The Witcher 2

first reviews are beginning to pop up. I just rea one, the guys says it's awesome, especially the combat system, "hardcore and tactical [...] a simpler version of Demon's Souls", sounds promising.

apparently there is no loading time (at least he never encountered any spots where the map had to load up), and the whole location is just one huge map.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

first reviews are beginning to pop up. I just rea one, the guys says it's awesome, especially the combat system, "hardcore and tactical [...] a simpler version of Demon's Souls", sounds promising.

apparently there is no loading time (at least he never encountered any spots where the map had to load up), and the whole location is just one huge map.

What magazine was it? Any other details from the review would be appreciated.

I think those things overclocked to 3GHz+ easily (setting FSB to 333MHz will get to 3GHz on the dot). That's assuming it's an original 2006 model with stock at 2.4GHz, not the 2010 ones which came at 3.06GHz.

Yeah, early c2ds are easy to overclock. My e6400 is slower at stock than an e6600 and I've run it at 3GHz. Didn't make much practical difference, then again at the time I had a very weak graphics card I was trying to compensate for which was probably the main bottleneck.

What magazine was it? Any other details from the review would be appreciated.

not a magazine, a guy who works at a publishing house, he got the preview version of the game yesterday. so it's not the final build yet. not too many details. maybe there'll be more tomorrow

[...]You can clearly see Demon's Souls has been their main influence when working on the combat system. I hated it in the original Witcher game, but now it's just what the game needed: you have to evade from enemy attacks, maneuver so you don't get cornered, and use magic spells and items [not sure if he means parts of the environment or consumables]. On higher levels of difficulty it really resembles Demon's Souls, although The Witcher 2 isn't *that* hardcore.

The graphics are amazing: bright and colorful picture, massive battles, 1920x1200 on Ultra settings - runs very smoothly (i5-760/4GB/GeForce 460), but too much motion blur for my taste. The animation is fantastic, though.

[...]Not going to say much about the story. The attack on the castle is pretty linear, not too many choices, but it's supposed to be that way since that part is actually a recollection of events. But I love the writing, very cynical at times, a lot like in the books. And of course

the dragon - this one instantly reminded me of the first world in Demon's Souls, but of course it was a lot easier here.

There's also a plot line involving the deaths of Geralt and Yennifer, very promising. I always wanted to see it in the game, but it was completely omitted in the original The Witcher

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

A bazillion of screenshots from the preview version on Ripten.

Preview and

from VE3D.

I don't understand why games that rely pretty heavily on dialogue can put in facial animations that look so bad. First Dungeon Siege III, now this...

EDIT: Ah, and of course, every single game Bethesda has ever released.

EDIT 2: Some screenshots are NSFW. Since there's 250 of them, not posting them just because of a handful in the second page seemed a little ridiculous to me, but feel free to edit my post and remove the link to the gallery.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

So who is going with a GoG.com pre-order? What free game are you getting? I'm aiming at Divine Divinity. Seems to be the best combination of recent/rating and I already have Gothic 2.

I think the FAQ indicated that if we do the pre-sale tomorrow, we can claim the free game at that time.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So who is going with a GoG.com pre-order? What free game are you getting? I'm aiming at Divine Divinity. Seems to be the best combination of recent/rating and I already have Gothic 2.

I think the FAQ indicated that if we do the pre-sale tomorrow, we can claim the free game at that time.

Me. And I think I'll go with Divine Divinity myself.. I was a little undecided between that and Realms of Arkania but my sight problems make me a little wary of Dosbox games.

GOG > *.

I find myself browsing their catalogue a little too much for a guy with his plate full, lately. Ooh, Another World. Ooh, Gabriel Knight. I never did play Icewind Dale. Dragonshard is free!

I never paid them any serious attention until recently.

Edited by Tale

Guest Slinky
I don't understand why games that rely pretty heavily on dialogue can put in facial animations that look so bad. First Dungeon Siege III, now this...

Gotta agree with you there. HL2 is 7 years old and we still get crappy facial animations on games, the hell is up with that.

I actually bought that a long time ago. Played it and promptly forgot everything about it.

I don't consider that a recommendation.

Yeah the facial animations suck quite badly, I also hope the game doesn't run as choppy as it appears in most preview videos, on the subject of versions, I pre-ordered from Game.co.uk as it was

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

You guys do realise that most online videos run at 30 fps or something - everything looks choppy in them... :thumbsup:

/Broken record

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

You guys do realise that most online videos run at 30 fps or something - everything looks choppy in them... :thumbsup:

/Broken record

I'm aware and to be honest it's what I'm banking on, people who've tried it say that it's smooth as butter so fingers crossed, also, considering the amount of languages they're covering I suppose I can live with ****ty facial anims.

No, there are a lot of videos with noticeable slowdowns in action scenes, and none of the previews so far as hinted at someone running it at 60 fps without dips. Granted, honestly, considering how good it looks, not-optimal performance, as long as not bad, would be okay by me, but that's probably just because the original game makes me expect the worst.

Thanks for the writeup, sorophx.

You guys do realise that most online videos run at 30 fps or something - everything looks choppy in them... :blink:

No, there are a lot of videos with noticeable slowdowns in action scenes, and none of the previews so far as hinted at someone running it at 60 fps without dips. Granted, honestly, considering how good it looks, not-optimal performance, as long as not bad, would be okay by me, but that's probably just because the original game makes me expect the worst.

From the looks of it, Ripten's Dave Oshry said he was running the game at 45-55 fps at Ultra despite those settings not being finalized yet. For high, he said he ran at 60 fps. Of course, that may be due to his PC.

I hope it's optimized. /fingers crossed

Here's G4tv's preview. And here's the sixth developer diary "Combat" from Gamespot.

EDIT: Buck at GB has his preview up as well. Link

Edited by MechanicalLemon