Dave Grohl strikes epic blow for taste...

Monte Carlo

For many rock fans of a certain age Dave Grohl is a saintly, almost god-like uber-being of cool. I am one of those rock fans. I am a Dave Fan Boy. I harbour feelings for Dave akin to those Duck and Cover forumites have for Fallout. :: sigh ::

So not only did Dave play the drums in Nirvana, spot that Courtney Love was a wrong 'un, found the rock band I listen to virtually every day and appear in a couple of Tenacious D videos... he's also poured a big icy pitcher of STFU for the person who inflicted Glee on the world. Before you read more about the awesomeness of Dave let me pontificate on Glee.

I have nothing, per se, against cheery kids performing cheesy covers of famous songs on a primetime music slot. I am also ambivalent about relentlessly optimistic crap American TV (I lived through the Fame years, ladies). But what really boils my piss is the idea that 'Glee Clubs' are in some way heralding a cultural renaissance on a par with the invention of stringed instruments. Wagner, to my knowledge, never attended a Teutonic Glee club. Elvis Presley was never required to squeak someone elses tunes in harmony after maths class (NO HE WAS TOO BUSY INVENTING ROCK AND ROLL). Dave Grohl never needed to wear a silly sweatshirt and caper about in order to write The Best of You.

So, this thread is all about agreeing with me and laying a small online token of respect to the avatar of utter Win that is Dave Grohl for taking the fight to Glee. A minor shout-out also goes to the Kings of Leon who also fought this cacophonic audio menace by forbidding the cast to mutilate "need somebody." Maybe one day, if they try really hard, they will be as cool as one of Dave's abandoned training shoes. Then again perhaps not.

I thank you all and goodnight.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I agree with you and lay a small online token of respect to the avatar of utter Win.

However, Foo Fighters? Pretty good. That's all.

I realise we must duel to the death now.

Personally I can't really get too much mad optimism. So I actually enjoyed the first couple of episodes of Glee, before it got stale.

However, I agree that glee clubs are not a cultural renaissance. ...Unless they've somehow found a way to stop teenagers pretending to be far more cynical than they've any right to be. In which case I will sponsor one. With a cricket bat and my free time.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't really understand. Dave Grohl told F.O. to some show called "Glee"? And what's this with calling a Glee club a cultural renaissance? Can someone tell me, in their own, words what Glee is about and why it has been considered a cultural renaissance?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

My singing teacher did say that a lot of schools in teh UK now have glee clubs.

But then many British highs schools now have 'prom', and if that isn't a sign of impending doom then I don't know what is.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't really understand. Dave Grohl told F.O. to some show called "Glee"? And what's this with calling a Glee club a cultural renaissance? Can someone tell me, in their own, words what Glee is about and why it has been considered a cultural renaissance?

When KoL and Dave told this guy to get lost he accused them of not caring about music or musical education or kids. And stuff. Like Glee was the primary reason why kids might like music. Kids like music because music is great in of itself. You don't have to be musical to dig it, that's one of the reasons it's so amazing. He just had this sense of self-entitlement about other people's songs, like everybody would of course bow down and let their stuff be performed on his show. No problem with people who do let their stuff get used, I respect that completely but I also respect the opposite view too.

Especially when the divine wisdom of Dave is invoked, stamping a premium seal of complete Common Sense on the deal.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Glee is reason enough to become Pope, just so you could condemn it.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Wonder why people take entertainment as absolute instead of it's intended face value. Glee it's a good show, the Foo Fighters are a good band and they had a disagreement with the creator. Why make more of this?

Seems like a majority of you were waiting for a chance to slam Glee down. :shifty:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I haven't seen glee but it seems like it is just a musical version of the standard heavily stereotyped highschool.

That said, I do think that Grohl and the others who refused do have a right to fire back at the guy. Being accused of not caring about kids/the future because you decided not to appear on a show isn't exactly cool.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah, but why fire back at the show instead of the tool who insulted. Rememebr, when these guys refuse the show they also feel the ened to jab at it with some superiority complex with the hint that anyone who lets Glee have their music is 'selling out'. That's pretty toolish.

As for Glee itself, it's a fun show but outside of the singing it's definitely just your typical highschool drama but with solid focus on the adults too. In fact, the main protaginist and main antagonist could be argued to be both adult characters.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not a big fan of Foo Fighters, but Glee deserves all the hate it can get.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Guest The Architect

Yeah, with his looks, voice, and charisma, they were practically throwing songs at him. He was very lucky to not need the writing talent it usually takes to become such a successful individual artist, although I believe it's fair game among avid music followers to criticise the talent of the leading individual artists the 21st century has had to offer, but back then, it was more about talent than how well you can market yourself to shallow teenage girls.

I don't think any individual artist can lay claim to having invented rock n roll, the closest to that right that I know of would be Chuck Berry, with his memorable electric guitar solos. ****ing love his music.

As for the Foo Fighters, I've only heard about half a dozen or so of their songs. I love Times Like These and The Pretender, but otherwise, the whole post-grunge, alternative rock genre is not something I've ever really been into.

Edited by The Architect

According to the greatest man who ever lived, the founder of rock and roll was

-Elwood Blues