womanising uncle trying to stop his nephew following in his footsteps...

Nothing too serious, nothing too heavy, but with some odd moments of smart and humerous dialogue.

Hm, and on a totally seperate note, something I stumbled across.

Princess Bride Reunion

the-princess-bride_900.jpg

Edited by Raithe

I watched the Crow last night, as tradition requires. (I also watch Groundhog Day at the appropriate date every year). Scandinavian blu-ray version was surprisingly good, always a bit risky with them (as they could be using some cheap knock-off hdtv transfer to make a quick buck). Had similar issues with Boondock Saints in the past, I actually have a German digibook version of it. :D (or whatever that WB project of releasing blurays in a book was called).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Good movie. A lot more adventure than the previous two. I always wondered where the Christian angle comes from. Aslan spells it hamfistedly out at the end.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't understand why it's an issue that the Chronicles of Narnia are, as you say, 'hamfisted.' The entire work is didactic in nature. C.S. Lewis wasn't a fantsy writer. He was primarily a Christian thinker. The point of the Chronicles of Narnia is to promote Christian thinking and belief. If you enjoy the work, enjoy it for what it is. After all, many Christians (especially ones who don't know the self avowed atheist motives of the author) enjoyed the Golden Compass. I mean, I could say that the Golden Compass is pretty transparent in terms of being anti-religious, but that's like saying water is wet. The motive behind the Golden Compass is to promote atheism. The point behind the Narnia books was to promote Christianity. If it weren't for the frantic anti-Christianity that I find on this forum, I would be surprised that it's an issue since the overall more lessons are by and large the same for believers of any stripe and non-believers also. Be a steadfast friend. Be willing to stand up for yourself. Be brave and honest. These values are shared among good people of all times and all places.

There was even a movie about Lewis. I think it was called Shadowlands and, if I recall it right, Anthony Hopkins played the signature role.

I haven't had a lot of time to see movies recently, but I did get a chance to see 16 blocks not long ago. For some reason, I really like it. Probably something about it being about a middle aged drunkard coming to grips with his life. lol

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Stephen R. Lawhead is a better Christian fantasy writer anyways :p

Try reading Lewis' The Screwtape Letters. They're rather brilliant. :p

Rewatched Papillon and at the risk of sounding like a snob, they don't make good movies like that anymore. It was good too, because I needed something to wash out the aftertaste that Priest left.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Rewatched Papillon and at the risk of sounding like a snob, they don't make good movies like that anymore. It was good too, because I needed something to wash out the aftertaste that Priest left.

I saw it in a dusty cellar, in house from the French colonial area - in downtown Pondicherry, which really helped set the mood. ;) But it really is a remarkable movie. So no, you're not a snob.

Fortune favors the bald.

I saw it in a dusty cellar, in house from the French colonial area - in downtown Pondicherry, which really helped set the mood. ;) But it really is a remarkable movie. So no, you're not a snob.

To me Pondicherry always sounds like a small town in Wales.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Caught the last half of Johnny Menumonic last night. ;)

Watching that makes one realize that Mr. Reeves has actually improved his acting....a little. Either that or they just learned he does best with very short lines instead of long speeches ala the "I want room service/I want a club sandwich" scene.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Good movie. A lot more adventure than the previous two. I always wondered where the Christian angle comes from. Aslan spells it hamfistedly out at the end.

Just watched it as well. Thanks netflix. Wanted to buy it but its still 35 bucks on Blu-Ray...

I kept hearing the Narnia stuff was Christian Propaganda but the first 2 flicks were just fun fantasy flicks. Aslan's speech at the end of Dawn Treader was definitely awkward though. Definitely a fun movie though. I think Prince Caspian is my favorite so far though. Any word on if they're going to make more?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hm, and on a totally seperate note, something I stumbled across.

Princess Bride Reunion

Ohhh, I missed your post before. Thanks for putting it up, loved it. :(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts