Layoff hits Obsidian?

funcroc

Could someone make a short list of Obsidian's different projects with short descriptions? I get all confused when I can't see them all at once in a tidy list...

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Could someone make a short list of Obsidian's different projects with short descriptions? I get all confused when I can't see them all at once in a tidy list...

Released and Shipped games:

Delaware - Knights of the Old Republic 2

Pennsylvania - Neverwinter Nights 2

Georgia - Alpha Protocol

Massachusetts - Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Maryland - Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir

South Carolina - Fallout New Vegas

New Hampshire - Dungeon Siege 3

New York - South Park RPG

Cancelled Titles:

New Jersey - Known as Seven Dwarves while in development, it was something Brian Mitsoda helped develop before it was cancelled.

Connecticut - Aliens Crucible, the first Onyx Engine title in development at Obsidian, it was a RPG set in the Alien universe directed by JE Sawyer.

Virginia - Nothing much is known about this title other than it was a small internal project which was meant to be released in 2011. Could have been the XBLA game which was put on hold.

North Carolina - Latest major project directed by JE Sawyer, rumored to be a next-generation RPG funded by Microsoft. Recently cancelled.

Vermont - Scifi RPG with a handful of designers/artists working under the direction of Jason Fader. Could have simply been a failed pitch. Developed in Unreal Engine 3.

Unaccounted for:

Rhode Island - ?????????

Edited by duckroll
  • Like 1

It just struck me that if they were working with Microsoft, they could have been working with the Shadowrun IP... Well, it's truly sad if that never came to be...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I thought Vermont was the Microsoft project, so confusing ...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

That's the magic of forum-posters, we know everything. Thought ya knew foo'!

Cancelled games are always better than released ones :)

You said that Obsidian was gonna knock it out the park or whatever the idiom was! And now you're retracting it! I feel betrayed!

P.S. : To be less ironic, as much as Morgoth likes to troll, I think there's a point. Dungeon Siege 3 and South Park don't really seem to be the kind of projects Obsidian's audience expects. I guess that's just fair, since Obsidian's fans alone don't really make it financially viable for the company to survive, and I have high hopes for South Park (Dungeon Siege III has been treated fairly harshly, but besides some questionable design choices, its biggest fault was really just that it was merely decent in my opinion), but you can't blame people for being disappointed that projects that looked like they had the potential to be closer to what they wanted were canceled.

We can however blame people when they judge things based on... almost nothing. I'm OK with people disliking DS3 and being skeptical about South Park. But we know very little about Alien RPG and we know next to nothing about Vermont (it was Sci-Fi... and that's all?) It's not like Van Buren where you can find design docs online now that detail a lot of what would be going into the game.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Must...refrain...from...helping...

Maryland - Dungeon Siege 3

South Carolina - Storm of Zehir

New Hampshire - Fallout New Vegas

That's as far as I can go...

/relaxes

:)

• Like 2

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

We can however blame people when they judge things based on... almost nothing. I'm OK with people disliking DS3 and being skeptical about South Park. But we know very little about Alien RPG and we know next to nothing about Vermont (it was Sci-Fi... and that's all?) It's not like Van Buren where you can find design docs online now that detail a lot of what would be going into the game.

Aliens and a Sci-Fi(perhaps original) setting, are 1000% more interesting to me than South Park and Dungeon Siege. Now could the two Sci-Fi games have turned out to be crap? Of course. But since DS3 had little interest to me and South Park is more like a amusing stroll, I would much rather of seen these two Sci-Fi games get a release. Or you know getting all of them.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

/relaxes

Well, that throws the previous list a bit in disarray :sweat:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Aliens and a Sci-Fi(perhaps original) setting, are 1000% more interesting to me than South Park and Dungeon Siege. Now could the two Sci-Fi games have turned out to be crap? Of course. But since DS3 had little interest to me and South Park is more like a amusing stroll, I would much rather of seen these two Sci-Fi games get a release. Or you know getting all of them.

I kind of agree with this. While I actually liked DS3, the South Park game doesn't interest me at all. I'll likely get it just because I like to support Obsidian games anytime I can, but in terms of anticipation, I really don't have much interest in the South Park setting.

Aliens RPG or a sci-fi game, on the other hand ...

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Aliens RPG released alongside Prometheus would have made this year a great one. I still can't believe they canned it...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Revised duckroll's list based on Alvin's info

Delaware - Knights of the Old Republic 2

Pennsylvania - Neverwinter Nights 2

Georgia - Alpha Protocol

Massachusetts - Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

South Carolina - Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir

New York - South Park RPG

Cancelled Titles:

New Jersey - Known as Seven Dwarves while in development, it was something Brian Mitsoda helped develop before it was cancelled.

Connecticut - Aliens Crucible, the first Onyx Engine title in development at Obsidian, it was a RPG set in the Alien universe directed by JE Sawyer.

North Carolina - Latest major project directed by JE Sawyer, rumored to be a next-generation RPG funded by Microsoft. Recently cancelled.

On hold? :

Vermont - Scifi RPG with a handful of designers/artists working under the direction of Jason Fader. Could have simply been a failed pitch. Developed in Unreal Engine 3.

Virginia - Nothing much is known about this title other than it was a small internal project which was meant to be released in 2011. Could have been the XBLA game which was put on hold. Uses Onyx engine?

That still leaves us Project Rhode Island that we know nothing about and maybe the new project as well where Rich Taylor is that director...

Edited by Flouride
  • Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

/relaxes

Thank you very much for the corrections. :)

J.D. Cerince's resume

Work Experience

3D Character Artist - Obsidian Entertainment, 2011 - 2012

Latest Project

Project North Carolina (Obsidian Entertainment) - Creatures, weapons, and large props

Shipped Games

Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts - armor and weapons

Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues - armor and weapons

Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road - armor, creatures and weapons

Fallout New Vegas: Gun Runners

To add to this, there's another war being fought by console makers. The XBox 360 took years to develop and turn a profit. It's only been profitable in the last 3 years. Which is why both Sony and Microsoft have been queezy about releasing a next-gen console because there's this huge problem that's been killing their profits:

1.) Iphone

2.) Ipad

Who plays a DS or a PS Portable, (whatever it's called), right now when you can get something far more multi-functional with easy choices to switch games? The graphics are getting insanely good on both those, attracting casual gamers who don't want to learn advanced skills. Same reason ME:III has the watered-down story version so you don't have to play a hard game.

For hardcore gamers:

3.) PC

In other words, the console system is being eaten up by people who have either want the high-res textures for their computer, (go Valve), or who want to play games that don't actually require any skills, (FarmVille and Angry Birds).

My guess is that what Microsoft is going to do with Win8 and the integrated app store is compete directly against those three markets. At least right now, the rumor, (under NDA for the new console), is that it does away entirely with discs. Which means that everything will be bought entirely online via the app store or via the nebulous solid-state drive plan. The other thing this does from the publisher/developers point of view is kill their not-that-secret arch-nemesis: The Used Video Game. More interesting will be if the app store will be cross-platform with Win8, which means you could play any game you buy off the Xbox720 or whatever it will be called on Win8. If so, why buy the console?

Given that, Microsoft is going to hedge its bets. If the Win8 console picks up for PC and Tablet and they can create a vibrant eco-system that turns out money, they'll push the release date back on the next-gen console. They're likewise going to be watching for sales of the Wii U, which is going to have trouble competing against the next-gen tablets and phones for sales.

So then, Microsoft will wait on these two things:

1.) If the sales of Win8 are high and

2.) If the sales of Wii U are low

The next-gen console will get pushed back to 2015 or later, if it even gets made at all. If however:

1.) Win8 sales are low

2.) The sales of Wii U are high

Then it will get released in Dec. 2013 to try to capture some of the market share lost. Given the incredibly squeemish approach that Microsoft has had under the reign of Balmer which has been nothing more than "me too" releases, (Win7 phone, Silverlight, Bing, no tablet still, etc.), the most likely reason that the project was cancelled has nothing to do with Obsidian or Kickstarter and everything to do with Microsoft not knowing if they wanted to sink money into a project that they might not even end up developing or putting on hold for several years.

MS also has a bunch of other high-profile Next-Gen games in development (Lionhead, Rare, Ryse from Crytek), why weren't those then canceled?

Pretty sure MS is gonna release the new console in Fall 2013, they already had the chip-tape out last December and are shipping out first DevKits as we speak. Would be a total waste of R&D money not to pull through the project now.