Arcanum

Minchi

For what it is worth, I think Obsidian took the right approach. Games like KOTOR2 and NWN2 probably ensured the company's survival. Let's say that Alpha Protocol was the first game Obsidian released. With the way that went over I'd imagine that the road to producing the next game would be a bit rockier.

Instead they managed to release a bunch of high profile sequels that sold well, gave the company a chance to develop its own IP, and has earned the company a reputation of people who can take existing IPs and make pretty good products with it. If they keep it up they'll get another chance at creating their own universe.

Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.

First you claim to agree with me then the enxt thing you spout is a spit in my face. :p

In his tribe it is a mark of great respect.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

who wouldn't want to work on a RPG in one of those settings?

I wouldn't. Most creative individuals want to create something new and something own. I'm sure there are some who absolutely enjoy when corporate suits give inane orders and dictate what, when and how something must be done. From financial point of view those orders from above might be solid gold but from creative perspective it's pure poison.

Unless the suits were forcing them to do a Star Wars game unlike any before that didn't feel like Star Wars I'd say they had a lot of freedom. If something was dictated it was likely the time the game needed to be done in.

First you claim to agree with me then the enxt thing you spout is a spit in my face. :p

In his tribe it is a mark of great respect.

Allow me to

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

:p I''d forgotten how funny I find Jim Carrey.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I hope that their creativity never ends...Not like Square Enix where they are constantly stuck making final fantasy type of games and their games beginning to become bad quality and they still managed to buy out other IP and let another studio to create their games for them. I just find that really crazy just to have another studio to make their games while the main company just sits on their behind looking at the sales.

I hope Obsidian won't become something like that if they did it would be a major shock wouldn't?

Fallout 2 was mine, oddly enough. Was mainly flight sims, C&C and adventure games until then. Alas, I am not hardcore.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Maniac Mansion (which I never beat) and Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders (which I also never beat) were Lucasfilm Games, as I recall. Fun games (even with my lack of success at them).

My first RPG was SSI's Phantasie on the C64.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Last Crusade and MI. Never did get into the Knight's tomb in LC, 5.25 disks got lost in a move. Hmm

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My first rpg was Hunt the Wumpus played on some pdp-11-34 or some such back in the late 70's. Although the graphics were just ASCII bits, gameplay-wise I can't say it was all that different from Oblivion.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I remember hunting a Wampus in M.U.L.E.

Isn't Hunt the Wumpus more of an adventure game than an RPG though...?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think, The Dark Eye / Realms of Arkania even was my very first contact with a computer rpg. Later came Albion and the next one was already Fallout.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Isn't Hunt the Wumpus more of an adventure game than an RPG though...?

heh. Probably. There wasn't really much to choose from back in 1976-77; all the classic crpg IPs: gold box, wizardry, ultima, might and magic had yet to be established.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hey does anyone remember Drakensang? That game was close to Baldur's gate but still it had a really wonky quests in the first game and they finally worked out the issues and then the next thing i knew that studio who made this game closed out after publishing or working on the online version. I just find it weird right o.o;;

Whoa i never heard some of those rpgs you have mention but I knew about Baldur's Gate though...

Hey does anyone remember Drakensang? That game was close to Baldur's gate but still it had a really wonky quests in the first game and they finally worked out the issues and then the next thing i knew that studio who made this game closed out after publishing or working on the online version. I just find it weird right o.o;;

Whoa i never heard some of those rpgs you have mention but I knew about Baldur's Gate though...

I think I heard of it, but nothing besides the name, mate.

-Elwood Blues

Wizardry (latterly 1, or PGotMO) was the first real RPG that I can remember well, though I can remember that I kept on getting killed by a dragon in "Dragon's Eye" before that and that even when I found whatever it was we were looking for I couldn't find where in Fell City to take it to actually win. I don't think I was even school age at that time.

I still have both those games, shame the Apple to play them on has long ago shuffled off to Silicon Heaven.

Edited by Zoraptor

Oh wow...I just found out that Vampire the masquerade is becoming a mmo soon and that would be really interested by the way. Ooooh who has a copy of Gothic 4 and boy that game totally suxed like they managed to bring out a new patch that totally broke the game and you can't run it on older machines and whole bunch of worms just sprouted from its corpse and a lot of people are just hammering out that company o.o;;;