Character reveal trailer

Read your own post again and think about what is stereotypicaly attractive to women.... Essentialy the same thing, at least visually. (Well, except Epic Style Fat Space Marines)

Man in bigger and bigger plate armors that cover everything while looking ridiculous are attractive to women? That's news for me. :p

Well thanks for taking things out of context. I wasn't talking about Lucas and that is in no way the majority of male charachters in video games.

Also, it does if the armor is "shaped" a certain way.

Well, a couple of things you did wrong here. First equaling the exaggerations of men and women in games. Men in games are shown to be physical specimens, which makes a lot of sense with most of the activities they are participating in. Would you expect Nathan Drake to be able to jump from cliff to cliff with a gut? Would you expect Kratos, a man that shoves a hydra through a ship mast, to be a ninety pound weakling? Now, what does Ivy's attire and DD's do for her fighting style?

Distract male opponents in a fight? Allow her to spend more money on training by cutting down on fabric to make her outfits?

Or alternatively you could argue that its about challenging the societal norms of the time period (late 16th century); Ivy has lost her mother and father due to his obsession in finding the cursed sword; she finds out her real father is a pirate (a bit off societal conventions there) and turns to alchemy to create a weapon to try and destroy the Soul Calibur sword (briefly putting herself under the sway of Nightmare - could he have turned her to the outfit since he originally controlled the spirit of her sword?) so she's pretty much bucking western tradition of the period - why not translate that into the costume as well?

(You could, BTW, say the same thing for all of the Soul Calibur women, pretty much, in terms of dress. Its all pretty much silly.)

Re: Kratos - do only 90 pound weaklings put on a shirt? Or at least a toga covering half their chest? One can argue that Kratos is exploitative in that sense - after all women's desire to see men's well built torso is the long standing rationale for why so many male western character from the late 50s and 60s ended up shirtless, tied down on burning sand (or other traps) by outlaws (see many, many episodes of The Wild Wild West, Cheyenne, The Rifleman, etc).

Mind you God of War is probably worse about the female characters than most other games, so probably no point going there anyhow.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Now, what does Ivy's attire and DD's do for her fighting style?

Ivy's attire is not only ridiculous, but I'm not even sure it's actually wearable. What Katarina has showed until now is realistic, as in "actually exists".

And you just reminded me of Taki's jiggle physics from Soul Calibur 2. Thank you for nothing sir, as those were utterly disgusting.

Ivy's attire is not only ridiculous, but I'm not even sure it's actually wearable. What Katarina has showed until now is realistic, as in "actually exists".

And you just reminded me of Taki's jiggle physics from Soul Calibur 2. Thank you for nothing sir, as those were utterly disgusting.

Yep. Pretty much. Soul Calibur got worse with every new installment and its extremly visible. Though I wouldn't call Katarinas outfit "realistic". In context.

So now that was really my last post for today. Night^^.

Edited by C2B

@C2B

Wow, figure that out on your own? Hmm, I guess the art of sarcasm is not lost on you after all. I'll give you some time to think about it, but if you need me to spell it ALL out for you, I will.

@Amentep

I won't address the first two point because of the ridiculousness of them, but the next holds some weight. I would say that all the facts you stated is enough of a buck on societal norms of the time. Why not translate that into her outfit, because now instead of a strong female character, she is reduced to adolescent fanservice.

As for Kratos, he is the exception to the rule. How many male characters you see showing off more than a little bit of arm? How many times do you see a special ops squad armored, and the female member has her midriff showing or her top zipped down? But this kind of illustrates the problem here, you are calling for Kratos to cover up while defending Ivy's outfit. Hmmm.

@C2B

Wow, figure that out on your own? Hmm, I guess the art of sarcasm is not lost on you after all. I'll give you some time to think about it, but if you need me to spell it ALL out for you, I will.

.... Well I'm still awake

You are REALLY bad at sarcasm. Direct approach, no irony thrown in. Nah.

Also acting like a ****. Nice one dude. Your moral highground is reaching the stars.

And no you don't. I would just make excuses for the excuse again, don't I?

Edited by C2B

As for Kratos, he is the exception to the rule. How many male characters you see showing off more than a little bit of arm? How many times do you see a special ops squad armored, and the female member has her midriff showing or her top zipped down?

I know that the Prince in the Sands of Time ended up bare-chested near the end of the game. After having his shirt slowly destroyed during the course of the game. I think he loses the right sleeve about five minutes into the game.

What you're talking about is the very best example of the 'chainmail bikini', male and female characters doing the exact same job with the exact same weapons and protection, but yet the woman shows a lot of skin while the men is perfectly covered. That's not a problem in DS3, since Katarina's outfit isn't meant for defense, and you will never see her with Lucas' or Anjali's armor.

Jiggle physics killed my father and raped my mother.

Jiggle physics aren't bad, but Taki just went too far :p .

Edited by Sannom

To be honest I don't understand what the big deal is... Sex sells, and as long as the target audience for games are males, games will have big boobs and metal bikinis. Complaining about it won't change that fact. At least this game has the class to allow people to choose between a more and less covered heroine. Half of the games out there don't even have that...

That being said, my last ex always seemed to choose the sexy type of characters when I would play games with her. There are women out there that like playing sexy heroines. =P

Edited by hopfrog16

@C2B

Wow, I didn't know the sole definition of sarcasm was irony, thanks for the enlightenment. Anyway, since your excuse for everything was "It's ok if it's exaggeration," I thought I would add that to the definition. However, I need some clarification, does it just apply to women, or is it extended to minorities and homosexuals as well? Also, attacking someone for calling out these things, as opposed to going along with by saying "That's how things are in the videogames business world," classy man.

@Sannom

I haven't had a chance to play the first one yet, but by 2 and 3 he stayed covered the entire time. And I bet it was no where near the level of disintegrating clothing as Aya has to face in the new Parasite Eve.

Jiggle physics aren't bad, but Taki just went too far .

Hey, I'm not really disagreeing. In fact, I'm with the camp who'd rather not see it in DS3 but... This is just one of those discussions that's been around for such a long time, can't take it seriously anymore. :)

That being said, my last ex always seemed to choose the sexy type of characters when I would play games with her. There are women out there that like playing sexy heroines. =P

I have a female friend who's like that as well, always likes the sexy characters unless they're *really* overdone (Ivy was mentioned earlier for example).

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

@Amentep

I won't address the first two point because of the ridiculousness of them, but the next holds some weight. I would say that all the facts you stated is enough of a buck on societal norms of the time. Why not translate that into her outfit, because now instead of a strong female character, she is reduced to adolescent fanservice.

As for Kratos, he is the exception to the rule. How many male characters you see showing off more than a little bit of arm? How many times do you see a special ops squad armored, and the female member has her midriff showing or her top zipped down? But this kind of illustrates the problem here, you are calling for Kratos to cover up while defending Ivy's outfit. Hmmm.

The first two points were intended to be silly and I won't argue otherwise!

To tell the truth the third I think that the third was actually the intention - for example Sophitia's outfit doesn't fit the time period either (hearkening back to classical Greece) but is supposed to represent the character; in that sense I understand why Ivy's outfit is the way it is, although I also understand that sometimes its possible to undercut a character by how you design them; as Ivy's outfit has gotten skimpier, its been a bit harder to take the character as something other than fan-service. (That said her alternate costumes that look based on Victorian-era dresses wouldn't work for combat either...)

I'm not really calling for Kratos to cover up, either, sorry if that seemed to be my intent but instead it was to suggest that one could argue that Kratos' design could be seen as potential fan-service for women (or gay men or both) since the design divorces itself so heavily from the period (although you could argue that since its not completely inconsistent with the period like Ivy's that its not done with a thought to sex/sex roles as well).

Oddly enough my biggest problem with Katrina's design (and coincidentally Ivy's design - or at least her initial design) has nothing to do with how much skin she's showing but that' she's fighting/wandering the countryside like Kane in Kung Fu while in heels...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

@C2B

Wow, I didn't know the sole definition of sarcasm was irony, thanks for the enlightenment. Anyway, since your excuse for everything was "It's ok if it's exaggeration," I thought I would add that to the definition. However, I need some clarification, does it just apply to women, or is it extended to minorities and homosexuals as well? Also, attacking someone for calling out these things, as opposed to going along with by saying "That's how things are in the videogames business world," classy man.

You are REALLY bad at sarcasm. Direct approach, no irony thrown in. Nah.
Wow you got me. Its not like I have specified irony as seperate from sarcasm, no sir.

2. Yeah, nice try on misquoting me. Well I'll just copy paste

- Actual representation of a charachter in media is more important than how he is described visually

- Exagerration is ok if used dominantly and well in a game. (We'll see about that)

- The charachters choice in clothes has to be reletable in personality as well as mannerisms of the charachter (We'll see about that, too)

But yeah, apparently all of my personal rules bend down to "It's ok if its exaggeration". The world can only be viewed in black and white.

3. There is a middleground between going along and going against. You know I'm from Switzerland (Neutrality, bitches) and I believe in the concept that there are always two sides to a medal and they are both worth examing to find a preferable solution without going to extremes. Yes, thats what makes me classy. :)

And its extended to everything to answer your question. Naturally it still has to relate somewhat to the situation/charachter at hand. Which is one of my points in 2.

Edited by C2B

Shouldn't you be in bed, C2B? One or two more posts and you will fit that infamous pic of "Aren't you coming to bed? I can't, this is important!" :) Not to be mean or anything :) !

I'm not really calling for Kratos to cover up, either, sorry if that seemed to be my intent but instead it was to suggest that one could argue that Kratos' design could be seen as potential fan-service for women (or gay men or both) since the design divorces itself so heavily from the period (although you could argue that since its not completely inconsistent with the period like Ivy's that its not done with a thought to sex/sex roles as well).

Doesn't Kratos' face, always disfigured by a snarl and an angry expression, offsets any of the charms he could have had normally?

Oddly enough my biggest problem with Katrina's design (and coincidentally Ivy's design - or at least her initial design) has nothing to do with how much skin she's showing but that' she's fighting/wandering the countryside like Kane in Kung Fu while in heels...

I don't think it's odd, it just shows that everyone agree that it is ridiculous : nobody's talking or aguing about it! It's the only part of her design that is very impractical, everyone can see it!

Shouldn't you be in bed, C2B? One or two more posts and you will fit that infamous pic of "Aren't you coming to bed? I can't, this is important!" :) Not to be mean or anything :) !

Story of my life

Also Story of dozens of falied exams. Damnit. :)

Anyway, this time for reelz. Done.

Also sorry @Westerngamer my posts are probably too aggressive at the moment.

Yep. Pretty much. Soul Calibur got worse with every new installment and its extremly visible. Though I wouldn't call Katarinas outfit "realistic". In context.

So now that was really my last post for today. Night^^.

Now that the flames have cooled for the day :) If the image I just saw was any indication I'd have to agree. Cat's attire looked to be akin to mini Xena on the top. Anyone heard of the word modesty? Sure it has (adolosecent) sex appeal but it's not exactly wearable in cold weather. What's wrong with neck to navel attire, or something giving more protection - I'm thinking DS1 style ranged armour. Better yet how about something cold weather puritan style -_-

Now that the flames have cooled for the day :) If the image I just saw was any indication I'd have to agree. Cat's attire looked to be akin to mini Xena on the top. Anyone heard of the word modesty? Sure it has (adolosecent) sex appeal but it's not exactly wearable in cold weather. What's wrong with neck to navel attire, or something giving more protection - I'm thinking DS1 style ranged armour. Better yet how about something cold weather puritan style -_-

The assassin chick in the DS2 expansion (Rissa, or something) wore a similar outfit, IIRC. Something with a suitably epic cleavage. So imo it's not that far of a departure.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I haven't had a chance to play the first one yet, but by 2 and 3 he stayed covered the entire time. And I bet it was no where near the level of disintegrating clothing as Aya has to face in the new Parasite Eve.

Well, seek out the box art for the game, he's shown in the state he is at the end, when his shirt has been ripped entirely.

Well, you never know if one of her costumes/armour covers her up more or not. I mean there's probably at least one that covers her up a bit more.

There are at least two, if the trailer is to be believed. They're both shown for a split second at the very end of the video. One looks like some sort of chainmail.

Guys guys guys, everybody likes boobs, guys like boobs, girls like boobs, there have been studies shown that staring at boobs as opposed to looking away actually makes you a healthier person. So let's get over it... no one wants to play with realistic people, unless the game is specifically supposed to be real every character is usually exadurated in different ways. It's what makes characters intresting. If you got a problem with jiggle physics objectifying woman, you are really looking waay to far into a video game!