Aesthetically pleasing female character designs.

I always thought that Spock was the origin of the popularity of pointed ears.

He certainly made them a lot more famous than Tolkien did.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

you could be right. anybody know when santa's elves became popularized as pointy-eared faeries?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think it's more the handlebar style ears rather than just pointy ones.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

old

She's 38.

Ive seen almost every episode of Farscape and I still dont find her attractive

That's okay, she doesn't find you attractive either.

poster-claudia-black_thumb.jpg

Yeah... I agree :sorcerer:

Hey, Im usually quite popular with older women :*

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I've heard Keebler Cookie Elves mentioned as the origin.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Hey, Im usually quite popular with older women >_<

Is this because Granny loves/loved you?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I always thought the Elven-ear look was attributable to the RECORD OF LODOSS WAR tv series that came out in the 1990s and its subsequent popularity...

May also be from FFXI's Elvaans (not kidding)

elvaan.jpg

Yet another reason to want to beat elves about the head and neck with broken bottles. Stupid flimsy sticky out ears. HOW DO THEY ****ING SLEEP?

I just realised I'm a racist after all. About elves.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I always thought the Elven-ear look was attributable to the RECORD OF LODOSS WAR tv series that came out in the 1990s and its subsequent popularity...

May also be from FFXI's Elvaans (not kidding)

elvaan.jpg

Yet another reason to want to beat elves about the head and neck with broken bottles. Stupid flimsy sticky out ears. HOW DO THEY ****ING SLEEP?

I just realised I'm a racist after all. About elves.

What do their ears have to do with how they sleep?

There are tons of animals that have similiar ears.

Edit: Welp, now I'm probably racist too.

Edited by C2B

Everybody is popular with their grandmothers.

Is this because Granny loves/loved you?

You leave my grandmothers out of this! :ermm:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Either some people are intentionally missing the point, or you have a really really weird idea of what qualifies as a protective armor. Of course D&D is D&D but come on..
The thread starter assumes there's something wrong with the established image of women in games. I'm protesting that notion, he's wrong.

There are different tastes of course, but the beauty norms of modern age do cater to majority, thus it's inevitable we'll see the exaggerated version of those norms in games, as game studios want to make their characters even more appealing to larger audience.

Given a choice between:

a) aesthetically pleasing but impractical form

b) practical but aesthetically bland form(note: not ugly)

I'd choose A everytime.

Form over function. This works extremely well in games because actions and movement in game world is not restricted by the same laws of physics real world is.

The thread starter assumes there's something wrong with the established image of women in games. I'm protesting that notion, he's wrong.

There are different tastes of course, but the beauty norms of modern age do cater to majority, thus it's inevitable we'll see the exaggerated version of those norms in games, as game studios want to make their characters even more appealing to larger audience.

Given a choice between:

a) aesthetically pleasing but impractical form

b) practical but aesthetically bland form(note: not ugly)

I'd choose A everytime.

Form over function. This works extremely well in games because actions and movement in game world is not restricted by the same laws of physics real world is.

Uhm... No, he's not, the image of women in computer games often don't have a base in reality or believability and strengthens the notion that gamers are juveniles looking to get a quick and easy "rise".

Certainly there are widely divergent tastes in the gaming community, but they're are trying to find the examples of women in games and other media were the artists have'nt taken the easy way out and actually put some thought into their designs.

And form over function does'nt "work extremely well" because it breaks your sense of what is actually possible and strains your suspense of disbelief to the breakingpoint.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Certainly there are widely divergent tastes in the gaming community, but they're are trying to find the examples of women in games and other media were the artists have'nt taken the easy way out and actually put some thought into their designs.

Thats a really stupid acquisation.

Spending "thought" on something doesn't necessarily mean to make it as realistic as possible. It depends on the artistic goal. Just because a costume highlights boobs, doesn't mean there was no time spent in designing it.

Whats the easy way out when it comes to art anyway? Wouldn't that be just copying already existing artworks?

Edited by C2B

When I design women, I do a quick sketch then I ask myself 'is her ass big enough?' If it isnt or if Im not sure, then I'll make it bigger. Then I repeat the process until it's done. This how the whole industry operates

[quote name='Sven-

Now -that- is a specification :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

When I design women, I do a quick sketch then I ask myself 'is her ass big enough?' If it isnt or if Im not sure, then I'll make it bigger. Then I repeat the process until it's done. This how the whole industry operates

[quote name='Sven-

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Spending "thought" on something doesn't necessarily mean to make it as realistic as possible. It depends on the artistic goal. Just because a costume highlights boobs, doesn't mean there was no time spent in designing it.

Whats the easy way out when it comes to art anyway? Wouldn't that be just copying already existing artworks?

I'm not talking about time to draw the thing.

The time it takes to actually draw the thing and make it look good might be on equal terms, but it takes more time and effort to think up a concept that is pleasing to look at that does'nt show off several square feet of skin. Also goes for the general form aswell.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm not talking about time to draw the thing.

The time it takes to actually draw the thing and make it look good might be on equal terms, but it takes more time and effort to think up a concept that is pleasing to look at that does'nt show off several square feet of skin. Also goes for the general form aswell.

I wasn't too.

They don't sleep, they meditate.

Wankers, so they are.

~~

Which animals have ears that stick straight out sideways? Because I am going to bloody kill one, shave it, write 'elf' on it in barbecue sauce, and have myself some dinner.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.