Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

i thought i read somewhere that the engine had simply been "changed so much" that they consider it a new engine.

as long as there are all new animations, i don't really care too much that its the same ol thing. the wild differences between morrowind, oblivion, and New Vegas show that the engine itself can be used in plenty of ways.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Ok, so now that I've decided to play TES: Oblivion at last, which mods should I install? I don't want that absurd "feature" called level scaling and I also want to keep other things as vanilla as possible.

centinexx.png

Ok, so now that I've decided to play TES: Oblivion at last, which mods should I install? I don't want that absurd "feature" called level scaling and I also want to keep other things as vanilla as possible.

Any that has the potential to add soul, excitement, and a means of having fun whilst playing the game. :no:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul is the only mod I'd call essential, it strips out a ton of the level scaling bull**** and adds lots of handplaced items and loot, it also makes lots of lesser but sensible changes like adding female guards and lockpick skill restrictions.

Beyond that you'll probably just end up adding a few smaller mods as you go along, Natural Environments is a decent mod, it makes the forests thicker, adds birds and some random insect life, some music packs wouldn't hurt either, listening to the same five to ten tracks in a game as big as Oblivion is torture.

Don't forget the Unofficial Oblivion Patch too.

Oscuros is ok, but really just install the nehrim total conversion and save yourself a lot of misery about being forced to play a crap game designed by cretins.

http://www.nehrim.de/indexEV.html

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Oscuros is ok, but really just install the nehrim total conversion and save yourself a lot of misery about being forced to play a crap game designed by cretins.

http://www.nehrim.de/indexEV.html

By playing crap designed by even bigger cretins?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Don't get me wrong, if it was more polished and had a well translated voiceover I could see it being really good, as it stands it's massively buggy and heinously unoptimised, I felt myself being pulled out of the game constantly.

worse writing than Oblivion

Chimpanzees bouncing on a typewriter write better stuff than Bethie did in Oblivion.

By playing crap designed by even bigger cretins?

I certainly wouldn't claim it as the best thing ever certainly, but on a relative scale it manages to somewhat fix most of Oblivion's worst problems.

it's badly coded, badly written and runs like a dog on even the best PC.

It's a free tc. I wasn't expecting a super-polished piece of work. It's laggy performance is definitely its biggest problem for me.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Nehrim has even worse writing than Oblivion, and the setting is terrible. Avoid it like the plague.

Rubbish. Nehrim's writing was leaps and boundries over Oblivion. Still, very buggy and some of the other design choices felt a bit stupid.

"Avoid" it like a fly over a heap of manure.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Saying Nehrim is better than Oblivion is like saying being buried alive is better than being burnt alive.

I hear that being buried alive can be quite peaceful if you don't start panicking. But this kind of conflicts with other reports that suffocation can be painful. I don't really know anyone who has experienced it.

However, since being burned alive is one of the two most painful ways to go, I'd say being buried is still a step up.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Saying Nehrim is better than Oblivion is like saying being buried alive is better than being burnt alive.

Playing Nehrim made me feel better about the money I spent on Oblivion: I was finally getting some value back.

Is that a testament to Nehrim's brilliance? No, probably not. It is however testament to Oblivion's badness.

With Oblivion being the first open world RPG I played I'm absolutely biased but I just can't make myself see it as the infected scab on the beautiful face of gaming that others do :thumbsup:

I can however see all of it's glaring faults, I'm not making an argument for the game here but I must have enjoyed something in those 300 hours.

With Oblivion being the first open world RPG I played I'm absolutely biased but I just can't make myself see it as the infected scab on the beautiful face of gaming that others do :thumbsup:

I can however see all of it's glaring faults, I'm not making an argument for the game here but I must have enjoyed something in those 300 hours.

How many of those 300 hours were spent playing the unmodded-as shipped-vanilla game?

i played vanilla oblivion for about 40 hours, and modded oblivion for another 100. i got quite a bit out of that game. now it is almost unplayable for me, even with mods (all i see are the flaws). cant wait for skyrim

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

With Oblivion being the first open world RPG I played I'm absolutely biased but I just can't make myself see it as the infected scab on the beautiful face of gaming that others do :blink:

How many of those 300 hours were spent playing the unmodded-as shipped-vanilla game?

I reckon my first game was about 90 hours, a pretty good chunk, as a first timer I loved it but the level scaling made me :x so I went looking and found Oscuro's mod.

After becoming a bit wiser and playing better RPG's I doubt I could go back to Oblivion...that and the fact that I've truly seen everything the game has to offer including almost every copypasta dungeon.

I know I played a lot of the guild related quests and storylines... but I couldn't get into the main plot.. and I realised I was just forcing myself to play because I kept hoping that I'd get that Morrowind feeling kick in eventually.

It's a game I wasted too much time on trying to enjoy when I should have stopped much, much earlier.

And that's making me be very wary of Skyrim. As much as some of these previews are providing elements that look interesting.. I'm still in the "wait and see" camp.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I reckon my first game was about 90 hours, a pretty good chunk,

Well, that's pretty cool. You defintely got your money's worth out of it, even without mods.

Don't get me wrong, mods are great, but the as-shipped game has to stand on its own, I think, which for me Oblivion didn't.

I'm hoping that Beth has learned some things from both Oblivion and FO3 (and maybe even Fallout:NV), and that Skyrim won't even needs mods to be fun. I'm not expecting brilliance, just hoping for fun.

Well, that's pretty cool. You defintely got your money's worth out of it, even without mods.

Don't get me wrong, mods are great, but the as-shipped game has to stand on its own, I think, which for me Oblivion didn't.

I'm hoping that Beth has learned some things from both Oblivion and FO3 (and maybe even Fallout:NV), and that Skyrim won't even needs mods to be fun. I'm not expecting brilliance, just hoping for fun.

You didn't happen to upgrade your PC in order to be able to play Oblivion back in the day, did you? That would explain some of your... bitterness.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.