Just Beat Kotor 2 Again

Just a quick aside, the first time I played Kotor 2 was when it released in 2004 making me a wee lad at the age of twelve!

Seven years later, I decided to finally download this restored content mod I saw popping up on the web since I finally had the urge to replay this game and boy it's a masterpiece. I'm not advertising the mod, I mean Kotor 2 is a masterpiece (but the mod was what helped me realize this). When I played this game as a young 12 year old boy, I didn't even begin to comprehend the complexities of the characters and the story. I picked this game up for the Xbox because I had played Kotor 1 and thought it was the greatest game ever. I couldn't help but love it because I grew up loving Star Wars. I played through Kotor 2 and adopted the general attitude of contempt towards it for its unfinished nature and confusing ending. However, I was confused for an entirely different reason, I just attributed it to the game's unfinished nature.

Now that I've played it again, with a fair amount of content restored, I'm blown away by the brilliant writing that came out of Obsidian. The brilliant writing of all the characters, Kreia mainly, is amazing to me. This story is amazing and I can easily say Kotor 2 is my favorite RPG of them all, even though Obsidian was rushed to release an unfinished product. I really wish Obsidian could have nurtured this game and helped it truly reach maturity, but what I just experienced is still shining in my memory. I think it's funny that I played this game last as a twelve year old little kid. I guess I just expected it to be in the same vein of story as Kotor 1, not that it was childish, but it was more like a traditional Star Wars game and easier for my younger self to follow.

Basically, I just want to thank Obsidian for what they delivered to us, even if it took me this long to realize how good it really is. I also really hope that if somehow Kotor 3 is ever made that Obsidian is chosen to be the developers. Nothing against Bioware or TOR, but this game really made Obsidian look amazing in my eyes.

I'm with you here. But personally, I enjoyed the game thoroughly even without the Restored Content.

I also agree that K2 had better writing, better character developement, better immersion, I enjoyed the dark and serious atmosphere, though K1 had a more epic story, more likable characters, and was a finished product. That's why, just like you I would have prefered Kotor 3 to be made by Obsidian. The Star Wars universe definitely lacks this kind of more mature, intellectually deeper material...

But K3 will NEVER be made. They might keep the franchise alive and one day release another RPG with entirely different characters and storyline. But K3 as a sequel to K2 is dead and buried, since TOR is expected to close the Revan/Exile (most likely in an unimaginably disappointing way).

LucasArts has done nothing but rape the best thing that happened to Star Wars since Episode V... Sometimes I wonder if George Lucas isn't just jealous of a franchise that clearly outshines his prequel movies...

Edited by Togruta

• 4 weeks later...
I also really hope that if somehow Kotor 3 is ever made that Obsidian is chosen to be the developers.

Ummm there won't be a KotOR 3, if you want somthing thats almost there then wait for KotOR: Revenge of Revan or Star Wars the Old Republic

i just tried the rcm mod too

makes the end game so much better

plus i've had awesome luck item-wise as well

found kubaz scoundrel gloves and mandalorian assault rifle in the first trip to Atris' academy :)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

LucasArts has done nothing but rape the best thing that happened to Star Wars since Episode V... Sometimes I wonder if George Lucas isn't just jealous of a franchise that clearly outshines his prequel movies...

I think you may well have hit the nail on the head there. Both K1 and K2 utterly outshone the prequels; and the darkness and ambiguity of K2 was somewhere Lucas seemed to never want to go (not even with the third prequel, which was crying out for it).

I think you may well have hit the nail on the head there. Both K1 and K2 utterly outshone the prequels; and the darkness and ambiguity of K2 was somewhere Lucas seemed to never want to go (not even with the third prequel, which was crying out for it).

The third prequel film was much darker than Kotor 2, it just lacked the same weight because Kotor 2 raised much more sinister implications on the nature of the force and what it meant for the future of the galaxy. In essence, it used a nice blend of something we were familiar with to shake up the formula rather than resorting to a major tone shift like killing children.

Anyway, I wouldn't say there's jealousy. I don't think most members of LucasFilm really even care about the fate of Knights, why would they? Their involvement is tangential at best, disregarding the members of LucasArts who wear multiple hats of course.