Lame Prestige Classes...

... Is it just me, or are the prestige classes just ls/ds extensions of the basic Jedi classes? I know the Jedi classes were extensions of the normal classes in KOTOR 1, but that was alright; the Jedi classes introduced a whole new element of play, and the classes mixed in unpredictable ways.

But lets just assume you start out as a Guardian in KOTOR 2. You're obviously focusing on your feats and vitality here, so you can tear people apart with your lightsaber. What sense would it make to choose Jedi Master as your prestige class, when its abilities are probably force based?

Yeah, I know I can't REALLY talk about this sort of stuff without seeing exactly what the classes do. I also realize that going Jedi Master would augment the Guardian's meager force powers (as going Weapons Master would help out a Consular's sabering). But all in all...

I dunno. We don't have anything else interesting to talk about, so I figure we may as well argue about the prestige classes (despite not knowing much about them at all) until we get some new video to watch eighty times, or a character profile for somebody (my vote is for Kreia or the masked Sith).

So bored... Must argue...

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

It would be great if each Prestiege class choice you made worked in a unique way to boost your character beyond simple numbers.

For example, we know that Consulars and Guardians have different attack philosophies. Perhaps a Consular going the Jedi Weapon Master route can have force powers that specifically enhance his melee abilities. Or maybe his wisdom modifer can affect his "to hit" factor. Perhaps a "Force Sense" combat dueling power. Whereas a Guardian going Weapon Master would get more passive melee feats that are always on, such as Great Cleave or Armor Skin.

It's not so much that prestige classes bother me, but that we will be roughly doubling the rate of level advancement in roughly the same amount of game hours as the first KotOR.

I don't think we'll need to worry so much about balance. Prestige classes will make our characters powerful enough as it is, but going level 30-40 will ummm....more than offset any ummm...balance issues.

Basically, we'll be too powerful.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

They said it would be about as long as KOTOR 1 was.

Anyway, the idea of your base class enhancing your prestige class: Doubtful.

Going from Soldier to Consular was fine in KOTOR 1. You basically took a class that got more feats and vitality, then went on to the Jedi class that didn't get as much vitality and was force-focused. But in KOTOR 2 with these prestige classes, it's looking to be not so easy going. A Jedi Master who is weak in the force? A Weapons Master who is low on base attack bonus and feats? The WM sounds more forgiving than the JM, that's for sure. Anyone can use a beefing up of their sabering abilities, but for JM, you need force powers to beef up first.

As I said before, PrCs seem designed to enhance a specific base class. There's less fun mixing and matching if a Guardian/Jedi Master (or any other offbeat mixture) isn't a very viable character.

Maybe if some kind developer would fill us in on the specific statistics of the prestige classes, we could know for sure. *HINT* *HINT*

Come on devs: Even if you haven't finished their stats, let us see. All the added feedback would prevent another Sentinel class. *shudder*

(Yeah, the Sentinel wasn't that bad, and woulda been pretty cool if the skills were worthwhile, but they weren't.)

Indeed, I doubt it as well since there are so many combinations you can mix up it would be too difficult for the sake of gameplay reasons. I think a dev mentioned that prestiege class info is press release stuf so don't expect them to reveal anything until after the info splash.

I had the impression, after hearing how PrC's could be cross-classed, that the PrC's really only ROUGHLY fit their "corresponding" starting classes; in other words, in HP and vaguely in combat ability. If you think they should make PrC's just an extension of the previous class, using the same Hit Dice on level up and focusing on the same skills, I don't really agree that they need to. Yes, it's strategically sound to place your assets in the area that's already strongest, but it's also strategically sound to offset the weaknesses of your current focus with new strengths. It spread you out a bit, but it seems more a matter of strategy than one of balance.

I decided to have a dig around the Wizards of the Coast website to see if they had any info on PrCs.

While I can't say if the info in this link refers in any way to what Obsidian have made for KOTOR2 I would hazard a guess that it will be at least loosley base on this:

Jedi Master Prestiege Class for Star Wars RPG:

Jedi Master

...  Is it just me, or are the prestige classes just ls/ds extensions of the basic Jedi classes?  I know the Jedi classes were extensions of the normal classes in KOTOR 1, but that was alright; the Jedi classes introduced a whole new element of play, and the classes mixed in unpredictable ways.

But lets just assume you start out as a Guardian in KOTOR 2.  You're obviously focusing on your feats and vitality here, so you can tear people apart with your lightsaber.  What sense would it make to choose Jedi Master as your prestige class, when its abilities are probably force based?

Yeah, I know I can't REALLY talk about this sort of stuff without seeing exactly what the classes do.  I also realize that going Jedi Master would augment the Guardian's meager force powers (as going Weapons Master would help out a Consular's sabering).  But all in all...

I dunno.  We don't have anything else interesting to talk about, so I figure we may as well argue about the prestige classes (despite not knowing much about them at all) until we get some new video to watch eighty times, or a character profile for somebody (my vote is for Kreia or the masked Sith).

So bored...  Must argue...

They said it would be about as long as KOTOR 1 was.

Anyway, the idea of your base class enhancing your prestige class: Doubtful.

Going from Soldier to Consular was fine in KOTOR 1.  You basically took a class that got more feats and vitality, then went on to the Jedi class that didn't get as much vitality and was force-focused.  But in KOTOR 2 with these prestige classes, it's looking to be not so easy going.  A Jedi Master who is weak in the force?  A Weapons Master who is low on base attack bonus and feats?  The WM sounds more forgiving than the JM, that's for sure.  Anyone can use a beefing up of their sabering abilities, but for JM, you need force powers to beef up first.

As I said before, PrCs seem designed to enhance a specific base class.  There's less fun mixing and matching if a Guardian/Jedi Master (or any other offbeat mixture) isn't a very viable character.

Maybe if some kind developer would fill us in on the specific statistics of the prestige classes, we could know for sure.  *HINT* *HINT*

Come on devs: Even if you haven't finished their stats, let us see.  All the added feedback would prevent another Sentinel class.  *shudder*

(Yeah, the Sentinel wasn't that bad, and woulda been pretty cool if the skills were worthwhile, but they weren't.)

This guy can sure talk a lot of sh1t!

Anyway, from what i've read so far, i get the feeling that the new force powers (and possibly the new feats) will only be available to the PrC's.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I heard each prestige class would get its own selection of force-powers.

Besides can you honestly tell me you don

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

...  Is it just me, or are the prestige classes just ls/ds extensions of the basic Jedi classes?  I know the Jedi classes were extensions of the normal classes in KOTOR 1, but that was alright; the Jedi classes introduced a whole new element of play, and the classes mixed in unpredictable ways.

But lets just assume you start out as a Guardian in KOTOR 2.  You're obviously focusing on your feats and vitality here, so you can tear people apart with your lightsaber.  What sense would it make to choose Jedi Master as your prestige class, when its abilities are probably force based?

Yeah, I know I can't REALLY talk about this sort of stuff without seeing exactly what the classes do.  I also realize that going Jedi Master would augment the Guardian's meager force powers (as going Weapons Master would help out a Consular's sabering).  But all in all...

I dunno.  We don't have anything else interesting to talk about, so I figure we may as well argue about the prestige classes (despite not knowing much about them at all) until we get some new video to watch eighty times, or a character profile for somebody (my vote is for Kreia or the masked Sith).

So bored...  Must argue...

I think the prestige classes will be cool if they greatly augment your powers, have an affect on how your character appears, and also give your character more unique outfits then the standard LS/DS robes. Also I think prestige classes should have some kind of affect on how people interact with your character, as should your alignment with either side.

Ah. So it seems they get unique force powers? That's very helpful in the "making them neat" area. Marauder... *drool*

/me really wants his Consular/Marauder character, who will be so much cooler than the envisioned Soldier/Consular.