Aesthetically pleasing female character designs.

Internal sex identity interacts with sociological standards.

So it's not all social perceptions.

Male homosexuality between adults was a major part of Greek military doctrine at one point, so it seems unlikely that we're "born straight".

And through medieval period it was punished by burning at the stake.

Not the best example to make an argument.

Third gender individuals (kathoey, hijra, sworn virgins, fa'afafine, western transsexuals, etc) in different cultures often express that differently. Why do you think that is?

Biological diffrences if willing.

For unwilling cases a combination of social/personal factors and peer presurre.

I'm my own person, damnit. Any 'affect' that society may have on me is absolutely trumped by my sense of self, personality, background, and nature. Period.

Don't worry Volo i'm sure that you are going to be your "own" person for a long time. :o

At some point we all have to agree on something to varying degrees, the media just presents models of beauty while we may have others. Like let's say someone who loves how Katy Perry looks, while I might agree that she is beautiful I prefer Cate Blanchett over her.

P.S: I really do.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Then explain why I don't like everything 'society' supposedly tells me too.

Tell me why I don't give a crap about Pokeman.

Because you older than 12? If so then you fit in with the societal norm. See you totally do what 'society' tells you too.

Tell me why I don't give a crap about The Dark Knight.

Because Matter-Eater Lad is your favorite comic book hero.

Tell me why I don't give a crap about lobster.

Because you are supposed to put butter on it.

Tell me why i don't think Jennifer Lopez is the most beautiful woman in the world.

Because you are looking at her face. Look at the junk in the trunk. Transplant that junk onto any other trunk and that woman is now the most beautiful one in the world.

Tell me why I am not in love with Gaga's music.

Because you don't like listening to drunk singing. You are fitting in with that norm again. I did kind of like that 'Poke Her Face' song though...

Tell me why I like BIO when society tells me I should hate them.

Have you seen Bio's reviews by most players and professional reviewers? Fit in with the norm again. We're just weird here.

Tell me why I'm not smoking a dobie even though society tells me its cool and I should.

Society is undecided over this one... so either way you go with this one you are following it's norm.

"Ah, I see, so your background is that you grew up on an island and never consumed media whatsoever. "

No, my background that is I influence myself a lot more than society does. I do enjoy a lot of things that society dissaproves of me enjoying and don't enjoy a lot fo things it tells me I should.

I have NEVER bought a single thing because a stuipid commerical told me too. Not a single thing.

Greasy, since you seem to enjoy these things:

Tell me why I enjoy soap operas even though according to society as a heterosecual male I shouldn't.

Tell me why I perfer pepsi to coke even though coke is more popular.

Tell me why I prefer a hamburger to a steak.

Tell me why I believe JE is better than KOTOR even though society tells me it should be the other way around.

Tell me why I find DA and DA2 equal in quality when I've been told by society that DA2 is 'crap'.

Tell me why I enjoy D&D games when I'm told I shouldn't.

Tell me why I like BL but dislike MW even though society says it should be the other way around.

R00fles!

P.S. Pokeman is popular amongst adults. No way does it sell that much based on just kiddies.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Ah, so it's just a coincidence that you happen to live in a society where media tells you that 36-24-36 is attractive and you also believe that 36-24-36 is attractive. Even though standards of beauty vary wildly across the world and history, even though historically "fatties" were viewed as attractive, your particular cares and desires for women just so happen to fit with those that your society tells you. It's, what, biological? Pfft.

While some things are indeed cultural, we are instilled with an objective appreciation of beauty based on some universal proportions (lots of examples if you can be bothered searching, just listing the top google one http://www.intmath.com/numbers/math-of-beauty.php). All aspects of our looks, from body to facial proportions gets analysed independently of culture and compared to an innate known set of rules. What the media is doing is pounding those not meeting the (usually unattainable) ideal proportions and offering (often useless) remedies to if not reach those proportions then at least give the illusion of having those proportions. Then there is of course the cultural aspect, but the reason is the same as far as the media is concerned, it's about pushing as many SKU"s over the counter as possible regardless of whether there is a need or not.

Well, ever notice how recently it's become attractive for adult women to have no hair anywhere except on their heads?

Those of us who are old enough did notice that recently (like the last 10-15 years) adult women show a lot more body parts that previously was covered up or at least shown less in public. We also noticed the counter reaction and an increasing sense of Neo-Victorian prudeness wave washing over the western world.

Tell me why I enjoy soap operas even though according to society as a heterosecual male I shouldn't.
No self respecting male would be caught dead watching soaps.

Tell me why I perfer pepsi to coke even though coke is more popular.
Don't be wrong just for the sake of being different

Tell me why I prefer a hamburger to a steak.
You still have your teeth?

Tell me why I believe JE is better than KOTOR even though society tells me it should be the other way around.
Because society never bothered to buy, much less play JE

Tell me why I find DA and DA2 equal in quality when I've been told by society that DA2 is 'crap'.
They are both made by EA

Tell me why I enjoy D&D games when I'm told I shouldn't.
Your info is outdated. D&D players are no longer publicly accused of being satanists

Tell me why I like BL but dislike MW even though society says it should be the other way around.
You got me there (what is BL and MW?!?)

P.S. Pokeman is popular amongst adults. No way does it sell that much based on just kiddies.
Would you be surprised... try searching for age groups and disposable income. Explains why some publishers are horrified by the thought of M or even worse, R ratings.

Face it Volourn, you are perfectly normal :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

While some things are indeed cultural, we are instilled with an objective appreciation of beauty based on some universal proportions (lots of examples if you can be bothered searching, just listing the top google one http://www.intmath.com/numbers/math-of-beauty.php). All aspects of our looks, from body to facial proportions gets analysed independently of culture and compared to an innate known set of rules. What the media is doing is pounding those not meeting the (usually unattainable) ideal proportions and offering (often useless) remedies to if not reach those proportions then at least give the illusion of having those proportions. Then there is of course the cultural aspect, but the reason is the same as far as the media is concerned, it's about pushing as many SKU"s over the counter as possible regardless of whether there is a need or not.
Ah, so it's mathematically proven that white people are more attractive. Thanks. :lol:

A fairly in-depth pointing out of the way that the beauty mask you link is Eurocentric.

PS: The ideal waist hip ratio varies between cultures, heavily.

Edited by lord of flies

I don't know because I have LoF and Vol on ignore, I only checked in to see some hot elf chicks.
I don't know why you'd confess to putting the best poster (LoF) on ignore. He's so dreamy~~
I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

I don't know because I have LoF and Vol on ignore, I only checked in to see some hot elf chicks.
I don't know why you'd confess to putting the best poster (LoF) on ignore. He's so dreamy~~

Monte couldnt handle the truth, so shut the door to the kitchen and boarded it up with planks. And now he cant even grab a sandwich

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Monte can't handle people that think they posses the "truth" for themselves, post some random Internet study/article (who can be disproven quite easily with a different one), dismiss other opinions and twists what others say to let it fit their own perspective.

Fixed for accuracy.

Also the last bit pretty much fits the last 2-3 pages where LOFs answers consists of just that. Dismiss the others opinion, twist them and post some article to prove "some" unspecified point.

That way you are always "right".

ITT: Arguments worthy of internet boards and politics.

I salute you all, brothers. :p

Edited by C2B

I just realised that it's a bit weird that LoF is also obyknven and obyknven's avatar is Anna Chapman. With her norks on display like a shelf of veg.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just realised that it's a bit weird that LoF is also obyknven and obyknven's avatar is Anna Chapman. With her norks on display like a shelf of veg.
Uh, no, LoF is Krezack. I thought we had established this?
Fixed for accuracy.

Also the last bit pretty much fits the last 2-3 pages where LOFs answers consists of just that. Dismiss the others opinion, twist them and post some article to prove "some" unspecified point.

An internet study's about five times better than any argument you've ever offered. Studies are the most reliable data gathering method.
I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

An internet study's about five times better than any argument you've ever offered. Studies are the most reliable data gathering method.

I.....

I.....

This is the best forum ever.

Edited by C2B

Uh, no, LoF is Krezack. I thought we had established this?

I thought Krezack was my mum.

And my mum is dead.

I'm very confused now.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

jeezus what happened to this thread....

did people mention Trip from Enslaved yet? I liked her design, not super practical, but not a total joke either.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Rihanna from Homefront is nice. Quite conservatively dressed aswell, for the sexually inhibited amongst us

homefront1.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I.....

I.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_significance

Tell me why I don't give a crap about The Dark Knight.

Because Matter-Eater Lad is your favorite comic book hero.

"Trust me. I'm a Senator." - Tenzil Kem, Matter-Eater Lad

The issue where M-E Lad defends Polar Boy is pure GENIUS. >_

Dont make me bust out Ivy Valentine...

Doesn't she do this pretty much without help anyhow?

ba-dum-dum!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I.....

I.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_significance

Yeah, because that applies here or - to say it in a better way - everywhere.

And is in any way connected to whats wrong with your statement.

Edit: Ahhh, I don't want to play anymore.

Studies without raw numbers = Worthless

Even with the numbers people can draw conclusions that aren't the truth/only a part of it. Because they only analyze the numbers to prove some point. Thereby overlooking context or maybe they interpret things wrong/make assumptions or they just didn't cover every important information in their study. Try something: Give 5 people the same amount of information and then let them isolated draw conclusions from it.

Random internet study that is full with pretentious talk that was written by some random dude:

Buahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

Edited by C2B