I love you, Square Enix. You're the first, who haven't rushed the Obsidian's game and - I hope - give time to polish. Heck yeah.

Edited by Dabu

Sorry for my english, it's not so good.

I love you, Square Enix. You're the first, who haven't rushed the Obsidian's game and - I hope - give time to polish. Heck yeah.

You do remember for how long Alpha Protocol was delayed, right :ermm: ?

I like Obsidian and its games, and I think that Lucas Arts kinda screwed them and the players over with KOTOR 2, but always blaming the publisher is getting very annoying, not to mention 'harmful' toward Obsidian (I'm sure that every game developer is judged partly based on its fan base). It is just as untrue as all Obsidian's games being buggy mess at their release (only true for NWN2).

You do remember for how long Alpha Protocol was delayed, right ?

But it had no purpose, it was just for... I don't know what, Obsidian didn't even work on that game then.

That's why I respect Square Enix. They let Eidos Montreal to work on their Human Revolution for couple of months more and they aren't rushing Obsidian. It's a big plus in this times. Now even such a big company as Bioware is being hasted by publisher.

i stil dont get it. if i play in one game with someone and my character is level 10 and then i play with someone else and we start from the beginning, will i be a level 10 character in a world where my friend is level 1 and the enemies are weak? that's not challenging nor fun.

and the other way around is true as well.

i know your character will be boosted to match the level of the mission and the other player but maintaining statistics is kinda contrary to this notion, no?

i figured that your character's stats are saved on that particular game, so when u r playing with the same friend than you will have a persistent character, but if u play a new game with another friend than u will have a new persistent character for THAT game.

im not sure what they're doing there.

i figured that your character's stats are saved on that particular game, so when u r playing with the same friend than you will have a persistent character, but if u play a new game with another friend than u will have a new persistent character for THAT game.

im not sure what they're doing there.

So far, that's exactly how we know it works. Characters exist only in the scope of a single playthrough/savegame, and the player who plays them has complete control on their leveling and equipment.

I also hope that Obsidian has thought of putting an off-switch for the other player's ability to give their opinion in dialogs, because this could become tiresome when everyone is only interested in the combat.

i play with someone else and we start from the beginning, will i be a level 10 character in a world where my friend is level 1 and the enemies are weak?

No, because you can play a new character from Level 1 along with your friend as well? I don't think there's ever been a game where you can't do that. I'm not sure what has led you to think it would be otherwise? The only thing that changes in DS3 is that now, you don't have to worry about your friend being higher level than you.

I also hope that Obsidian has thought of putting an off-switch for the other player's ability to give their opinion in dialogs, because this could become tiresome when everyone is only interested in the combat.

Why should there be an off-switch? It's not like they're obligated to give their opinion or like the host can't just choose a dialogue option alone anyway.

Why should there be an off-switch? It's not like they're obligated to give their opinion or like the host can't just choose a dialogue option alone anyway.

For this system to work when the players want to use it, I think the host should only make his choice at the end, when everyone else has already chosen. I know that simply hitting a button isn't that much of a choir, but still, being able to just have one person taking care of this could be nice if nobody is interested in the story and dialogs.

i play with someone else and we start from the beginning, will i be a level 10 character in a world where my friend is level 1 and the enemies are weak?

No, because you can play a new character from Level 1 along with your friend as well? I don't think there's ever been a game where you can't do that. I'm not sure what has led you to think it would be otherwise? The only thing that changes in DS3 is that now, you don't have to worry about your friend being higher level than you.

Just to clarify, you mean you can't play a high level character in a new game, that you have to play one of the unused level 0 characters? Games always offer the choice of starting a new character, well avatar given character has a bit of a different meaning in DS3.

Just to clarify, you mean you can't play a high level character in a new game, that you have to play one of the unused level 0 characters? Games always offer the choice of starting a new character, well avatar given character has a bit of a different meaning in DS3.

I think he means that, yes. Though, don't forget its still speculation. :)

Just read this is getting delayed until about the 17th of June. All i can say is i hope that its to tweak the Co-op, i've always enjoyed the other DS's and really hoping that the local coop is something complelty different then the coop over LIVE.

From what we know. Yes.

http://www.destructoid.com/obsidian-explai...ns-195120.phtml

C2B, my sincere apologies. You were right all the time about co-op, man. I don

Just read this is getting delayed until about the 17th of June. All i can say is i hope that its to tweak the Co-op, i've always enjoyed the other DS's and really hoping that the local coop is something complelty different then the coop over LIVE.

From what we know. Yes.

C2B, my sincere apologies. You were right all the time about co-op, man. I don

My guess is that your savegame is not just that of one character, but all four characters, so when you play online coop, each player is picking the character from their pool of four, but just have to make sure that they are picking different ones. You're picking Lucas from your pool of four and I'm picking Catarina from my pool of 4. And everything I pick up gets added to my pool of inventory and gold and everything you pick up gets added to yours

I feel like its going to be a renter for sure. The multiplayer doesn't look like its going to be fulfilling to me. I am really not looking forward to having to play multiple versions of characters running through the same story over and over because I am not allowed to have a static character.

My guess is that your savegame is not just that of one character, but all four characters, so when you play online coop, each player is picking the character from their pool of four, but just have to make sure that they are picking different ones. You're picking Lucas from your pool of four and I'm picking Catarina from my pool of 4. And everything I pick up gets added to my pool of inventory and gold and everything you pick up gets added to yours

Save game may be correct but not the rest as I understand it.

Using your example. If I host I get first choice, and choose Reinhart, which leaves 3 from MY pool for you. You choose Cat which leaves two others available from my pool if anyone else wants to play. When I save and quit, our inventory, including whatever your Cat has, gets saved to my system. If, when I continue, you don't come back you just wasted 8 hours of monster killing time, albeit hopefully had fun wasting it. If you decide to play Cat in someone else's game you have to make sure she's available in their pool. Once in you're established as per the point in the game they are. If they've half completed it with Lucas, Cat will be half levelled up, though her equipment may still be level 0 unless the host of that game has given her equipment.

In short the only player to own a pool of inventory, gold, etc is the player hosting. As host I'm graciously allowing you to play in my sandbox. When it's time to leave you have to leave your toys behind!

Woah, there're quite a few games that are now coming out in May and June. Not sure if DS3 is on my buy list. I mean I love Obsidian, but the game looks kinda dated and retro. Not sure if this is a good thing.

Dated & retro in what sense? The graphics look pretty good from what I can see. Interface is another matter of course but that's minor tweaking. Controls perhaps - no we've only seen console to date. Approach? Well I'm not sure I'd call characters as opposed to classes old school but I admit I can't see the reason why they they couldn't do a KotOR\ME etc style character 'class' with a backstory - yeah okay those're all BioWare examples. I could keep brainstorming possibliities but it's probably best if I simply ask retro how???

Using your example. If I host I get first choice, and choose Reinhart, which leaves 3 from MY pool for you. You choose Cat which leaves two others available from my pool if anyone else wants to play. When I save and quit, our inventory, including whatever your Cat has, gets saved to my system. If, when I continue, you don't come back you just wasted 8 hours of monster killing time, albeit hopefully had fun wasting it. If you decide to play Cat in someone else's game you have to make sure she's available in their pool. Once in you're established as per the point in the game they are. If they've half completed it with Lucas, Cat will be half levelled up, though her equipment may still be level 0 unless the host of that game has given her equipment.

In short the only player to own a pool of inventory, gold, etc is the player hosting. As host I'm graciously allowing you to play in my sandbox. When it's time to leave you have to leave your toys behind!

I think that was the suspicion early on but they have since said that in multiplayer games all players get to keep their experience and loot.

Unfortunately the information on online multiplayer seems to be hard to find (at least for me, heh)... I've only seen one useful article on it, and that was one C2B posted. You can see the interview with associate producer Nathan Davis here...

What the interview says about our online multiplayer characters is that they will be different than our single player ones, and that they will persistently grow as we play them... much like Two Worlds 2 (as the interviewer explains it), or even the first two Dungeon Siege games (which aren't too different than the way the multiplayer in Two Worlds 2 works... as far as multiplayer only characters go). What isn't mentioned, however, is whether or not you will be able to export your single player characters into multiplayer ones, like you could do in the older Dungeon Siege games.

As for the loot aspect, Mr. Davis himself says "Co-op players can absolutely expect to have the loot and experience they gain in multiplayer games to be saved to their multiplayer characters". So, there you have it. As lasthearth says. =)

Edited by hopfrog16

Unfortunately the information on online multiplayer seems to be hard to find (at least for me, heh)... I've only seen one useful article on it, and that was one C2B posted. You can see the interview with associate producer Nathan Davis here...

What the interview says about our online multiplayer characters is that they will be different than our single player ones, and that they will persistently grow as we play them... much like Two Worlds 2 (as the interviewer explains it), or even the first two Dungeon Siege games (which aren't too different than the way the multiplayer in Two Worlds 2 works... as far as multiplayer only characters go). What isn't mentioned, however, is whether or not you will be able to export your single player characters into multiplayer ones, like you could do in the older Dungeon Siege games.

As for the loot aspect, Mr. Davis himself says "Co-op players can absolutely expect to have the loot and experience they gain in multiplayer games to be saved to their multiplayer characters". So, there you have it. As lasthearth says. =)

Okay that's definitely better, especially for drop in drop out stuff.

Well from the destrctoid interview they had with Nathan Davis. That sounded great and what I was hoping for until I watched this newer preview G4TV had with Lead Designer Nathaniel Chapman. It sounds totally different between what each other said. They should have it where single player and co-op are different meaning that you'll have characters dedicated for each like they did in Two Worlds 2. If they don't change it then I won't be getting this game.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/52047/Dungeon-S...nds-On-Preview/