Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

Regarding the random generation of dungeons, wasn't there something about the game keeping track of your progress & actions and taking those into account? The so-called "radiant story" and the radiant AI being linked to it, while radiant AI in Oblivion was purely scripted.

Anyway, it's safe to assume the main story will still make heavy use of scripted events and set encounters.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The radiant story, as far as we've heard, isn't really all that random. It's more of a light dose of randomisation to deal with dying NPCs, etc. Perhaps we'll see some randomised generic quests (go to X and kill Y) mixed in with handcrafted quests, but I don't see it making too much a difference.

The radiant story, as far as we've heard, isn't really all that random. It's more of a light dose of randomisation to deal with dying NPCs, etc. Perhaps we'll see some randomised generic quests (go to X and kill Y) mixed in with handcrafted quests, but I don't see it making too much a difference.

I tend to agree. My guess is its one of those PR things that sounds more interesting to talk about than it actually is in gameplay. ANy gameplay variations will most likely be extradorinarily minimal: maybe if your best skills are sword and armor you'll get sent to fight goblins in a mine, but if your best skills are marksman and sneak you'll be sent to a cavern filled with bandits or something.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

As far as I know there are are no randomly generated dungeons in Skyrim, in fact I'm pretty sure there's very little random generation of anything, non scripted enemies doesn't mean a billion dragons spawning all over the map and flying in random directions.

As for the Radiant Story thing, from what I can tell it's really straightforward, the game has some preset quest templates and assigns them to dungeons you've never visited, again, hardly random.

Edited by WDeranged

Daggerfall was a good game with a lot of randomly generated content. On the other hand, Morrowind had very few random elements.

I think that Bethesda is better in randomly generated content with added fun experiences (becoming a vampire or werewolf in Daggerfall) than in writing a proper and original story.

Daggerfall had something like 16000 villages, all almost identical. It got old, fast. If they had only made maybe 100 unique villages with side quests and real characters, the game would have been awesome. It's still awesome now, but it is sorely lacking in content, despite being the (probably) biggest game ever.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think a nice mix of hand-placed items, characters, locations combined with some random dynamic elements is generally the best course.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

200 hours of sidequests, dang.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

With that number, I wonder how they could keep variance... That said, I wouldn't mind moderate randomization since, TES series isn't story-focused, or, at least, through dialogues. However, I'd like the world to keep its integrity in terms of the atmosphere. In Oblivion, they ruined the believability of the world by the repetitive dungeon designs, NPC dialogues, and level-scaling. About the last one, at least, they are going to address the issue.

As for Skyrim, haven't been to there since Bloodmoon expansion. I don't think Bethesda goes for intense lore compared with the age of Rolston, who has a gene from detailed supplement in good old PnP era. However, better thing is it feels less generic compared with Oblivion yet traditional. Dragons seem to be more like that from Beowulf than from those American-comic like D&D colorful ones, for example. However, they shouldn't mass-produce dragons' like cliff racers. Fighting against dragons should feel epic

http://imgur.com/a/83k8f

Some new screenshots

Yay for heavy fog, that stuff is going to make the world feel sooo much bigger :blink:

*edit*

Btw, I've spend the last couple of days toying with the Morrowind Graphics & Sound Overhaul, very impressive, I was actually amazed at how close the mod selection is to my own, there's a few kinks they need to work out such as visible texture seams and missing files, I'll probably get around to playing it next year.

*moar edit*

New G4TV demo, shows off the interface...which looks great for consoles but it's going to suck balls on PC if they don't change it, also there's a Fable style breadcrumb trail spell.

On the other hand I think they just showed off a Dunmer trapped in a spider web, gravelly voices appear to be back, trap spells are looking good too.

Edited by WDeranged

And how many of these are taken 1:1 from the old games?

I think Morrowind had around 200 books, Oblivion only added 10 or so new ones.

So yeah, Kirkbride must've been busy.

14 voice actors TOTAL in Oblivion.

70 in Skyrim.

Even Bethesda learns eventually.

But will Sean Bean Wes Johnson be back?

If Wes Johnson isn't back, I will cry.

I'm a grotesque Wes Johnson fanboy.

it's not quite TES without him.

He's been in the ES world for a long time, since MW. Though I think some of the other MW veterans are still going, at least some were stil around in Oblivion, and I think a couple others in FO3.

Oblivion's male Argonian, female Argonian, female Dunmer, male Redguard & female Redguard go way back as well. I've heard some of them in New Vegas, even.

Edited by virumor

wasn't Lynda Carter the female nord voice in both MW and Oblivion?

I woder if she'll be back.

She's married to one of the owners of Zenimax so it's pretty likely.

lol. Yep, would have to agree there.