Mass Effect 3

Gorth

The combat is described as "more dynamic", forcing players to move quickly. "Game rhythm" is 10-15 per cent faster.

Press A for awesome? :thumbsup:

Just kidding, if they get the movement little less clumsy from what it was is ME2, this might be a good thing. I just wonder how that heavy melee is going to fit in..

Normally, faster-"rhythm" games aren't my thing, but I rather enjoyed playing through ME2 with a Sentinel who gets all up-close and punchy. The "shield detonation" ability is fantastic in close quarters, especially when combined with a Shotgun as the later-game bonus weapon. Husk rushes still suck, though, when you're on a difficulty where husks get an armor bar.

I really, really don't like where they've taken the plot of the trilogy. It just seems that they never really extensively planned out the story arc beforehand and are scrambling to make something coherent, as the reapers, as they were introduced in the first game, were simply too powerful a foe to be plausibly defeated.

Bioware is true to the PnP RPG roots. They are like DM who'll make up things as adventure progress (because DM was lazy or didn't expect the campaign last) :thumbsup:

I'm expecting heavy retcons again. Just finished Infilrator back to back ME and ME2 run and gotta love how in-game heat sink clips are considered absolutely superior to the old system. I sure "loved" new 10 / 10 sniper rifle limitation... seriously, one shot drains whole heat sink clip vs. unlimited ammo from ME. Don't know what were they thinking. For other weapons enemies drop enough ammo (could also be tied to difficulty level, I played insanity).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I really, really don't like where they've taken the plot of the trilogy. It just seems that they never really extensively planned out the story arc beforehand and are scrambling to make something coherent, as the reapers, as they were introduced in the first game, were simply too powerful a foe to be plausibly defeated.

Took you this long to notice, huh?

It seemed pretty obvious to me when I was playing ME2.

While enjoyable it had "ME1? What's that?" written all over it :thumbsup:.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Bioware is true to the PnP RPG roots. They are like DM who'll make up things as adventure progress (because DM was lazy or didn't expect the campaign last) :thumbsup:

I'm expecting heavy retcons again. Just finished Infilrator back to back ME and ME2 run and gotta love how in-game heat sink clips are considered absolutely superior to the old system. I sure "loved" new 10 / 10 sniper rifle limitation... seriously, one shot drains whole heat sink clip vs. unlimited ammo from ME. Don't know what were they thinking. For other weapons enemies drop enough ammo (could also be tied to difficulty level, I played insanity).

Depends on the sniper rifle, but overall it's the same for ALL difficulty levels. I like the new clip system simply because I can reload when I want without having to pause in the middle of the action. On the otherhand in some instance infinate ammo would have been useful. I'd prefer something in between where you can shoot until the weapon overheats and then use a clip to reset it...but if you don't keep shooting till it overheats...it goes down and cools itself just like in ME1.

Logistically, the move to ammo just doesn't make any sense to me. How was it written off in the codex? Something about having more shots in the same time frame window?

I just don't believe that any army would ever switch back to an ammo system. Logistically, you now need more people to guard ammunition, you have to have more space for arms supplies, and your soldiers are burdened by carrying more weight. It just seems like way too much overhead.

Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.

It makes for better gameplay than the system in ME1 (at least Bio think so, and having cruised the game more than once with non-overheating weapons, I agree). No reason to bring in-universe explanations into it, they'll be unsatisfactory at any rate.

And even part of your in-universe easoning is mistaken, they didn't reintroduce ammo to the weapons, they reworked the heat dispersal system to use disposable heatsinks instead of the the continuous venting of ME1.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Essentially the same thing from a supply point of view, weapons don't work without external component. Wonder why the heat sinks weren't made to be resuable though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Essentially the same thing from a supply point of view, weapons don't work without external component.

Sure, apart from the "needing people to guard the ammo depot" part. Unless heat sinks get treated as ammo, even with possible plurality of use. :p

edit: look what you did now. You got me into this in-universe discussion that I already dismissed as pointless. :p

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Well you'll still need to guard the supply of heat sinks (mind you, you'd have ammo lumped together with all other supplies so not a dedicated overhead).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Logistically, the move to ammo just doesn't make any sense to me. How was it written off in the codex? Something about having more shots in the same time frame window?

I just don't believe that any army would ever switch back to an ammo system. Logistically, you now need more people to guard ammunition, you have to have more space for arms supplies, and your soldiers are burdened by carrying more weight. It just seems like way too much overhead.

Technically they never abandoned ammo, it was just reduced in size, with the acceleration from the Mass Effect drives it would punch through with the same kinetic force as a bullet. So even in ME1 you had ammo it was just minuscule. What they did in 2 was apparently they copied geth technology and created thermal clips to absorb the energy produced by the guns and avoid overheating the barrel.

Not sure if you have to guard it, although in case of emergency I supposed that it would be possible to switch to the old system.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I think the reasoning is pretty solid too. The more ammo you fire down range, the more things you can kill/blow up. Kind of sucks if you are shooting down range when suddenly the weapons overheat and you have to wait a minute for it to cool down whilst your enemy is still shooting you up (ME1 style) versus simply reloading which takes 3 seconds and continuing to lay down the heat (ME2).

Of course the best option would be a combination of the two, so even if you run out of clips...you still have a weapon.

I think the reasoning is pretty solid too. The more ammo you fire down range, the more things you can kill/blow up. Kind of sucks if you are shooting down range when suddenly the weapons overheat and you have to wait a minute for it to cool down whilst your enemy is still shooting you up (ME1 style) versus simply reloading which takes 3 seconds and continuing to lay down the heat (ME2).

Of course the best option would be a combination of the two, so even if you run out of clips...you still have a weapon.

What I really hate is how little stopping power guns have, aside from throwing a rocket at someone you are not going to get them staggered when they are in armor. Not a problem, unless you are playing at insanity with those crazy armors and getting swarmed every 5 secs.

Also only the vindicator and the collector's rifle shoot straight, everything else it's just spraying bullets about.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

The more ammo you fire down range, the more things you can kill/blow up.

Of course 200 bullets instead of 50 and then having to search for more ammo allows you to kill more, despite the reduced "speed" of murdering stuff.

Nope... doesn't look like an improvement to me.

In a war, would you rather rely on limited heatsinks (say, ammo in real life) or just have 100% ready to use weaponry if you just fire in bursts?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

In ME it was relatively easy to cool down guns faster then shooting could heat 'em. Even sniper rifles (as they fire rather slow anyway) with infiltrator class talents. This allowed player to choose if they go for more power or special ammo type or uninterrupted shooting. Personally I don't mind ammo management for pure gameplay reasons in ME2, but retcons always annoy me.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

It makes for better gameplay than the system in ME1 (at least Bio think so, and having cruised the game more than once with non-overheating weapons, I agree). No reason to bring in-universe explanations into it, they'll be unsatisfactory at any rate.

And even part of your in-universe easoning is mistaken, they didn't reintroduce ammo to the weapons, they reworked the heat dispersal system to use disposable heatsinks instead of the the continuous venting of ME1.

Oh, I have no arguments against it being better for gameplay. I'd just prefer Bio say that it is for a better game rather than come up with some BS in-universe answer and somehow manage to assume that, in the two years Shepard was dead, every outdated piece of weaponry in the galaxy has magically been replaced and scrapped.

As for guarding the precious heat sinks, I think it'd happen. Why can't there be a space equivalent of MOS 89B? There probably already is one and I imagine you just massively increased their work.

Edited by Ice9

Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.

All that overheating couldn't have been good for the gun barrels.

Space age metals that don't break?

village_idiot.gif