Light-ish story to welcome the weekend

Walsingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12999000

What kind of po-faced lunacy is this?

I'm precisely thirty minutes away from my first beer of the weekend, and given the apparently suicidal nature of the act I thought I'd give a grim-faced nod to all you heroic chaps and chapesses who will be kicking dirt in Death's eyesockets, and drinking this weekend. Our courage and dedication may be all that stands between civilisation and the health-Taliban. May we drink, sing, dance inadvisably, and join in comradeship and curry.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Obviously, if I agreed any more with you on this important subject Wals I would probably explode.

To that end I will post my alcohol unit consumption on this board for the weekend, which I shall endeavour to double in honour of that ridiculous article. I laugh in the face of death (and light up another Bolivar).

I am 30 minutes away from my first ludicrously strong Belgian trappist beer of the weekend and am planning on giving my liver a proper kicking.

Slainte!

sonsofgygax.JPG

I drink, I smoke, I hope for an early death. I do keep my drinking within work hours and only on school nights, I mean geez I don't want a hang over on my day off that'd be idiotic.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I'm precisely thirty minutes away from my first beer of the weekend, and given the apparently suicidal nature of the act I thought I'd give a grim-faced nod to all you heroic chaps and chapesses who will be kicking dirt in Death's eyesockets, and drinking this weekend. Our courage and dedication may be all that stands between civilisation and the health-Taliban. May we drink, sing, dance inadvisably, and join in comradeship and curry.

I find it hypocritical that you people are perfectly will to ignore any health advice about alcohol and pretend it is completely safe whilst simultaneously willing to judge and lecture those of us who partake in what are in fact healthier drugs such as psychedelics or marijuana.

Edited by Krezack

Too bad they didn't mention pancreas cancer.

I'd love to find out how many people here are looking forward to experiencing some of the worst pain known to modern medicine. :lol:

I find it hypocritical that you people are perfectly will to ignore any health advice about alcohol and pretend it is completely safe whilst simultaneously willing to judge and lecture those of us who partake in what are in fact healthier drugs such as psychedelics or marijuana.

Marijuana may be a bad example. It is after all most commonly smoked.

To which I shall respond by observing that your dope smoking has addled your wits! Because I have assiduously argued it should be legal. If sky diving is a matter for individual discretion then so too should cooking one's hippocampus like a fillet of duck.

I may also beg the company's indulgence to report that I partook of some eight pints, including three of scrumpy purely to prove the point. I then ate a takeaway curry laden with salt and fat. I may also say that there was an abundance of laughter, a little shimmying, and vast quantities of bollocks were talked.

Having woken early and drunk water and eaten three pears, I am now listening to the radio play HMS Surprise, and latter has affected my manner of writing.

EDIT: where on Earth did I give the impression that I thought alcohol was harmless? By God, what kind of world or civilisation would accord harmless any high honour as a quality?

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

drunk.jpg

..Sober men of olden days and sages are forgotten,

And only the great drinkers are famous for all time.

- BRINGING IN THE WINE, Li Po (701-762)

J.

I was wondering when the Morale Vampire would show up.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Never understood the appeal of alcohol.

1) A lot of it tastes like crap.

2) It's hideously expensive.

3) My idea of a 'good time' doesn't coincide with how people generally appear to enjoy drunkenness.

4) Often you must go to pubs. Pubs are bloody loud.

5) Oh, and I guess the health.

Never understood the appeal of alcohol.

1) A lot of it tastes like crap.

2) It's hideously expensive.

3) My idea of a 'good time' doesn't coincide with how people generally appear to enjoy drunkenness.

4) Often you must go to pubs. Pubs are bloody loud.

5) Oh, and I guess the health.

1. Make sure to find drinks that you like.

2. Only if you go to pubs.

3. Me neither, but you don't have to get pissed.

4. Yes, yes they are.

5. Having a bunch of alchoholics in the family I can actually agree with that.

On that note, had some 12-14 beers this past monday. Was an awesome night where we had good fun between friends. We rewrote the meaning of epicness when the whole crowd simultaneously fell silent and sang along to Fools Garden - Lemon Tree.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I will say that I really didn't start to enjoy the stuff until I was nearly 25. Most of the booze generally proffered to youth is awful, and I was enough of a social recluse that I wasn't often invited to parties where a lot of drinking was going on. But my tastes changed a bit sometime in my 20s, as I started enjoying bitter/sour/toasted flavors more. And I discovered that beer doesn't have to taste like the beer generally served at undergraduate parties or the somewhat-better-but-still-rather-weak-willed lagers that my parents prefer, that wine doesn't have to taste like the champagne my grandmother likes, and that whisky can be quite enjoyable if you buy the ones that aren't on the bottom-two shelves at the liquor store.

Anyhow, no stories of recent excess for me. The 3 bottles of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale exceeded the recommended dosage in the linked article (BTW, who on Earth considers a half-pint of beer a serving??), but nowhere close to the point of drunkenness. Just chatting with the wife, eating some spicy shrimp and cheese grits, and playing some games.

No offense, but the only way for that to be gayer is if you sang a George Michael song. True epic needs epic music. So far, my favourite everyone-drunkenly-sings-along song has been "Always Look on the Bright Side Of Life".

I take your George Michael and raise you a Gaga.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The 3 bottles of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale exceeded the recommended dosage in the linked article (BTW, who on Earth considers a half-pint of beer a serving??)

The kind of asshat who would post an article on the first sunny Friday of the year about how you shouldn't drink or you will DIE.

~

I don't want to be a booze Nazi, Tigs, but to echo other people:

1. Drink booze you like

2. Drink it with people you like

3. Drink it in places you like.

...and you may find you like booze.

-Elwood Blues

I actually do enjoy the taste Tig. The relaxes nerves, decresed stress level and positive attitude of slight inebriation that comes with it all I just consider a fringe benefit. I do not drink cheap stuff by the way. I'm too old for the rotgut crap that was all I could afford when I was younger. Hell would freeze before you catch me with Jim Beam, or Budwieser these days.

There a are few things I loves so much as a glass of really good bourbon, either neat, with ice, or a spash of ginger ale. Really good stuff like Knob Creek or Makers Mark. I love that smoky taste it picks up from the charred oak barrels it's aged in. Never pick one less than 10 years old. I love the deep mellow after taste with just a slight burn. It goes so well sitting on the porch around sunset, listening to the birds, wind in the trees. Thats how I spend almost every evening these days.

I alos like a good scotch. Not Jonnie Walker or Cutty or one of those trashy brands. Single malt only is the best. Talisker is my favorite. It's bold yet smooth with a sharp and slightly nutty after taste. It is the perfect drink to go with cigars (that is unless you're some brandy quaffing fairy). Unfortunately it is expensive and hard to come by in the US.

When it comes to beer the best IMHO come from Boston, Sam Adams. Flying Dog, Guniess, and Yuengling are all solid choices (the latter especially if money is tight). Rolling Rock is excellent and just tastes like Friday night. Molson Canadian is the best thing to come out of Canada since...ever. Bass Ale if proof the British can do one thing right if everything else they ever did meant nothing.

Will drinking kill me? I dunno. I don't plan on living forever anyway.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I am a Brandy quaffing fairy, well cognac. Over here cognac goes with cigars like beef goes with mustard.

I am inclined to agree with you on Maker's Mark, possibly the only bourbon left I drink, and I don't drink malt whisky at all anymore (Glenmorangie or Glenturret were my preferred poisons).

Nowadays it's beer, cognac and wine. As for Bass, I know it's improbably popular in the colonies but you are really only dipping a tiny fraction of your toe into the vast ocean of epic goodness that is British (and I do mean British as opposed to English) beer. Sam Adams? Er, no.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I am a Brandy quaffing fairy, well cognac. Over here cognac goes with cigars like beef goes with mustard.

Heh, that was a joke my friend. Not all of us yanks hold Cognac is low esteem but here in the south it is thought of as a tad... dainty?

I am inclined to agree with you on Maker's Mark, possibly the only bourbon left I drink, and I don't drink malt whisky at all anymore (Glenmorangie or Glenturret were my preferred poisons).

I strongly reccomend Woodbridge and Knob Creek also. Woodbridge is light in color and taste and has an aftertaste that faintly suggests cherries. Knob Creek is a strong corn sourmash like Makers, but with a more bitter taste.

Nowadays it's beer, cognac and wine. As for Bass, I know it's improbably popular in the colonies but you are really only dipping a tiny fraction of your toe into the vast ocean of epic goodness that is British (and I do mean British as opposed to English) beer.

Reccomendations please! I'm always looking for a good beer I haven't tried.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell