Rift

Hurlshort

So a few of us Obsidianites are enjoying Rift, and I think it would be good to create a thread about it. Calax and I have started new characters on the same server, and eventually we will create a guild. It is a PvE server and seems to be a pretty average population.

Server: Greybriar

Faction: Defiant

My main is Hurlshot, a cleric. I'll let Calax post his name. If you are looking for folks to play with, come on by.

Rift is a very solid MMO. It shares a fair amount in common with WoW, but it borrows heavily from a few other MMO's and does everything very well. If you don't like MMO's, it won't change your mind, but if you played one or two in the past and got tired of them, this is a pretty fresh experience.

Can you grief and mess with people? Or is it boring and childproof?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I guess you can grief people, on some Rifts. I'll roll a cleric too, not sure of the name yet.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm a Cleric by the name of Cardath... I'm still exploring all the classes however :sorcerer:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

We'll just make a Cleric guild then. I'm actually focusing on the healing stuff, I think Warden is my favorite tree so far. Since you can be a DPS, Tank, or healer cleric, there is quite a bit of room in each class.

No Warlocks? For shame on the lot of you.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I will! Maybe. One day. If I ever buy the game. Perhaps.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Cleric is named Ephrael. Shame, not many well known women in 40k with cool sound names. Oh drat, I should have used Sabbatine.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I was messing around and ended up making a Necro/Lock/Chloro (of all things) mage... Just for Tale.

Good review style, Hurlshot. Clear and concise. Makes me not want to play it, but for the right reasons.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I kind of feel like two skill trees is plenty, at least for the start. I get pretty overwhelmed with the three different trees and abilities.

If I am a cleric, are non-cleric professions available to me?

I'm gonna try and make a character on that server and hope to be able to play with you guys. Name of character will come soon.

Also, anyone on the fence about the game, I had some time while playing on a different server and wrote up thoughts and information about the game while playing a Warrior Guardian. You can check out the write and pictures as well here....

Shameless Plug of Website

I've seen the box in stores but thought I'd make sure - I don't need Steam for DRM validation, right?

@SadExchange - Thanks for the thoughts on the game & screenies. It sure does look like WoW, lol, only with slightly better/tuned up graphics. Since I'm one of those that played WoW until I badly burned out, I'm worried the differences between the two won't keep me interested enough for long enough. Hm. Wish the disc itself was cheaper. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I mentioned they'd basically taken everything from wow and built upon it.

And no you don't need steam if you buy the in-store verison.

Someone better call Blizzard because they been hijacked! Seriously, the interface, chat window, map window, icon placement, inventory bags, experience bar, quest tracker, everything... is EXACTLY the same as WoW.

You should see the crafting stuff, I think they even have the same recipes :lol:

They do separate themselves with the fantastic rifts and public grouping. Plus the collections are downright addicting, I will go to great lengths to find shiny baubles buried in far off places. They took that one from Everquest 2.

You should see the crafting stuff, I think they even have the same recipes

:lol::)

...and yeah, the treasure hunting/collecting sounded like something else I'd like, from one review I read. The rift randomish grouping and collecting. The rest not so much.

Well, if I get motivated in the next few days I may buy it. It's only money right. ;) If I do I'll make sure to join that server.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not gonna lie, from what I've seen the community on this server sorta-kinda sucks. Right now there's a water invasion in the newbie zone which means that basically the place is coated with enemies of different levels than they should be. And it seems like there's NO groups really trying to clean up the army of enemies.

This place being the server, and the time being 3pm server time.

Edited by Calax

Not gonna lie, from what I've seen the community on this server sorta-kinda sucks. Right now there's a water invasion in the newbie zone which means that basically the place is coated with enemies of different levels than they should be. And it seems like there's NO groups really trying to clean up the army of enemies.

This place being the server, and the time being 3pm server time.

I'm not sure about that, I had some pretty good action last night stopping two invasions in the newbie zone. It was from about 5-8 PM PST.

I also had a fantastic round of PvP in the Black Garden. Clerics really rock, I was only level 12 and my healing stood out. I even got to carry the fang for a full minute, I don't know how they record kills, but I got credit for 31, even though I was focused on healing. Do I get credit for every kill my healing targets make or something?