Videogames to be presented in Smithsonian art exhibit

*edit* no Torment either :mellow:

It's more art in video games, not video games as art. Which is why ME2 (have you seen some of the concept art for that?!) is on the list, and torment with it's palette of 64 shades of gray isn't. :p

Ok, that explains it. :p

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

This is the first time I've seen Torment criticized for its art direction. I'm.. rather confused.

All right, due to hardware issues, I never got to play it for very long (I still have the discs so I might try again), but my impression of the game was and is that it's ugly as ****. See, now you've seen it twice, time to get over the shock. ;)

And yes, using the colour palette to qualify it was a bad choice.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

All right, due to hardware issues, I never got to play it for very long (I still have the discs so I might try again), but my impression of the game was and is that it's ugly as ****. See, now you've seen it twice, time to get over the shock. ;)

And yes, using the colour palette to qualify it was a bad choice.

angry-mob.jpeg

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Torment on a modern screen at 640x480 is nasty blurfest, at 1920x1080 however I think it's rather nice, the locations become epic, that's as far as it goes though, the character and creature designs were a bit crappy, all the pre-rendered stuff is nasty.

Edited by WDeranged

Torment on a modern screen at 640x480 is nasty blurfest, at 1920x1080 however I think it's rather nice, the locations become epic, that's as far as it goes though, the character and creature designs were a bit crappy, all the pre-rendered stuff is nasty.

I played it before widescreen mods etc., while it was 7 years ago, it was rather nasty even back then. IMO hasn't aged as well as some other infinity engine games.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

720p on a 1080p screen was the only way I could do it.

The only games that should be on there are:

Baldur's Gate

Baldur's Gate 2

Icewind Dale

Fallout

Fallout 2

Diablo

Diablo 2

Vampire Bloodlines

Kotor

Kotor 2

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

The only games that should be on there are:

Baldur's Gate

Baldur's Gate 2

Icewind Dale

Fallout

Fallout 2

Diablo

Diablo 2

Vampire Bloodlines

Kotor

Kotor 2

Good thing you weren't making the exhibit then. None of those games show off the medium particularly well and Fallout is already on the list.

I'm happy that Shadow of The Colossus made it on there.. It's one of the most artistic games I've seen. Heavy Rain is an interesting pick, but I see why - but Mass Effect 2? I think they should've gone with Homeworld for the space theme.

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm happy that Shadow of The Colossus made it on there.. It's one of the most artistic games I've seen. Heavy Rain is an interesting pick, but I see why - but Mass Effect 2? I think they should've gone with Homeworld for the space theme.

It makes sense when you consider that it's an art in video games not video games as art. The concept work for the ME universe is superb

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, there's mad art in Jumpman and Pacman.

If it was about art from the games and not the games themselves they would have concept art, prints of models, music out there not the playable games themselves.

Yeah, me thinks that there is someone pushing for games to be recognized as art and this is a poor excuse for it. BTW who the hell decides if something is an art form?

village_idiot.gif

What do you think is missing?

Some game I like.

I couldn't find the like button so I'll just quote this.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The US Supreme Court does that for America anyway.

But maybe we shouldn't start the art discussion again, I hear it ends in lots of wasted time.

Welcome to the Internet, this is a forum. It's a place where people argue continuously about stuff that they can't do anything about.

So if you're not wasting time, why are you here again?

village_idiot.gif

But maybe we shouldn't start the art discussion again, I hear it ends in lots of wasted time.

Welcome to the Internet, this is a forum. It's a place where people argue continuously about stuff that they can't do anything about.

I'd rather waste my time with discussions about less discussed things, like new games and stuff.

I'd rather waste my time with discussions about less discussed things, like new games and stuff.

If you consider how many old games we talked about when they were new, then discussion about new games its very discussed.

I'm sorry but where did you thought that an discussion about games being exposed as art would end up? what are the best corncob pipes?

village_idiot.gif

If you consider how many old games we talked about when they were new, then discussion about new games its very discussed.

I'm sorry but where did you thought that an discussion about games being exposed as art would end up? what are the best corncob pipes?

As some other people already found out using their supernatural powers of clairvoyance, I was hoping that it would be an epic flamewar over which games should and which shouldn't be on the list. Unfortunately my evil scheme was foiled, by some meddling kids.

What anyone considers art or not is completely beyond the point for this thread, it is a personal opinion that has no bearing on the subject at hand.

As some other people already found out using their supernatural powers of clairvoyance, I was hoping that it would be an epic flamewar over which games should and which shouldn't be on the list. Unfortunately my evil scheme was foiled, by some meddling kids.

What anyone considers art or not is completely beyond the point for this thread, it is a personal opinion that has no bearing on the subject at hand.

Well like zoinks dude you should had thought of that before you started the topic.

But all in all there hasn't been that much of an argument, probably because we fought it off on the Random news thread.

Yet, aside from personal opinion there are qualifications for what it's art. Whether or not games fit the description it's something that should be decided, although I would hate it if they were declared art because some fat kid on their momma's basement needs to excuse his addiction and the world decides to cater to all of them.

village_idiot.gif