Baldur's Gate Revival

Cutlock

Hello everybody,

First post here and is directed to those who play Obsidian's RPG's, or as I like to call them R-PeGs, mainly to Neverwinter Nights lovers but to Fallout lovers as well. Join the petition to save the Baldur's Gate series so that hopefully Atari can realize that the Neverwinter MMO needs a game like Baldur's Gate to go along with it because not everyone likes subscriptions.

Here is the petition thingy-mabober:

http://www.petitionhosting.com/petitions/t...undbaldursgate3

Please sign it, because if Atari re-releases the BG Games and then releases the third, think about it the success is pretty much guaranteed. Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 had a big success, so maybe, just maybe Atari will contact Obsidian for the third game in the Neverwinter Nights main series.

Not gonna happen. Atari is a corpse publisher at this point. It's really about time someone strips the DnD rights of them so that we can see a proper game again.

And people say Activision is bad.

All we need is people to sign it. In fact I have a whole storyline that could connect the Dark Alliance series with the Original Series with The Black Hound Game.

But thats not the point.

They just need to release The Black Hound: Baldur's Gate 3. Has anybody ever tried to do this before. No. I'm trying though, I think I'm the first person who has put up a petition.

I'm not going to argue with you because I agree with you.

If people sign this petition, a lot of people, about 3000 people, don't you think that Atari's actually going to take notice and fulfil at least one of our demands?

Unfortunately, online petitions have a history of not effecting anything. On the assumption that the Atari executives are willing to listen, though, you'd need way, way more than 3000 signatures.

How many sales would make a BG3 viable? At least a million, for full AA funding. At least half a million even if a smaller project. How many signatures would persuade the executives those kind of sales are achievable? I'd say high 5-digits or even 6 digits - or at least, lower 5-digits boosted by huge word of mouth speculation around game media.

Of course, that doesn't mean a petition is worthless. It just means it acts as supporting evidence to a companya lready considering a revival, not the primary motivator. That's where Atari's current condition comes in - it doesn't have a lot of funds and I don't know if they've sorted out their D&D license problems?

Unfortunately, online petitions have a history of not effecting anything. On the assumption that the Atari executives are willing to listen, though, you'd need way, way more than 3000 signatures.

How many sales would make a BG3 viable? At least a million, for full AA funding. At least half a million even if a smaller project. How many signatures would persuade the executives those kind of sales are achievable? I'd say high 5-digits or even 6 digits - or at least, lower 5-digits boosted by huge word of mouth speculation around game media.

Of course, that doesn't mean a petition is worthless. It just means it acts as supporting evidence to a companya lready considering a revival, not the primary motivator. That's where Atari's current condition comes in - it doesn't have a lot of funds and I don't know if they've sorted out their D&D license problems?

High Voltage Software has stated that if a game needed to sell about a million copies and it had a lot of hard work put into it, like The Conduit and possibly Conduit 2. Conduit 2 might sell a million but Conduit did not. Well basically H.V.S said that a game does not need to sell about a million copies because if it did, there would be only under 50 franchises that people would ever make.

This petition is to make Atari aware that what its doing is not what people want, I mean the last thing they did that people wanted was The Witcher 2, and that took a hell of a long time. I know computer games do take a long time to make. But other than that, nothing.

And has anybody ever complained to Atari as to what they want? No, thats probably why Atari's going dead-on and making MMO's and PSN Downloads. So lets at least try and get a thousand posts. I know the only reason nobody's signing is because they believe Atari will not listen.

Well what if they do listen, then your just saying we do not want Baldur's Gate 3 and want Neverwinter Nights 3 to come out way after the MMO.

So please, sign it.

I'm so tired of D&D at this point, I think we got enough games set in the Forgotten Realms over the years.

I'll petition for the next Quest for Glory, since that actually worked back in the day.

I can put up a Quest for Glory petiton, on change.org too as well. Just sign this petition please.

Most of you think that this petition is for BG, its not its for Icewind Dale, its for Neverwinter Nights. Its for all series of D&D, this is just to get Atari started.

And Purkake, its five signatures.

And Volourn, I guess that makes me a wuss, but I'm not afraid to admit. But what does that make you?

Just please sign the petition, what harm comes from it if you don't?

"And Volourn, I guess that makes me a wuss, but I'm not afraid to admit. But what does that make you?

"

Someone who is anti petition? Yeah, that.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"And Volourn, I guess that makes me a wuss, but I'm not afraid to admit. But what does that make you?

"

Thanks for clearing that up.

I thought you were anti D&D and plus Atari.

"

on-line petitions have very little impact. get far more juice from a written letter, but folks is typical too lazy to put forth the effort. am recalling that some o' the black isle developers once commented on the impotence o' internet petitions... but that were more than a few years ago.

even so, as you said, is not gonna hurt. just don't expect anything from an on-line petition... ever.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"

on-line petitions have very little impact. get far more juice from a written letter, but folks is typical too lazy to put forth the effort. am recalling that some o' the black isle developers once commented on the impotence o' internet petitions... but that were more than a few years ago.

even so, as you said, is not gonna hurt. just don't expect anything from an on-line petition... ever.

HA! Good Fun!

You see, even though you've said it does not hurt you have not signed it.

For me... Signing my name to an online petition is tantamount to clapping at a public debate and hollering "Good answer, good Answer!".

For me... Signing my name to an online petition is tantamount to clapping at a public debate and hollering "Good answer, good Answer!".

Fun?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've changed my goal. I just want a compilation to be released in North America as the last compilation was released in Europe only and the Black Isle Compilations are hard as **** to find. So in this compilation I want Atari to add a concept art book and such. If possible, port the game to PS3.

Then make The Black Hound: Baldur's Gate 3 for ps3 and pc.

I've changed my goal. I just want a compilation to be released in North America as the last compilation was released in Europe only and the Black Isle Compilations are hard as **** to find. So in this compilation I want Atari to add a concept art book and such. If possible, port the game to PS3.

I must be missing something... Is it that you want a new Baldur's Gate, or just all of the past ones (and expansions)?

If that then here (if you don't already know of it).

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/baldurs_gat..._original_saga/

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/baldurs_gate_2_complete

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/icewind_dale_complete

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/icewind_dale_2

No, just no... Let it rest, pal... Snif... *stab myself* :ermm:

More seriously, you must not be aware that I have been trying since 2004 to ressurect this project. Yes, I was young and naive back then. I kept sending countless messages to Feargus, Sawyer and even to some PR guy from Atari that used to post on message boards. The answer was always negative: IP rights, engine that was aging and becoming less competitive, Sawyer not wanting his baby to become a commercial project, etc. I had foreseen the RPG genre's decline and I did my best to persuade all these people that TBH would bring a second revival to the genre. Just take a look at the games that get released nowadays: they are all crap, and that is why I keep playing the old stuff again and again (well not that much, but I still consider BG2 as the best CRPG of all times). I am still persuaded that if, today, they pursued making TBH with its old engine and complete the project, the game would be selling like hot cakes. Many people like me are craving for some quality RPG old-school style. It beats me why they don't listen to what their customers really want. I have tried everything, so don't get your hopes up with that petition of yours.

Cheers.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I see the goalposts are as fluid as ever.

Keep fighting the good fight.

What if I deleted this petition and created a new one telling Atari to team-up with Interplay and re-release the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series for the PS3. Interplay has repeatedly said that they would develop this if Atari would publish it and then develop Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 3.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was on the PS2 so a port for graphics would not be that much of a biggie, especially since the DA Engine was so advanced, then rules updates: Not much of the 3rd Edtion Rules were placed into DA, so updating those wont be hard.

What do you think?

Interplay is pretty much dead, and its current incarnation has shown no expertise whatsoever in PS3 development, and while Dark Alliance has sold quite well, it was never a true millions blockbuster that would still have a hope of selling a lot if ported & upgraded.

Sorry to be so negative, but it does seem like you're thinking more along the lines of "what I want to play" (i.e. why not the Xbox360? My guess is that you own a PS3 and you'd love to be able to play these games on it) rather than what is feasible.

Unfortunately, of course, the issue is that what is feasible is pretty damn small at the moment due to Atari's financial troubles, etc. :)

Interplay is pretty much dead, and its current incarnation has shown no expertise whatsoever in PS3 development, and while Dark Alliance has sold quite well, it was never a true millions blockbuster that would still have a hope of selling a lot if ported & upgraded.

Sorry to be so negative, but it does seem like you're thinking more along the lines of "what I want to play" (i.e. why not the Xbox360? My guess is that you own a PS3 and you'd love to be able to play these games on it) rather than what is feasible.

Unfortunately, of course, the issue is that what is feasible is pretty damn small at the moment due to Atari's financial troubles, etc. :)

I do have a 360 as well, I just found DA to be more of a PS3 kind of game.

Interplay is not dead, when Fallout Online comes out they will get back in the business and right now they are making a lot of games for the WiiWare, iOs, and a few for the PC/Mac.

Plus Interplay's Chris Taylor has said that he and the team would take any chance they got at making DA3 so all Atari has to do is strike a deal with Interplay.

And maybe Obsidian can make DLC's.