Is the PC version of DS3 going to be a console port?

The head of Obsidian said that PC games weren't worth investing in anymore and the impressions on Rockpapershotgun said that it plays like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance now. So does th at mean we're going to get another alpha protocol like port dropped on us then forgotten?

The head of Obsidian said that PC games weren't worth investing in anymore and the impressions on Rockpapershotgun said that it plays like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance now. So does th at mean we're going to get another alpha protocol like port dropped on us then forgotten?

It seems they have been working on play with a controller first before working on keyboard and mouse from what I understand. That being said, I've also read that they aim to make the gameplay for keyboard and mouse as seamless and fluid as it will be for a controller (you can use your Xbox controller on your PC and run it fine that way instead if you like as far as I know... Also, that's how you will be able to get another player to play using the same computer). As far as the game being like Baldur's Gate, many of the people working on this game did work on Baldur's Gate and Champions of Norrath, or so I've read... To me, this is a really good thing. =)

Edited by hopfrog16

(1) Feargus never said PC games aren't worth investing in anymore. What Obsidian are clearly doing is trying to expand the range of games they make and the range of platforms they deliver on.

(2) Alpha Protocol's problems weren't so much due to porting, it was due to the game getting a bad reception and SEGA pulling the plug on future support.

(3) Some usual good-things-for-PC-players have been mentioned, such as a properly designed mouse/keyboard control and higher graphics options for PCs. I suspect the interface will be rather 'consolish' though.

(1) Feargus never said PC games aren't worth investing in anymore. What Obsidian are clearly doing is trying to expand the range of games they make and the range of platforms they deliver on.

(2) Alpha Protocol's problems weren't so much due to porting, it was due to the game getting a bad reception and SEGA pulling the plug on future support.

(3) Some usual good-things-for-PC-players have been mentioned, such as a properly designed mouse/keyboard control and higher graphics options for PCs. I suspect the interface will be rather 'consolish' though.

Consolish meaning what in this instance? Limited screen cusomisation, limited shortcuts, minimal info ...? Why not aim for more usability?

There's already the issue that the controls are going to be twitch based e.g. hold left on the left left joytick and press the XYZ combo to block then charge the enemy or whatever the shield block quote eons ago was all about. How that translates to M&K I've no idea.

"Press START to play!"

There is no ****ing start button on my keyboard.

It could be the Windows button between CTRL and ALT that ironically throws you back to desktop when you press it in-game.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

• 1 month later...
I'm expecting some level of modding to be required to bring it up to PC gaming standards, like most other Obsidian games.

I hope a good modder makes this. All I have seen of Dungeon Siege 3 until now is much too consolish. In this Interview Nathanial Chapman gave, you can see many Gameplay Scenes that just look like a pure Console Game. Interview Dungeon Siege 3

Will Obsidian update the Interface for PC Gamers in the future? It would be great! :sorcerer:

I'm expecting some level of modding to be required to bring it up to PC gaming standards, like most other Obsidian games.

I hope a good modder makes this. All I have seen of Dungeon Siege 3 until now is much too consolish. In this Interview Nathanial Chapman gave, you can see many Gameplay Scenes that just look like a pure Console Game. Interview Dungeon Siege 3

Will Obsidian update the Interface for PC Gamers in the future? It would be great! :sorcerer:

Nah. Yes, I agree that the interface is pretty consolish but it is very functional and I actually prefer what we've seen so far. (I'm really not a fan of inventory tetris)

Apart from that though the big problem I see in it still are "just" the controls. For example why can't the symbols around the charachters portrait not be used as a hotbar? It would easily lend itself to it. Switch with a keyboard button stances. Use skill icons to use skills, use orb icons and then click on the skill or enemy to use the special attack associated with it. As of now it looks like the Keyboard/Mouse scheme is way more complicated than it has to be.

Edited by C2B

Nah. Yes, I agree that the interface is pretty consolish but it is very functional and I actually prefer what we've seen so far. (I'm really not a fan of inventory tetris)

Apart from that though the big problem I see in it still are "just" the controls. For example why can't the symbols around the charachters portrait not be used as a hotbar? It would easily lend itself to it. Switch with a keyboard button stances. Use skill icons to use skills, use orb icons and then click on the skill or enemy to use the special attack associated with it. As of now it looks like the Keyboard/Mouse scheme is way more complicated than it has to be.

You're right it's not that easy to play with Keyboard/Mouse than to play with a xbox320 pad. But if there is the possibility to change the button mapping, the Keyboard/Mouse Player will have more control-power than the pad Player. The difference is not that big like in Shooters, but the result is the same. You can point much faster & more accurate with a Mouse. It even allows you in some Games to use strategies you coult never do with a pad.

But I love pads too in some cases like on snes Games like Terranigma, Super Metroid etc... ;-).

Edited by stunner

Wouldn't that control scheme be too slow and really annoying, given the game's genre and gameplay? The player needs to activate his special powers almost immediately.

Wouldn't that control scheme be too slow and really annoying, given the game's genre and gameplay? The player needs to activate his special powers almost immediately.

With WASD and I meant it more as a secondary option. Also since when is this slow and boring? I'm talking about using it as a hotbar replacement.

Edited by C2B

With WASD and I meant it more as a secondary option. Also since when is this slow and boring? I'm talking about using the UI as a hotbar replacement.

It's slower than simply tap a button to throw the attack, which is kind of a handicap for this game, and I didn't say 'boring', I said 'annoying', as in being forced to go the hotbar, then back to the enemy, way too often in a short period of time.

Unless you meant that we could have shortkeys for those abilities too. Which I think we will have anyway.

With WASD and I meant it more as a secondary option. Also since when is this slow and boring? I'm talking about using the UI as a hotbar replacement.

It's slower than simply tap a button to throw the attack, which is kind of a handicap for this game, and I didn't say 'boring', I said 'annoying', as in being forced to go the hotbar, then back to the enemy, way too often in a short period of time.

I... think we're not talking about the same thing here. Or we don't have the same impression about combat. Because in the scenario I meant this isn't necessary.