Spotted this by accident while glancing through the paper - http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/games/49...ngeon-Siege-III

A few highlights from the review:

Odo, or whatever the old soldier is called, is viewed as a 2nd Obi Wan.

DS3 is Square Enix's first western RPG - Not sure I'd agree seems a bit more Eastern as I understand it.

Action's been significantly streamlined - Not sure what that means. More monsters exploding when hit instead of a slugfest?

The game's a new console-friendly button mashing entry into a classic PC RPG experience - Shudder! Okay technically they say not simply but still ...

Sounds like skills might fork e.g. would you prefer your Shield Slam did more damage or was a more reliable and enduring form of crowd control?

Could be the original article's already been referenced here. It looks it may be a 'reprint' off Gameplanet.co.nz but while I remember being unable to access one preview I don't know if that's the one.

Uh.... the addition of 'simply' turns the entire sentence around, you can't infer this:

The game's a new console-friendly button mashing entry into a classic PC RPG experience

from the original of:

this is not simply a new console-friendly button mashing entry into a classic PC RPG experience.

:p

Looks like no info at all, oh well.

Uh.... the addition of 'simply' turns the entire sentence around, you can't infer this:

The game's a new console-friendly button mashing entry into a classic PC RPG experience

from the original of:

this is not simply a new console-friendly button mashing entry into a classic PC RPG experience.

:)

Looks like no info at all, oh well.

True, nothing really new but as I'd stumbled over it I thought I'd mention it.

I'd disagree about the interpretation. Not simply in this context means in addition to. For context here's the rest of the paragraph: With the touch of a button or two we can peel back the curtain to discover a game replete with stat screens, ability lists and item collection. Ability choices, the importance of base statistics and equipment selection all mould the characters in very personal ways. So the 'bonus' content is the traditional\expected DS for PC content. Why mention button mashing though if it's not a button masher? It'd be like saying oh a Rolls Royce Phantom's not simply a car it's an experience and meaning it's not a car but solely an experience.

As an aside it's interesting to see that this thread looks to be pure Southern Hemisphere posting at present :)

And skimming the Internode preview, cherry picking as I go of course ...

"this is not Dungeon Siege as we know it ... there are few things to identify the game as part of the franchise"

Players choose one of four characters, Lucas, a swordsman who wields a sword and shield or enormous greatsword, Katarina, a gun-witch armed with a magical rifle and two pistols, Anjali, a fire elemental who either wields a spear as a human or manipulates fire in her elemental form, and Reinhart, a scholar and wizard who can manipulate the powers of kinetic energy and entropy.

"... there are no potions in the game ... only instant heals come from ... slain enemies ... can no longer just sit back and regenerate health, or spam potions ..."

While it's too soon to tell whether or not the rest of the adventure in Dungeon Siege III will mix up the "kill first, ask questions and loot later" formula, or whether the load times for menus and area transitions will be drastically fixed(bringing up menus take about a few seconds), the action seems decent and the customization options for each of the four heroes warrant multiple play sessions.

Now that could get problematic.

I don't revisit inventory often but some of my friends do it all the time.

Edited by pmp10

Interview with Nathan Davis

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=57265

Will ALL players be able to save their progress and level up while playing in online co-op? Or will only one player be able to save their progress (the host) while playing in co-op?

This is a critical question for me. – elgranpimp

The save games [for everyone] work through the host player.

This gets rather annoying now. Its already pretty clear that the savegame itself on the hosts game gets saved on the host (which only makes sense with the whole scaling buisness). We want to know if certain progress (loot especially) also gets saved to your own Char.

Edited by C2B

I'm puzzled :sorcerer: . Shouldn't this answer your question?!?

When playing the game on local Co-op, I have heard that the second player's character isn't saved, so all the loot that player has collected will not be saved for when he/she returns to the game to continue. Is this true?

When playing the game on local Co-op, I have heard that the second player's character isn't saved, so all the loot that player has collected will not be saved for when he/she returns to the game to continue. Is this true? – slayer90k

All of the loot that the character has collected and all of the levels that they have gained are saved on the host game. All of that information is persistent and stays. Whether you jump in and jump out, it'll be there. You have impacted the story of that game and the story of that character.

Nope, its for local co-op and we knew that already.

Edited by C2B

When playing the game on local Co-op, I have heard that the second player's character isn't saved, so all the loot that player has collected will not be saved for when he/she returns to the game to continue. Is this true?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm confused - what difference does it make whether it's the host that keeps the savegame for all players concerned or not? Is it because of situations like, say, wanting to play on without the host? I can see that might be an annoyance (especially if savefiles were large), but otherwise, I don't see how it could matter - the character and the loot you have in that game is tied to that game, anyway.

As far as I know it's the same for all co-op. As I understand it, if you are playing co-op the character's information is saved on the host game. So when you get back to that co-op game, your character with all his loot and levels will still be there. It makes no sense from a balancing perspective to use that specific character in another co-op game, so there's no point in saving that character to your PC to play in another game.

What could be a nice idea for DS3 would be to have an online viewing database of the characters you've created, just to allow you to show your builds to other people. All the loot and leveling up options should allow for very diverse builds.

Thats not really what I'm asking. That Level Progress and the charachter with the specific progress itself stays on the host game is clear. What gets transfered to YOU for game YOUR charachter/level progress hosts or what other bonuses there are isn't.

This is also the main point that gets critizied. What do I get?

Edited by C2B

Thats not really what I'm asking. That Level Progress and the charachter with the specific progress itself stays on the host game is clear. What gets transfered to YOU for game YOUR charachter/level progress hosts or what other bonuses there are isn't.

What? :huh:

Heja Sverige!!

What? :huh:

Again:

What do I/my charachters get for playing co-op?

This hasn't be clarified the whole time. Do I get for example a certain amount of experience points. Do I get to keep some of the loot for my own game. Do I get other bonuses like special Deeds or Talents?

Edited by C2B

What do I/my charachters get for playing co-op?

Herrr... nothing? Alright, maybe achievements. I thought that was pretty much clear. It's co-op for the sake of co-op, enabling friends to play with each other in a game that they like. It's not Diablo-style multiplayer, it's more like Icewind Dale/BG-style of co-op (except with a gameplay that works with multiple players this time).

Edited by Sannom

Why do you need a separate reward for playing coop? You're playing coop because, well, you want to play with your friends, right? So... you play with your friends. O_o

It's looking likely that there's no semi/full persistent multiplayer a la Diablo/NWN where you spend 500 hours on one character, and certainly not where you own one character and he jumps across various coop games or something. I guess one could take umbrage at that and argue DS3 should offer that kind of MP too, but that's separate from coop gameplay as offered here - doesn't make sense to demand/complain about coop, which should work fine as described.

What Tigs says.

Heja Sverige!!

Why do you need a separate reward for playing coop? You're playing coop because, well, you want to play with your friends, right? So... you play with your friends. O_o

Locally? Yes

MP? No

Thats the question here. And what people have been complaining.

And no it doesn't seem to work the same way as said before in the Destructoid interview.

Edited by C2B