The Witcher 2

"In other news, lobster is better than grapes."

Please don't cheat the system. Very rude.

Let's be clear about one thing - lobster, by its very nature, is absolutely disgusting!

;)

Sorry.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Oh yeah from what i heard that witcher 2 won't have any major system hindering drms at all....Whoa by then it would be really kewl to have on copy and be able to install it on to friends pcs and other things o.o;; That one is the first step of non drm style though...

Aweshum right?

Oh yeah from what i heard that witcher 2 won't have any major system hindering drms at all....Whoa by then it would be really kewl to have on copy and be able to install it on to friends pcs and other things o.o;; That one is the first step of non drm style though...

Aweshum right?

???

NOt certain what you are saying...but I'm glad that I'll at least be able to INSTALL it on my PC (Legit copies of game with DRM don't install since my gaming rig is normally NOT connected to the internet...so me is happy that I can actually have a PC game that will install).

Aweshum right?

Well if you buy at gog.com it won't have any drm at all. :)

1.13 killed off Ja2.

A VERY favorable preview from Destructoid. There are some minor spoilers about the beginning of the game. A few snippets:

If you were one of those people that complained about Game X and said "I'll wait for Witcher 2 instead," then congratulations: you were right.

This makes me so giddy. HYPE!

Instead of having a tiresome chain of events explained to you, the game expects you to figure out what exactly is going on by just dealing with present events and by paying attention to key characters that shed light on the situation at hand. It's a refreshing take on the old narrative structure we've grown accustomed to in RPGs, for sure.

Overall, my 7 hours or so with The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings left me very impressed. Again, I didn't play The Witcher as much as I would've liked, but the difference between the two games feels like the difference between Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Everything from the gameplay to the consistently high quality of cutscenes and the voice acting just feels like a labor of love by CD Projekt RED.

I looked back on my experience with Dragon Age II afterwards, and BioWare's fantasy RPG now feels like it's in almost every way a mere toddler in the shadow of The Witcher 2. That's not to say DA II sucked, but a single village in The Witcher 2 already has more personality than all of Kirkwall. Moreover, the politics now run deep without treating you like a child for once. Characters feel human and treat you like an adult, the player is expected to deal with temporal jumps in narrative to keep up with the story, choices actually carry weight, and oh my god the breast textures!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's low fantasy, no ? Combat looks decent, on paper at least. Lack of manual save is a bit strange.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, I'd say that there's a bit too much 'deciding the fate of kingdoms' and such to call TW "low fantasy." It's the flavor of high fantasy that sells itself as "gritty" and "dark" (read: castles have privies and people swear a lot) rather than "epic" and "heroic," but you're still slaying dragons and rescuing princesses. (You just get to see their **** afterwards.)

Whoops, yeah I'm wrong about that. Well at least I think I am, never really remember the difference, heh.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's low fantasy, no ? Combat looks decent, on paper at least. Lack of manual save is a bit strange.

There is manual save. In one of first previews on recent press-build some Polish journalist first claimed that there is only autosave, then he corrected himself that he didn't read thoroughly key bindings he got with preview build (sic!) and with F5 (or F6) you could quicksave anytime you want. Plus, I think devs said there will be normal, manual save through the menu, too.

Minimalist UI is good, less things invading the screen that way, hard to pull off though. But it's not like TW had a really complicated UI, and now with the removing of the group stance and the general change in gameplay that makes less use of hotkeys (best example : the spells and the bombs), they could gain some room.
I was worried about that; Seems the worries were founded. :)

The game looks (visually) fantastic, but it looks like they've changed the gameplay away from the original. :)

I think it was the first game's quicksave feature that didn't distinguish between quicksaves and regular saves and used a new slot every time? Swamped my SSD full of hundreds of saved games. :)

Yup. And not only quicksaves, autosaves too. Even after the latest patch their size was a bit large, e.g. 15MB per save. I finished up with manually controlling number of saves, deleting the oldest ones from disk, and yet at the end game I had over 200MB save files. Wonder it they changed this behaviour in TW2.

Pfff, I have had 2+GB of Deus Ex saves. THEY were large...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Pfff, I have had 2+GB of Deus Ex saves. THEY were large...

Since we started to compare "who's got bigger one" (:lol:) I'll say that I've read some people complaining their Witcher saves were around 4 to 5 GB (that's a bit extreme for me, looks like someone was spamming quicksaves like there was no tomorrow). As for DX I can't say much, because I played it a very long time ago and don't remember much of it's save sizes. Maybe I should get back to it and actually finish the game this time.