HBO's Game of Thrones

MechanicalLemon

They keep hintng at it,

but there's not going to be any unded invasion

Haven't read the books, just second hand.

Hm. So it maybe never gets much beyond what they're doing now? That's a little disappointing. I mean, I don't need/want LotR end of the world massive army fight scenario or anything, but the way they're building it up and up as some kind of big mystery/threat, one expects/want a little bit of resolution. Vague threats that never materialize are/would be ... weak.

...decided to wiki the books, reading just the plot descriptions for "The Wall" and it looks like not much until the 3rd book, and then maybe more in the 6th and 7th books that aren't finished/published yet. :/

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

About their age, we have to remember that people in a medieval setting would to us, look a lot older than they are.. I was looking at pictures the from the American civil war the other day and people in the late 30's looked 50-60'ish by todays standards.. Now I can only imagine that this would be even more prominent when we go back to the 12-13th century (which seems to be the technology era Game of Thrones takes place).

Fortune favors the bald.

About their age, we have to remember that people in a medieval setting would to us, look a lot older than they are.. I was looking at pictures the from the American civil war the other day and people in the late 30's looked 50-60'ish by todays standards..

True to a point perhaps (rougher lifestyles), but some of that youngish ppl looking older also comes from the photography tech/style back then. They were not terribly flattering to skin tones and textures...not to mention the rather severe poses/expressions of most portraits, weird hair, and very easily damaged photo material from any handling. Even 10 years later the tech was better and ppl started looking a bit more like we might expect.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

for the most part i like what they're doing with the show

only a few minor gripes so far, such as:

Ros - her character serves no purpose

Stannis - the casting just seems wrong

no Thoros (so far at least) - it'd be really interesting to see him as a counterpoint to Mellisandre as far as red priests go

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Long post time.

this season should of had at least 15 episodes in order to tell the story as it should be in my opinion

I agree with you 100% that this show needs more episodes to flesh out the story. I started the series ~10 years ago (been a loyal fan ever since) and I feel that the show is going way too fast. Unfortunately, I've read interviews with the writers and in order to air the show on a yearly basis, they can at most do 10 episodes. Disappointing.

Stannis in my opinion isn't convincing, the actor in question doesn't radiate that unemotional, stone hard, resolved, conservative and authoritative figure like he is in the book in my opinion.

Stannis is one of my top five characters in the series and I do have some reservations with how he's been portrayed so far. I'm willing to give Stephen Dillane the benefit of the doubt (he was incredible as Thomas Jefferson in John Adams). Plus, the scene where he's dictating the letter was pretty well done imo.

there are indications the two of them maybe having something, but nothing was directly said about it and it is based only on their close cooperation.

Agreed. I think it's one of those inevitable transitions from book to TV. GRRM certainly implied Melisandre/Stannis as well as Renly/Loras but it was never shown outright. Whereas GRRM could subtly hint at it, the TV show is very blunt and heavy-handed.

For an example the character of Ros Even. WTF is that chick even doing in the show?

I mentioned this in an earlier post but yeah...she needs to go. I get that they're using her character in place of all the other prostitutes in the book. My beef is that she's an annoying character that's getting too much screentime, time that could have been better spent fleshing out the more major characters.

It's a good thing of course there's gonna be season 3, I just hope they won't do the entire season in just 10 episodes.

They're splitting it up into 2 seasons. Now, where they'll end Season 3 is the question...

At least this episode had a bit more focus. Tyrion, how I love you.

....I'm considering putting this series on semi-hold tho. That is, wait for a few episodes and watch them all at once via HBO's on-demand. With the type of structure the show has, watching more than one at a time would probably make it click better for me.

I thought Theon looked very Gollumesque during the end of the scene on the beach. He just plain creeps me out. Very good episode for the dude playing the young mister Greyjoy.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I'm personally glad that we don't have to suffer through a bunch of sword-fighting scenes, it's rare that they are in the least bit interesting.

That said, I'm also inclined to agree that parts of the series feel forced in how "mature" they want to portray it. I think Joffrey's character in particular is starting to feel boring to watch because of the whole "evil child" thing. Not that it was much different in the books from what I can remember, but...

Also, the finale of this episode was largely one that gave me pause in the books as well, where it sorta went off in a direction that I felt was sort of... out of place. I never really liked the Melisandre character much as she really feels like a character directed at type of people who love to write and read fanfics. Of course the TV-series takes full advantage of this.

But again, in the larger scheme of things, it is also nitpicking. I found the books to be excellent reads for the most parts and the TV-series is in my opinion pretty damn good. This episode was probably my favorite so far in this season.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I have to say, I've got the first season downloaded for viewing at some point.. but I just can't seem to get in the proper mood / enthusiasm to watch them. Maybe it's because I didn't overly enjoy the books that much. The first one was kind of enjoyable, and I forced myself to read the next two, but eh, it just didn't capture me.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have the same, except I never read the books. It's more of a case of everyone around me being so constantly enthralled and enthousiastic about this show that it could never live up to my expectations of it. Better to just let the files sit there while the commotion dies down.

I'm reading the books now and I'd rate them as bit lacking but I'm still enjoying the series a great deal.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

As has been noted before, the books as a whole do tend to go the grim-dark route by being incredibly rapey.

Is that a proper adjective?

But pretty much every female character in the books (whether teenager or adult) seems to end up with at least one instance of abuse, and/or rape by some random guy, some enemy, their spouse, or family member. Or at least, that's how it felt by the time I'd finished book three.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

This last episode ended at 9:53pm instead of about 9:58pm and I felt ripped off. Hahaha. It was a decent episode...like a things are starting to move after all the setup, feeling.

Re: the pervy/sexy stuff - it's HBO. The more they can do scenes like that, the more it justifies that they aren't a "network" with limitations. They love any excuse to put as much in as possible. But yea, that scene was pushing the edge a bit even for me in terms of dwelling on it too long (reading it in text is a different thing than seeing it on screen, imo). We get it...Joffrey's a sadistic, sick, pervy, spoiled boy-King. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson