Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

Watching Transformers with the fan commentary. Damn these are some hardcore nerds.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Chris Farley was pretty funny for his day, but I hardly see what it has to do with spoofs.

I may be missing some sarcasm or joke, but just in case: the Black Sheep being discussed is not the Chris Farley movie but a low budget horror parody from New Zealand dealing with genetically engineered, murderous sheep.

Chris Who?!?

Just to clarify, as TrueNeutral said, this is the one I was talking about: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Chris Farley was pretty funny for his day, but I hardly see what it has to do with spoofs.

I may be missing some sarcasm or joke, but just in case: the Black Sheep being discussed is not the Chris Farley movie but a low budget horror parody from New Zealand dealing with genetically engineered, murderous sheep.

Chris Who?!?

Just to clarify, as TrueNeutral said, this is the one I was talking about: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/

Yikes Tale. If it makes you feel any better, I thought it was funny >_<

Saw Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith still hate how mace windu died,and the clones obeying palpatine and doing order 66. >_<

Mace was too cool to be killed by that emo Anakin. Well with a lot of help by Anakin. The Emperor did zap him good with lightening.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I picked up the complete Star Wars saga on Blu-Ray and watched episode 4 & 5. It looks fantastic, it's amazing what they've done to make it look current.

So you haven't seen the NOOO! yet at the end of Return of the Jedi?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I picked up the complete Star Wars saga on Blu-Ray and watched episode 4 & 5. It looks fantastic, it's amazing what they've done to make it look current.

So you haven't seen the NOOO! yet at the end of Return of the Jedi?

George Lucas has to be the only film director ever who I'd cheerfully lock in my basement and beat with dead racoons. It's as if he's deliberately attempting to destroy his own creation. I can't explain it any other way.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

He's trying to forget his ex-wife.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I should like to point out that the most expensive paid assassination I've ever heard of was for about 50000 USD. We could each chip in a dime...

We were all thinking it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I should like to point out that the most expensive paid assassination I've ever heard of was for about 50000 USD. We could each chip in a dime...

We were all thinking it.

Or we could get a Star Wars hardcore nerd that's displeased with the blu rays and is a sniper on the marines to do it for us.

And we shall call him Oswald.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

He's trying to forget his ex-wife.

Sounds a bit like Michael Jackson's self destructive tendencies, as a tool to distance himself from a former life. Also, didn't his ex-wife rip him off good? He needed the money from the "re-makes"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Trying to be somewhat fair.. a lot of the ideas about the prequel trilogy (and the expanded universe explaining it all) actually are quite interesting. It's just ..well, the execution seems to have sucked a lot of the soul out of it all. There are still elements to enjoy in the films, and the music is still quite stonking.

I mean, take the Phantom Plot - not a great idea for a film, but if you accompany it with the EU novel that's set just before the film, it actually lays out the heavy framework on the political manipulations and why the events happen and just what the fallout will be. Good if you're interested in just how Palpatine is masterminding such events - but not so good if you're looking for a flashy space opera fun film.

But I really lay the blame for the failure at the creation of Jar-Jar Binks and all dialogue resulting from, and the casting of the kid otherwise known as "Manaquin Skywalker" for that wooden and obnoxious performance.

The other element that's always jumped out at me, if you read the novelisation of Revenge of the Sith, it really paints out what people were thinking/feeling and makes a whole lot more sense. The film just..pushed the emo looks and didn't carry it through that well. If they'd been able to convey half the things in the book in the film it would have worked so much more. Seriously.

There are two classic quotes from the book that I can't remember the exact wording, but roughly: one being how Yoda realises he totally screwed the pooch, by spending the last x centuries training Jedi to fight the last war with the Sith rather then how things turned out. (Wise Jedi my ass) , and the other from the Emperor on how the whole set up of the Clone Wars was pretty much just one massive "Jedi Trap", highlighting the major points of it and just how it served to distract the Jedi from what was about to happen and screw their reputation as it got there.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

But I really lay the blame for the failure at the creation of Jar-Jar Binks and all dialogue resulting from, and the casting of the kid otherwise known as "Manaquin Skywalker" for that wooden and obnoxious performance.

Even though Lucas managed to get boring, dull and obnoxious performances out of experienced actors like Liam Neeson, Christopher Lee, Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor, and Hayden Christensen proved in other films (i.e. Shattered Glass) that he is, in fact, a competent actor and showed all evidence of being dedicated to his craft? (Christian Bale gains as much muscle weight for a part as he did for RoTS, it's news, Hayden does it, it's him trying too hard). It had nothing to do with the casting, it has everything to do with Lucas directing. Take into account that the only other Star Wars movie Lucas directed was A New Hope, which contained such genius acting as "Buh I wash gonna go to Toshi station pick up some power converturrrrs!" and had the experienced actors of it's own time like Alec Guinness cringing at his own dialogue every time he had to say something.

I don't get this entitled attitude. The only thing George is doing wrong is not releasing the original version along with the new versions. They're his movies, if he feels he has to change something, it's his right to do so. That you loved the original versions does not mean you own them, and definitely isn't cause to wish DEATH on someone. Especially not over a movie series that consists out of ripoff after ripoff and only became popular because the audience was young and easily impressed by special effects and it came out before movie goers were jaded.

Lucas has said about himself that he's a director that focuses on the edit and the shot rather then the acting. He's willing to joke that when he's directing actors, all he does is pretty much "faster. more intensity. there is no try."

It's one of the things that drove Harrison Ford up the wall back in the original. At the time, they did say to Lucas that "you can write this dialogue, you just can't speak it."

When it was released A New Hope appealed to way more then just the young. You have to put it into perspective, at the time it came out there was a lot of depressing things going on. Star Wars pretty much came out with a total escapist, sense of magic to it. That wasn't about the special effects. It was about the feeling it gave people. It was a clear cut good/evil story with magic in it. It kick started a whole slew of things with its inspiration.

Take for example James Cameron, he was in his 20's driving a truck for a job. Seeing Star Wars prompted him to quit that and concentrate on getting into films.

We can also lay the blame on the film merchandising thing on Star Wars. ;)

I disagree. I think the special effects MADE it escapism. The special effects had never been so good, they were mindblowing, they're what allowed people enough suspension of disbelief to actually escape into it. It looked convincing enough at the time for people not to get into all it's faults.

I like Star Wars a lot and have a lot of respect for what it did for the artform as a whole, but I have no illusions that other than the editing and the special effects they are good movies at all. Even about Empire Strikes Back I can only say... "it's great... for a Star Wars movie".

Edited by TrueNeutral

Should probably look for a digital copy of the original VHS release back, or the Special Editions. I had wondered what Lucas screwed around with this time around, heh, he must be trolling his fans.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've noticed a few really good changes so far, like driving into Mos Eisley. They added a few driving scenes that really fleshed out the spaceport.

I think those were done in the SE. The SE already had a fair bit of fluff to that, they pass the giant beast of burden, I think it pans to show the town, has a lot more people shuffling about, etc.

Machete. Plenty of gratuitus violence and nudity, whats not to love!

It's a digitally created semi-nude of Jessica Alba, not the real thing? She was actually wearing a sports bra type top and exercise shorts.. They just cgi'd it out and gave the "artist's impression".

But it is a fun film. ;)

Machete. Plenty of gratuitus violence and nudity, whats not to love!

It's a digitally created semi-nude of Jessica Alba, not the real thing? She was actually wearing a sports bra type top and exercise shorts.. They just cgi'd it out and gave the "artist's impression".

But it is a fun film. ;)

She was never fully nude in the movie anyway. The shot you speak of was a shower scene, shown from the side, with her arm strategically blocking the good bits. Surprisingly, Lindsay Lohan let the girls out in full view.

The Lie of Star Wars as Entertainment. Blog post... but it would explain a lot of things, especially with the prequel trilogy.

Eh, that whole piece really comes across as jealous and petty. I don't think Star Wars is the end all be all of sci-fi, in fact I think it fits better in the fantasy genre, but the author just seems to be hating.

Star Wars is first and foremost a kids movie. It is made to appeal to them. Adults are not the main target here. I would have liked the author to address that.

I don't like Jar-Jar or he Ewoks, but my daughter enjoys them tremendously. It isn't for me, and so I ignore it and enjoy the cool looking droids.

Edited by Hurlshot