The Witcher 2

But wasn't it the case that the said lady had hideously large mammaries because the dwarf was telling the story?

No, as the video here shows, the dwarf version of the story features a topless woman (the modified, more realistic version) while the Triss version features a male prisoner.

Anyway, here is what senior producer of The Witcher 2 Tom Gop had to say:

We wanted to show in a mature way that this woman is being tortured. But it’s true that the way you show it, some of the players will think ‘okay so there’s a naked woman, maybe there will be a sex scene.

Guys, this was not our intention. We’re gonna have to think about it, redo some graphics or redirect the scene. It’s not about that, let’s make it so players don’t want to have sex with her, they really feel for her.

While there is nothing wrong with the woman being topless, her being topless doesn't equal a mature depiction of events. There is a mission in Red Dead Redemption where you must rescue a kidnapped woman from a hanging. When you get to her, she's beaten and bruised and her clothes are torn, she's clearly suffered at the hands of her captors. Would it have added anything to the scene to have her breasts exposed? Other than exposed breasts I mean.

The way I see it, although the devs want to create a dark, gritty, mature world, they also want to make medieval James Bond and the depiction of sex in James Bond is not mature, it's adolescent power fantasy. But then the makers of the James Bond movies don't go on about what a mature film they are making.

Edited by Hell Kitty

But wasn't it the case that the said lady had hideously large mammaries because the dwarf was telling the story?

Stop confusing DA2 with TW2.

Just another sign of how creatively bankrupt Bioware is, they were actually ripping off Witcher 2 months in advance - they didn't even have the decency to wait for it to get released!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm not.

I know, I thought I was being witty.

While there is nothing wrong with the woman being topless, her being topless doesn't equal a mature depiction of events. There is a mission in Red Dead Redemption where you must rescue a kidnapped woman from a hanging. When you get to her, she's beaten and bruised and her clothes are torn, she's clearly suffered at the hands of her captors. Would it have added anything to the scene to have her breasts exposed? Other than exposed breasts I mean.

The way I see it, although the devs want to create a dark, gritty, mature world, they also want to make medieval James Bond and the depiction of sex in James Bond is not mature, it's adolescent power fantasy. But then the makers of the James Bond movies don't go on about what a mature film they are making.

Uh, judging from that scene, the guy likely intended to brand the woman with a glowing metal... thing. Clothes would get in the way and get set on fire.

Nah, that bit was added after, probably as a shout-out to Dragon Age 2, whose framed narrative had just been announced. It also showed that CD Projekt acknowledged the reaction of its fans and was going to react to it. Initially, that scene was totally serious.

The nudity doesn't add maturity, but it makes sense in context. To contrast with your example, she was being tortured, and iron-branding and whipping are more 'efficient' on naked skin.

Just another sign of how creatively bankrupt Bioware is, they were actually ripping off Witcher 2 months in advance - they didn't even have the decency to wait for it to get released!

No, the bit we're talking about came out soon after Bioware announced the framed narrative of DA2, and I think it was created as a reaction to DA2. It was just a piece of advertisement after all.

The nudity doesn't add maturity, but it makes sense in context. To contrast with your example, she was being tortured, and iron-branding and whipping are more 'efficient' on naked skin.

If her being tortured in this way is of some relevance, perhaps. Of course you may have noticed the male prisoner in the Triss version of the story has also been whipped (and seems to be in worse shape than the woman, he can't walk without Geralt's aid), yet he still has a shirt on.

Of course you may have noticed the male prisoner in the Triss version of the story has also been whipped (and seems to be in worse shape than the woman, he can't walk without Geralt's aid), yet he still has a shirt on.

I have set myself on a media blackout about The Witcher 2 for a long time, so I don't think I ever saw the video you're talking about. Sorry!

No, the bit we're talking about came out soon after Bioware announced the framed narrative of DA2, and I think it was created as a reaction to DA2. It was just a piece of advertisement after all.

And I was just trying to psych myself into the proper Witcher fan mood. :thumbsup:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Of course you may have noticed the male prisoner in the Triss version of the story has also been whipped (and seems to be in worse shape than the woman, he can't walk without Geralt's aid), yet he still has a shirt on.

I have set myself on a media blackout about The Witcher 2 for a long time, so I don't think I ever saw the video you're talking about. Sorry!

Heh, it's the first link in my reply to Tigranes. Both male and female victims have been whipped, the only way it makes sense in context for the female to be topless is if in the world of The Witcher dresses offer protection against whipping that shirts do not, despite the dress covering less skin than the shirt. Perhaps the dress is made from adamantium?

I had thought the dwarf was making that stuff up. Eh, not a huge deal really.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If her being tortured in this way is of some relevance, perhaps. Of course you may have noticed the male prisoner in the Triss version of the story has also been whipped (and seems to be in worse shape than the woman, he can't walk without Geralt's aid), yet he still has a shirt on.

Uh, judging from that scene, the guy likely intended to brand the woman with a glowing metal... thing. Clothes would get in the way and get set on fire.

Addendum: The oman seems to be a political prisoner, the man, not so much. Branding the woman on any easily visible location would ruin the results of her signing something.

Heh, it's the first link in my reply to Tigranes. Both male and female victims have been whipped, the only way it makes sense in context for the female to be topless is if in the world of The Witcher dresses offer protection against whipping that shirts do not, despite the dress covering less skin than the shirt. Perhaps the dress is made from adamantium?

Perhaps the woman intended to take advantage of the Theiss Titillation Theory for protection?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/prison-b...-witcher/705285 is great video.

Geralt is shirtless all the time in that video and is probably flogged way worse then male or the female prisoner. I really love the the jab at Bioware too - "we have TWO unreliable narrators" o:)

I like how the guy shouts for the guards and then gets beaten up. :sorcerer:

Also, boobies, hence day 1 purchase.

i can't believe how much people talk about the fact that there is nudity in the game. is it REALLY that important either way. no. it should be a non-issue.

The only time nudity in film seems to get mentioned is if its male nudity (eastern promises), or if the naked person has three boobs (total recall). Why do people care so much about it in games?

what it should be:

"I saw a boob!!!"

"who cares."

what it is:

"I saw a boob!!!"

"Oh my god, someone call the president!!!"

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Video and computer games are still largely considered the province of children. So nudity does get taken note of more than in movies. Unless its an animated movie, then you see a similar response.

I like to think the preconception is going away, but I'm not in a good position to get objective data on that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

well i dont know any children so I don't know how much they game. i thought kids these days were all about angry birds and iphones and then once they turn 12 the only thing they want is madden and call of duty.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I should've stuck with Shani in my last Witcher playthrough just to spite CD Projekt with their "tasteful romance" BS. Besides, a playthrough with a butthurt sorceress at Geralt's side should be fun.

Triss is leading Geralt on anyway. I hope another miracle happens and Yennefer returns from the dead.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Suckers

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It is moranic censorship like this that makes me feel like buying 'mature' games like W2 just out of sipte for such punks like this who do their best to intervere in others' personal chocies that effect nobody but themselves. :x

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sex as a reward is a no go in Australia?

How does Bioware even get their games released there?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

*shrug* I don't see a huge problem with it. Of course censorship should ideally be more consistent across violence/sex, etc, acknowledge a R category instead of just cutting crap out, etc., but on the flipside it's kind of silly to complain about this because as much as I'm excited about getting TW2 I find all the sex stuff meh. If it's not as in your face as the marketing was, great. I couldn't care one iota less if you couldn't see any nekkid action, the 'mature' argument is a strawman because you don't need boobs to be mature.

Now, trying to ban Risen in Australia because of, I don't even remember what? That was retarded.

Now, trying to ban Risen in Australia because of, I don't even remember what? That was retarded.

?

"I don't remember why it's retarded, but it totally is."

Sex as a reward is a no go in Australia?

I don't think it's sex so much as prositution. Prostitution and drug use being shown in a positive light or some such nonsense. It's why Fallout 3 renamed morphine, because showing a real world drug having a positive effect (healing you) is bad, if the drug has a fictional name it's apparently okay.

Also, this only applies to gaming.