Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Witcher 2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
580 replies to this topic

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
A bazillion of screenshots from the preview version on Ripten.

Preview and Youtube footage from VE3D.

I don't understand why games that rely pretty heavily on dialogue can put in facial animations that look so bad. First Dungeon Siege III, now this...

EDIT: Ah, and of course, every single game Bethesda has ever released.

EDIT 2: Some screenshots are NSFW. Since there's 250 of them, not posting them just because of a handful in the second page seemed a little ridiculous to me, but feel free to edit my post and remove the link to the gallery.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver, 09 May 2011 - 12:36 AM.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10616 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
So who is going with a GoG.com pre-order? What free game are you getting? I'm aiming at Divine Divinity. Seems to be the best combination of recent/rating and I already have Gothic 2.

I think the FAQ indicated that if we do the pre-sale tomorrow, we can claim the free game at that time.

Edited by Tale, 09 May 2011 - 11:07 AM.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8910 posts
What's with the excessive lighting in those screenies? I bet if you turn them off, Dragon Age 2 appears from underneath.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So who is going with a GoG.com pre-order? What free game are you getting? I'm aiming at Divine Divinity. Seems to be the best combination of recent/rating and I already have Gothic 2.

I think the FAQ indicated that if we do the pre-sale tomorrow, we can claim the free game at that time.

Me. And I think I'll go with Divine Divinity myself.. I was a little undecided between that and Realms of Arkania but my sight problems make me a little wary of Dosbox games.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10168 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I have Gothic & ROM, will get Divine Divinity. GOG > *.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10616 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

GOG > *.

I find myself browsing their catalogue a little too much for a guy with his plate full, lately. Ooh, Another World. Ooh, Gabriel Knight. I never did play Icewind Dale. Dragonshard is free!

I never paid them any serious attention until recently.

Edited by Tale, 09 May 2011 - 11:42 AM.

Slinky

Slinky

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2177 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I don't understand why games that rely pretty heavily on dialogue can put in facial animations that look so bad. First Dungeon Siege III, now this...

Gotta agree with you there. HL2 is 7 years old and we still get crappy facial animations on games, the hell is up with that.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8910 posts
Do yourselves a favour and get "XIII" from GoG now you have the opportunity.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10616 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I actually bought that a long time ago. Played it and promptly forgot everything about it.

I don't consider that a recommendation.

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1888 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah the facial animations suck quite badly, I also hope the game doesn't run as choppy as it appears in most preview videos, on the subject of versions, I pre-ordered from Game.co.uk as it was 5 less than GOG for a physical copy.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah the facial animations suck quite badly, I also hope the game doesn't run as choppy as it appears in most preview videos, on the subject of versions, I pre-ordered from Game.co.uk as it was 5 less than GOG for a physical copy.

You don't get artbook and no DRM though :thumbsup:

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8910 posts

Clearly no expense was spared to create "tasteful" sex scenes, though. What a waste of zloty.

WDeranged

WDeranged

• Members
  • 1888 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah but I get paper dolls :thumbsup:

As for the DRM, ve have vays.

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3029 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Facial animations don't bother me a whole lot but I agree on the framerate stuff. While it's nothing disastrous, I think it's been a bit uneven in some videos showing the game off. And that's on machines that are probably a good deal meatier than mine.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4721 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
You guys do realise that most online videos run at 30 fps or something - everything looks choppy in them... :thumbsup:

/Broken record

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Facial animations don't bother me a whole lot but I agree on the framerate stuff. While it's nothing disastrous, I think it's been a bit uneven in some videos showing the game off. And that's on machines that are probably a good deal meatier than mine.

Well, a screen of the configuration program was leaked and was on NeoGAF and there's quite a lot of stuff to tweak. Hopefully people withing the specs will be able to find a decent configuration for themselves. That said, yeah, it does look like it's a fairly heavy game, especially with the bells and whistles turned on. Not really sure how they expect it to run on consoles.

WDeranged

WDeranged

• Members
  • 1888 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

You guys do realise that most online videos run at 30 fps or something - everything looks choppy in them... :thumbsup:

/Broken record

I'm aware and to be honest it's what I'm banking on, people who've tried it say that it's smooth as butter so fingers crossed, also, considering the amount of languages they're covering I suppose I can live with ****ty facial anims.

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No, there are a lot of videos with noticeable slowdowns in action scenes, and none of the previews so far as hinted at someone running it at 60 fps without dips. Granted, honestly, considering how good it looks, not-optimal performance, as long as not bad, would be okay by me, but that's probably just because the original game makes me expect the worst.

MechanicalLemon

MechanicalLemon

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 205 posts
Thanks for the writeup, sorophx.

You guys do realise that most online videos run at 30 fps or something - everything looks choppy in them... :blink:

No, there are a lot of videos with noticeable slowdowns in action scenes, and none of the previews so far as hinted at someone running it at 60 fps without dips. Granted, honestly, considering how good it looks, not-optimal performance, as long as not bad, would be okay by me, but that's probably just because the original game makes me expect the worst.

From the looks of it, Ripten's Dave Oshry said he was running the game at 45-55 fps at Ultra despite those settings not being finalized yet. For high, he said he ran at 60 fps. Of course, that may be due to his PC.

I hope it's optimized. /fingers crossed

Here's G4tv's preview. And here's the sixth developer diary "Combat" from Gamespot.

EDIT: Buck at GB has his preview up as well. Link

Edited by MechanicalLemon, 09 May 2011 - 07:29 PM.

funcroc

funcroc

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2149 posts
Summary of CDAction.pl review

EDIT: Developer Diary 6 - Combat

Edited by funcroc, 09 May 2011 - 08:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users