Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

looks better than both Oblivion and Skyrim.

Deeply tempted to install Morrowind again for the overhaul but I completed it only four months ago and I'm nuts deep in Fallout 3 right now, then it's on to New Vegas to mop up the DLC, I worry that I'll be burnt out on open worldy games by the time Skyrim gets here.

Morrowind Overhaul still has horrible low-poly meshes, much less detailed environments, horrible animation and in addition to that it also significantly alters the original art direction. You could argue that it looks better than unmodded Oblivion (which is an unfair comparison, but whatever), but not that it looks better than Skyrim.

Skyrim has significantly better art than every other Elder Scrolls game and a very solid art direction.. it also seems technically decent, so I don't really understand the complaints.

looks better than both Oblivion and Skyrim.

Damn, this looks really good. If I wouldn't find Morrowind so boring, I would reinstall it just to test the mod. But I find the game damn boring, so I will not.

looks really nice. Though, I don't have Oblivion anymore, so I most likely will never try it out as well.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

looks really nice. Though, I don't have Oblivion anymore, so I most likely will never try it out as well.

That does look awesome. I also like that it is part of the Elder Scrolls setting, unlike Nehrim.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It looks a lot more promising than I expected an ES game to be.

As they say, the proof is in the pudding, but maybe this is the time Bethie gets most of it right.

Still concerned about level scaling, which I really can't stand in any form, but it was better in FO3, so hopefull improvements in that area wil continue.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I really don't know. Looks to me like Oblivion with more action and better graphics. Especially the dragon part sounds really horrible to me, if they really can appear everywhere every time and this not limited. I see it in front of me already, you walk through te gameworld and have to fight dragons every 10 minutes, because fighting dragons is cool.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I really don't know. Looks to me like Oblivion with more action and better graphics. Especially the dragon part sounds really horrible to me, if they really can appear everywhere every time and this not limited. I see it in front of me already, you walk through te gameworld and have to fight dragons every 10 minutes, because fighting dragons is cool.

I'm going to go out on a limb and give credit to Bethesda for not being so dumb as to have dragons raining from the sky every time you turn a corner.

And probably I will regret doing so.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm going to go out on a limb and give credit to Bethesda for not being so dumb as to have dragons raining from the sky every time you turn a corner.

Weren't they supposed to only show up during main story events or something?

Weren't they supposed to only show up during main story events or something?

Listening to TH on the E3 video, I got the impression that while some dragon encounters will be part of the main quest line, dragons in general are unscripted events that fly about the world doing what they want and the player could encounter them roughly anywhere at any time.

*shrug*

Bethesda has made some questionable claims about its "unscripted" gameplay/AI stuff in the past so who knows really.

I'm just going with the general rule of thumb that not matter how cool or spectacular something is, endless repittion turns it boring, then annoying, then aggravating. So I'm assuming Bethie isn't going to go overboard on dragon encounters.

Edited by Slowtrain

I'm thinking the more "dragon shouts" you garner, the more dragons you might encounter as you become more powerful or maybe the dragons being drawn to you since you suck up their souls.

From that video, it seemed at least that using shouts was needed to defeat the dragons, this at least would make it more interesting that running around and tossing spells at them or just hacking away.

I just watched the HD video, I still think the LOD for the midground stuff looks really suspect in an Oblivion kind of way but actual gameplay looks quite solid

I'm not so worried about the amount of dragons, you can bet that no matter what Bethesda do; the first mods will be "Moar Dragons!" and "Less Dragons!"...the first mods after nude Khajiit shlong anyway -_-

*edit* Do you reckon Todd Howard is ever going to stop pointing to the tops of mountains? I reckon he's going to have "you can go there" on his tombstone.

Edited by WDeranged

Looks super similar to Oblivion in just about every way, though the weather effects and character models help make it look a lot more real. The only change that might have a significant gameplay impact that you can see there is the more dynamic use of 'hands', which looks cool. - still wondering how much it'll overcome the various flaws Oblivion was dragged down by.

Looks super similar to Oblivion in just about every way, though the weather effects and character models help make it look a lot more real. The only change that might have a significant gameplay impact that you can see there is the more dynamic use of 'hands', which looks cool. - still wondering how much it'll overcome the various flaws Oblivion was dragged down by.

Yeah I forgot to mention how much I love the snowstorm effect, I enjoyed getting lost in them on Solstheim, but I agree, mechanical and plot based derpery will make or break it for me.

What I'm interested in is

- if their new stat system is not broken this time

- if the leveling of the critters is limited drastically

- if there are less tedious and repetitive tasks (like closing the gates)

- if there is an interesting story.

If all those points are ok, then I will buy the game, otherwise, I'll either pass or wait for a big price reduction.

For the graphics, we all know that mods can correct that. For the other points, it will be harder to find something consistent.

Edited by Orchomene

I can't believe they're randomly generating everything instead of actually putting in the effort to actually design good encounters and they claim this is a feature rather than a lazy half assed job.

First todd says the dragons aren't scripted i.e. they're random and therefore run on the incredibly thick, stupid 'Radiant' AI. The best bosses I found in games are ones with an actual set pattern (albeit complicated) that you have to strategise against and defeat. The 'Radiant' Dragons are just dumb AI that happen to fly and breath fire.

Not only are we putting up with encounters and enemies being randomly generated but now the story is random as well- again it's called a feature and not a cop out for some reason. Seriously, randomly generating everything in the game is just going to produce a bland generic feeling. Especially when the AI and Beth's writing are both terrible.

*shrug* I think Beth is at its worse when it tries to force linear story lines and plots and character interactions. They don't do these things well.

The more random and dynamic Beth games are the better. Fo3 worked pretty well like that, although it was marred by a hideous man quest.

Oblivion failed miserably because the dynamic world was boring as ****, not because the writing sucked. The writing in Oblivion as probably better than FO3, but it was still god-awful and completely uncompelling.

The best thing about an open, dynamic, random world is that I can pretty much deal with as I want and not to jump through narrative hoops designed by inept writers. WHich is a lot more fun.