Smartphones

Tigranes

OK, so clearly in my early 20s technology has already raced beyond me - :o I know pretty much nothing about smartphones.

I want to know whether I can buy one when I'm in the US next week (or import later on), then get a plan in NZ and use it there. From what I've read this is possible and commonly done if (a) the phone is 'unlocked' and (b) the phone is compatible with NZ's networks.

Obviously most of you won't really know/care about the NZ situation, but anyone willing to give me a quick lowdown for the ignorant on;

(1) Things to avoid when picking a smartphone, generally I've heard good things about Android phones

(2) How 'unlocked' works / what that means

(3) If you know, what could be bought in US then used in NZ

:sorcerer:

I also want to buy an Android smartphone. I want it to be bigger than Sony Ericsson X10 Mini, but smaller than the Iphone and equivalent. The same size as the phones used to be only a couple of years ago, why is that so difficult to find?

I have so far only found two phones that match my criteria:

Sony Ericsson X8

and

HTC Gratia

The Sony Ericsson X8 is very cheap, but apparently that is exactly how it feels too. Also, Sony Ericsson aren't exactly known for upgrading their existing phones OS swiftly.. or at all. I don't want to be stuck with Android 1.6!

The HTC Gratia has a crappy screen and is twice as expensive as the X8 with essentially the same hardware. Both phones are the right size for me, but both have serious flaws that make me not want them.

Anyone know of any other alternatives, upcoming or otherwise, that they can recommend to me?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guest Slinky

@ Tigranes: I just got my first smartphone few weeks ago, so I'm not a expert of the matter but I'll try to share some wisdom here.

1. There's not anything important to avoid as far as I know, but here's some pointers I noticed on android:

- Can be easily customized with loads of free aps from android market

- Touchscreen is great for everything else than writing, I got used to writing with it but a regular button keyboard would be much better and faster. And if you are planning about getting games/emulators for the phone, you really want to get a phone with a keyboard

- Android itself gets a major update maybe once a year, and it cant be updated unless the phone manufacturer release a official update. There are unofficial updates too, use at your own risk

2. I assume this "lock" means that the phone is locked for the subscription (is that the word for it?) it comes with and can't be used with any other subscription. There probably are ways to unlock a locked phone, but I recommend buying a unlocked phone without a subscription

3. Just get a subscription in NZ for the phone and you are all set. One with a fixed paid data transfer, unless you want to get huge bills for using internet with it.

I parlayed my contract so I got a 'ruggedized' simple phone instead of a smartphone, and tripled my minutes and texts. Because I use my mobile phone to phone on the move.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm too clumsy to buy a phone made out of glass. Also, I prefer the openness of Android to the closed arena of Itunes.

Why are there no medium sized Android phones available?!

well mine is encased in a hard plastic transparent shell. The 960x640 retina display still looks sick, it's got more than a quarter million apps available and if the closed nature bothers you then jailbreak it!

They do have this really large android phone here in the states, it's called the Droid X

I am neither interested in using my phone as a dress-up doll nor do I want a phone that relies on some shady third party application to unlock common features. I like lots of things about IOS and Iphone, but those two flaws are dealbreakers for me.

To be honest everything I've seen makes me prefer Android. I dislike what Apple does with its content and software (which is why I never got an iPod) and Android certainly seems to do most things the iPhone can.

I'm moving to the US/UK in September so I might get one then, but I was considering importing one for the gf. May still do so at some point. For myself the Galaxy II looks interesting - mainly I want something small with a few nice apps, web usage, and something that does things quick and fast.

Never been too fussed about mobile gaming though, I already play enough games and if I played them on the move I'd be gaming every moment I'm not doing something else.

I have the original Droid and it is awesome. It is rugged, has an actual keyboard, is fast, and has a ton of apps. So I would get the Motorola Droid 2 if I had the option right now.

Edited by Hurlshot

It seems pretty clear that Apple turn a lot of peopl off with their stentorian branding. But on balance my guess would be that they turn more people ON with the same process. And given their huge market share is it any wonder they don't change?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Do you think that's a word of mouth thing, or advertising lead?

-Elwood Blues

Android; root it and rom it. In terms of unlocking, for example, here's an easy method to dump an Evo (Sprint's showcase phone, which I can't imagine living without) onto Metro. From a software standpoint, its entirely possible, but you're mileage may vary based on what carrier you use. Additionally, many GSM phones can be moded to work on any carrier with appropriate bands, although performance is occasionally suboptimal. Its also possible to buy some phones (usually GSM) factory-unlocked, which basically means you grab a SIM and go.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I think their huge market share can be attributed to being the first to release a smartphone. If you look at the current trend, Android OS is pulling into the lead.

Well, they weren't the first to release a smartphone, so that's not it, either.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I think their huge market share can be attributed to being the first to release a smartphone. If you look at the current trend, Android OS is pulling into the lead.

Yeah I remember Blackberrys and Palm Treos, 2 years before the first iphone

Yeah I remember Blackberrys and Palm Treos, 2 years before the first iphone

And Windows mobile. If anything Apple was the (next to) last in the smart phone game, which could have advantages of its own.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

• 2 months later...

Well, since this weird bot..thingie revived this thread, I might as well ask:

Is anyone here using the Samsung Galaxy S 2? It's been getting rave reviews here in Sweden (calling it the best phone ever!), but almost none of them mention battery time. I'm also interested in how well it fits in a normal pocket. These are things that are difficult to review, of course, since everyone uses their phones differently.. But still, those factors are important to me.

It's like when you buy a new camera: if it's small enough to fit in your pocket, it will follow you everywhere. If it's not small enough, it will stay at home sometimes. If you've taken 9000 pictures in 2 years, you can be pretty sure that the camera was the right size for you.. Does it feel like a hassle to carry this thing around or does it follow you without you noticing it?

I've... touched one, and it pretty much looks and feels very similar to the final iterations of the Galaxy S, but leaner, slicker and faster. The tactile stuff is subjective but I really liked how slick it feels yet grips well - and it'll certainly fit better than the original S, being slightly thinner. That's all I can say though, as I've yet to own a smartphone myself.

I'm a dumbphone user and like it that way. Seriously considering a John's Phone.

:lol:

Hah! Love it! About goddamn time.

I'm actually going to mention this to my contract provider and see what they can do for me.

-Elwood Blues