Is Obsidian Just Filling In?

Now here is the big question: GPG (Gas Powered Games) has developed each Dungeon Seige main game so far. Why would they just leave the third game to Obsidian? Why would they not develop it themselves, they are big enough. Or is it because too much time is being spent on Age of Empires Online. Nevertheless, do you think that Obsidian will develop Dungeon Seige IV or Gas Powered Games will, because remember its GPG that has the experience of besieging dungeons.

GPG is a Microsoft-owned studio, and Microsoft sold the rights to Dungeon Siege all the way back in 2006. This doesn't rule out a GPG-made DS, as Square Enix have collaborated with GPG in the past, but it doesn't make it any more likely than other solutions. The thing is, DS2 came out in 2003 or something; the "experience of besieging dungeons" is no longer really a factor - people move on, studios change, and GPG have pursued the strategy part of their portfolio much more in the intervening years.

Does anyone know how GPG is faring as a whole these days, anyway? Taking over AOEO to get it out the door at Beta stage is hardly glamorous work, especially given that the success of that particular game is far from assured, but I'm assuming Supreme Commander did well.

GPG is a Microsoft-owned studio, and Microsoft sold the rights to Dungeon Siege all the way back in 2006. This doesn't rule out a GPG-made DS, as Square Enix have collaborated with GPG in the past, but it doesn't make it any more likely than other solutions. The thing is, DS2 came out in 2003 or something; the "experience of besieging dungeons" is no longer really a factor - people move on, studios change, and GPG have pursued the strategy part of their portfolio much more in the intervening years.

Does anyone know how GPG is faring as a whole these days, anyway? Taking over AOEO to get it out the door at Beta stage is hardly glamorous work, especially given that the success of that particular game is far from assured, but I'm assuming Supreme Commander did well.

GPG is private (they also worked with THQ/SEGA/Square Enix) and THEY owned the Dungeon Siege trademark. They sold it to Square Enix (though I don't know if the trademark went around to other publishers first) and Chris Taylor pretty much stated they now want to focus on Strategy titles. Also Taylor seems pretty happy with Obsidian developing them.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/14...ungeon-siege-3/

Edited by C2B

My mistake with ownership, sorry. But yeah, it's been my impression that they've consciously gone the strategy route.

See GPG is overseeing the development, so does this mean that after DS3 is done and all its expansions (if it has any) out it will end the series? Or will Obsidian make DS4 and will that be overseen by GPG, or will GPG themselves make DS4?

See GPG is overseeing the development, so does this mean that after DS3 is done and all its expansions (if it has any) out it will end the series? Or will Obsidian make DS4 and will that be overseen by GPG, or will GPG themselves make DS4?

For christs sake. Read the interview EXACTLY and don't just assume things. (Sorry for the harsh words)

RPS: So, what’s happening with Dungeon Siege 3?

Chris Taylor: Well, my position on the project is like a, Creative Consultant, given my role in the creation of the franchise. Square Enix asked how we’d like to work in collaboration with another studio that they’d found, and I said “That’s terrific, who have you got in mind,” and they said Obsidian! And I said “That’s perfect! Look no further. You’ve found the best studio for the job. The guys are so talented, and they totally get it, and their working story is right on the money.” So I was pretty happy with that.

The next step was that they went through all of our lore, even the stuff that people never hear about- the reason why there’s a Stonebridge, or what have you, who’s the 10th Legion, who’s The Empire of Stars- and then they create their own extension on that fiction, building their own story off of that.

So what I do is I read through all of their material, and I turn it around 180 degrees, and then I provide some editorial feedback for them.

RPS: Are you also involved in the actual design, the mechanics?

CT: No. I look at their design, their mechanics, and then I provide feedback on that.

No they didn't oversee development. Obsidian sent Taylor their design docs and he signed off on them and Taylor/GPG provided them with Lore stuff. Thats it. They didn't oversee anything but still signed off on what Obs wanted to do. A consultant position. And he was happy with what they did.

RPS: What’s working as a consultant like? It sounds like a nice position to be in.

CT: Well it could go either way. If you were working with a real crummy developer, it’d be a nightmare. They listen to your comments, then they don’t respond to any of it, then they send you back more junk? It’d be Hell on Earth. But with Obsidian, it’s really nice. I’m reading through the story work they did like it was a novel. I started reading it not knowing what to expect, and then it was like a page-turner.

Chris Taylor: I daresay they’re doing a better job than I would have done. I know that’s bull, but it’s true, because I’ve really taken to focusing on RTS.

Meaning he wants to focus on RTS games.

Edited by C2B

Also having seen a review of DSIII. The ending slides hint at further games.

All of that information together means that a speculative DSIV would be done by Obsidian if DSIII sells well. Otherwise the chances aren't high that GPG would go back to it considering AOEO and their future RTS games so another company would do it.

Edited by C2B

*sigh* I hope that doesn't mean that DSIII suffers from the KOTOR2-syndrome.

Got my PM?

Also as far as I understood it wasn't because of open plot threads but because of things that were happening in the slides that hinted to it.

Edited by C2B

Got my PM?

Also as far as I understood it wasn't because of open plot threads but because of things that were happening in the slides that hinted to it.

Oh, yeah, sorry for not replying.

And I hope you understood right. Granted, Obsidian is not the only offender, Bioware and CD Projekt RED did it too apparently.. doesn't make it any less annoying tho'.

A review already? One month before the game actually gets out of the door (can someone remind how soon the first DA2 review appeared?). Do you have a buddy that works at a game magazine?

I thought it was pretty obvious that if DS3 sold well, we could see DLC or expansions. Didn't Feargus or someone else said that DS3's engine was specifically made so that DLC could be added rather easily?

Edited by Sannom

A review already? One month before the game actually gets out of the door (can someone remind how soon the first DA2 review appeared?). Do you have a buddy that works at a game magazine?

I thought it was pretty obvious that if DS3 sold well, we could see DLC or expansions. Didn't Feargus or someone else said that DS3's engine was specifically made so that DLC could be added rather easily?

1. There seems to be no Review Embargo and the magazine will be out on the 25th. Also till then I keep my mouth shut.

2. Yep.

Edited by C2B

Sorry, I only skimmed through the interview and did not read all of it.

When I played the original Dungeon Seige, to be honest, I hated it. I played 10 minutes and then quit. Dungeon Seige 2 was better, but I only played it for five minutes so I don't have a good experience with that one either. Then I hated Space Seige.

When I heard that Dungeons Seige III was going to be made by Obsidian, I thought that I'd give it a try (have a friend buy it and play at his house). Then the thought came to me, what if GPG Takes over Again? I only like a few of GPG's games to be honest.

Who knows about the future, but GPG pretty much has nothing to do with DS3, for better or for worse. It's a nice touch for Obs to ask Chris Taylor what he thinks but it's not like he actually makes decisions on how the game is made.

Also having seen a review of DSIII.

Was it GameStar or PC Games? Because I just read the GameStar review... Why have you not started a new topic for reviews? ;)

Edited by Bendu

Also having seen a review of DSIII.

Was it GameStar of PC Games? Because I just read the GameStar review... Why have you not started a new topic for reviews? ;)

Both

You can start it. I'm a little bound since its technically not my subscription. But you can start it.

Gamestars was typically horrible though. It contains so much information that is just wrong.

Edited by C2B