I haven't followed this game's development at all, but I am a big fan of the original Dungeon Siege.

What is DS3's basic combat mechanic? Is it click-to-attack like Diablo, or is it target selection followed by auto-attack like Dungeon Siege?

I have a strong preference for one over the other, but it will be easier to get a straight answer if I don't mention which I prefer.

Thanks.

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

It's more similar to something like the console Baldur's Gate games, if that's of any help.

No, that tells me nothing.

there's certainly no such thing as an auto-attack.

So the the characters don't ever just keep doing what you've told them to do without your continued input?

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

Like WUE said, we don't know how the control scheme works on PC. But it seems very doubtful that there'd be an auto-attack system (like NWN2 or what have you) given how based the game seems to be around action and movement. It will require you to be active from moment to moment, not a more tactical type of gameplay where you issue orders.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Like WUE said, we don't know how the control scheme works on PC. But it seems very doubtful that there'd be an auto-attack system (like NWN2 or what have you) given how based the game seems to be around action and movement. It will require you to be active from moment to moment, not a more tactical type of gameplay where you issue orders.

The original Dungeon Siege was far from tactical, but it was also not a Diablo-style click-fest.

I'd say Dungeon Siege's combat was mostly based around character-bulding (you'd design and equip the characters, and then they would fight based on that).

My biggest concern is I am praying that it is not required that you have a console-pad in order to play it on your PC. Much like the Publishers last PC game, Last Remnant. I'd hate this to be my first forced to play on a console game from Obsidian, due to lack of proper PC support. Give me a proper PC port, and I am however fine if they do have a console-pad option, for those PC players that like that kind of thing.

Just my .02

Edited by Jaesun

My biggest concern is I am praying that it is not required that you have a console-pad in order to play it on your PC.

I think it's confirmed that there would be a mouse/keyboard control scheme. How it will work is anyone's guess. I thought a straight-forward 'all mouse' system woild be enough, but there aren't enough button on a mouse to replicate the for-each-button-a-power design of the pad. So keyboard keys are necessary, and that doesn't mix well with targeting and moving with the mouse.

We will see I suppose.

My biggest concern is I am praying that it is not required that you have a console-pad in order to play it on your PC.

I think it's confirmed that there would be a mouse/keyboard control scheme. How it will work is anyone's guess. I thought a straight-forward 'all mouse' system woild be enough, but there aren't enough button on a mouse to replicate the for-each-button-a-power design of the pad. So keyboard keys are necessary, and that doesn't mix well with targeting and moving with the mouse.

We will see I suppose.

Forcing PC owners to play with a console controller would be the death knell for the game. That being the case I don't see it worth imagining that mouse\keyboard might be precluded. The real question is how it'd work given all the demos are using console controllers. Given how different they are I think there'd have to be different control approaches. Console allows constant direction\easy combos (perhaps Lucas' blocking?) whereas PC allows for precision control and mass shortcuts. Console may need target correction, PC wouldn't. Auto-attack ala DS1 would be good but that seems to be out. It'd probably take someone familar with console controllers in addition to mouse\keyboard to speculate how mapping might be possible and how much variation would be needed.

What?

Mouse / Keyboard is 100% confirmed. There is zero doubt on it whatsoever.

Game has been demoed on controllers because m/kb controls aren't finalised yet. Obsidian have said this again and again and again: M/KB is in, how exactly it works is not yet finished (or ready to be shown).

What?

Mouse / Keyboard is 100% confirmed. There is zero doubt on it whatsoever.

Game has been demoed on controllers because m/kb controls aren't finalised yet. Obsidian have said this again and again and again: M/KB is in, how exactly it works is not yet finished (or ready to be shown).

Ok thank you. I must have missed that.

i can assume the keyboard option will be kinda like marvel ultimated alliance. at least i really really hope there is no mouse pointed or cursor in the game. the consoles dont need it and i see no reason why the keyboard would. maybe it's just that the WASD keys move the character and other keys are for attacks. there is even no need for a mouse, if u ask me. maybe to rotate the camera but this is not a 3rd person game like AC or Fable. the camera looks static and automatic most of the time so i am not sure we will need a mouse.

if this becomes a point and click method i am not getting the game at all.

• 2 weeks later...
i can assume the keyboard option will be kinda like marvel ultimated alliance. at least i really really hope there is no mouse pointed or cursor in the game. the consoles dont need it and i see no reason why the keyboard would. maybe it's just that the WASD keys move the character and other keys are for attacks. there is even no need for a mouse, if u ask me. maybe to rotate the camera but this is not a 3rd person game like AC or Fable. the camera looks static and automatic most of the time so i am not sure we will need a mouse.

if this becomes a point and click method i am not getting the game at all.

The "Click-and-Watch" mechanic in the original Dungeon Siege is the best ARPG combat I've ever played.

Really? I thought it got incredibly boring. Interesting to see it worked for some people.

edit: though from memory, that was mainly due to the difficulty and the skills, etc. Click and Watch works fine in, say, BG2.

Really? I thought it got incredibly boring. Interesting to see it worked for some people.

edit: though from memory, that was mainly due to the difficulty and the skills, etc. Click and Watch works fine in, say, BG2.

Eh, personally I thought the single player in DS 1 and 2 wasn't that great at all... The multiplayer and active modding community was what made the game fun. =) Now that neither exists much anymore, it seems like it would be boring to play those old games again (unless you can talk friends into playing it with you, heh).

• 5 weeks later...
Eh, personally I thought the single player in DS 1 and 2 wasn't that great at all... The multiplayer and active modding community was what made the game fun. =) Now that neither exists much anymore, it seems like it would be boring to play those old games again (unless you can talk friends into playing it with you, heh).

I have DS 1 installed right now. It's a terrific game, and I play through it from time to time. I just wish there were more games like it.