Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

F3 much more, with lots of adverts in DC subway stations and such.

It was only 1 station, but it was the main transfer hub downtown (and it was right around the release date). I rather liked that I was commuting by so many Fallout ads every day. I mean, I was as nervous as any around here that Bethesda would screw it all up and make Oblivion-with-Guns. But I like Fallout stuff, and the ads they came up with were pretty damn cool. Gamebryo-fugliness aside, art direction was the area where Fallout 3 was strongest.

As far as Licking the ***hole of the Sky, they've got a tougher row to hoe, as ads laden with Swords & Dragons just don't have the distinctive attention-grabbing potential that Fallout's core grim-nuclear-desolation-juxtaposed-with-50s-gee-whiz-optimism does.

whats not day one? the ad? what does that mean?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Day one = purchase on release day.

It does seem pretty random to mention that while quoting a huge ad though.

While using the Elder Scrolls logo as an avatar :-

Really though, I kind of understand, every game I've pre-ordered in the last year has been a pain in the arse, things will improve a bit now I've gone back to Nvidia but regardless I think PC gamers are being increasingly shafted by quality control.

Yeah, I'm sure Codename Kingdoms will be the RPG of the decade. Just the name alone is brilliant!

It's not the final name, genius.

But you're right, Skyrim will be the RPG of the decade.

Yes, that was dense of me. There is an actual game called Codename: Panzers, hence my confusion.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Day one = purchase on release day.

It does seem pretty random to mention that while quoting a huge ad though.

While using the Elder Scrolls logo as an avatar :lol:

I could easily use an L.A. Noire avatar, doesn't mean I'll ever play the game though (no console).

woooooooooliiiiiieeeeeeesssssss

or is it woooooooolllllyyyyyysssss?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I would look at that screenie and think it was an Oblivion mod.

WHich doesn't mean much, I guess, other than modders are pretty talented and Skyrim still looks more or less like Oblivion.

WHich is fine. As long as it doesn't play too much like Oblivion. That's what counts.

edit: I do like the mammoths though. Hopefully they are generally peaceful and don't constantly attack and become as annoying as clifffracers.

ALthough they look a little small relative to the figure. Perhaps they are juveniles?

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

ALthough they look a little small relative to the figure. Perhaps they are juveniles?

You realize the figure is a giant right?

ah, ok. I was assuming around a 2 meter height for the figure. If it's more like 3 meters then it makes more sense.

Juvenile mammoths with huge tusks?

*shrug* When it comes a Bethesda game I'm not expecting anatomical accuracy. I was merely noticing that the mammoths appeared small relative to the figure.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You realize the figure is a giant right?

I'm not sure why anyone would realize that, he doesn't have a sign that says Giant. It does make more sense with that information though.

Well the faces appear improved at least. Bethie has been trying to get their faces right since MW so maybe third time is the charm.

edit: the environments don't seem much different but they were mostly OK in Oblivion, though a bit bland compared to MW, so not a big deal really if the improvement there is minor.

I especially like the Khajit. Looks much less goofy.

Edited by Slowtrain

But you gotta admit that Khajit looks a whole lot better.

baby steps are better than no steps at all.

edit: Do you remember the argonians in Oblivion? They looked like inflated plastic pillows. AT least bethie is trying: they appear to have gotten rid of the weird face bloat/warp thing they had going on in Oblivion. Faces appear to have an actual underlying bone structure now.

Edited by Slowtrain