Possibly a very stupid idea

There's obviously money in, and a market for, expansions of very new games. But with all this talk about turn based games a thought occurs to me:

Would it be possible to make money by developing and releasing an 'expansion' for a very old game, like Baldur's Gate?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, not with an AAA budget that's for certain. But it would'nt be impossible I think, with a smart budget to make a bit of money by doing that. Depends on if you for instance want VA and such, I've been told that costs a minor fortune.

I'd love to see one for for instance Jagged Alliance 2, or similar.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

for iPhone maybe, or browser-based :)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

In theory you could make money, if you could get over the compatibility issues, dated code, the (likely) dispersion of the team who originally made the game, getting the game known to the target audience without spending more on advertising than on the actual game and picking a game that still generates interest years after its release (very few of those around) and of course - funding.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I bought the Broken Sword "Director's Cut" which had bit of added content towards the start of the game, so yeah, sort of. And apparently it's one of the most successful games on iOS, proving yet again that Mac users are easy to please. :)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I bought the Broken Sword "Director's Cut" which had bit of added content towards the start of the game, so yeah, sort of. And apparently it's one of the most successful games on iOS, proving yet again that Mac users are easy to please. :)

That's the problem with Baldur's Gate, you wouldn't be able to ship it on the App Store, PSN or Xbox live, it's a shame because after ten years most people have access to production software and equipment that's way more sophisticated than what Bioware used back in the day.

It could cost peanuts to make but the available market for it would be small, niche, still, I've never completed the Baldur's Gate games and I'd buy a decent expansion pack just because it'd be really cool.