Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

Hey, "swords with swords" is an under-explored fantasy concept/theme.

Overall, I am disappointed by the dearth of Skyrim jokes based on the modern verb usage of the work "rim."

Of course it all pales in comparison to the imbecilic story, dialog and to a lesser extent quests. Perhaps they learned something after Fallout 3 although the trailer about the return of the dragons (yawn) doesn't suggest much.

A cliched story can still be entertaining if told well. Not that I'm expecting much, but if the story is passable, the world is interesting to explore, and Skyrim isn't as terminally bland as Cyrodill, I'll probably be entertained by Skyrim.

I'm perfectly fine with Chosen One vs. The Return of the Dragons if the story does not advertise its greatest illogicalities and its worst gameplay elements as the primary plot mechanisms. At worst it would be Gothic 2's dragon hunting (which as a plot arc was pretty retarded grinding, but at least you got some cool dragon fights).

Bethesda should honestly sub-contract Obsidian to write the story for Skyrim.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Bethesda should honestly sub-contract Obsidian to write the story for Skyrim. I'd almost consider buying and playing it if they did.

Bethesda is collaborating with Kirkbride IIRC. Much better choice to handle the TES lore.

But he's talking about story, not lore.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda Oblivion-ish

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-pc-1303119651-034.jpg

Rawr

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-pc-1303119651-033.jpg

Big Improvement for the Orcs, far less derpy

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-pc-1303119651-032.jpg

Khajiit also look pretty badass

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-pc-1303119651-029.jpg

Bearded zombie Technovikings

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-pc-1303119651-030.jpg

How many CTD's do you reckon it will take to cross those mountains?

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-pc-1303119651-028.jpg

Edited by WDeranged

man, some of those screenshots make me want to jump in my computer and run through the forest trails into the mountains.

i'm going to end up spending way too much time on this game. i can tell already.

edit: and gooooood lord does that orc look better than oblivion orcs

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Attributes are axed.

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/elderscrolls...iews&page=1

On the topic of character advancement, Howard noted that the eight original character attributes from previous Elder Scrolls games have been condensed into three: magica, health, and stamina. He justified this by stating that the original eight all "trickled down" into each other and that this change allowed players more direct control over their characters.

Attributes are axed.

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/elderscrolls...iews&page=1

On the topic of character advancement, Howard noted that the eight original character attributes from previous Elder Scrolls games have been condensed into three: magica, health, and stamina. He justified this by stating that the original eight all "trickled down" into each other and that this change allowed players more direct control over their characters.

Hm, that's possibly the first bit of news I've not liked >_<

Attributes are axed.

I guess this was to be expected since they didn't streamline them enough in Oblivion/Fallout3.

But how can they hope to maintain alchemy/enchanting without them?

Majority of magic effects in Oblivion resulted in increase/lowerinf of stats.

Doesn’t seem like they could work similarly with perks.

This probably means the end of SPECIAL for Fallout.

Edited by pmp10

i guess this just makes skills that much more valuable?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The old Codexian joke comes true: one day the Elder Scrolls will just involve putting + points into HP, Mana and Damage. >_<

We'll see how it works in practice, but christ, the solution to a system that doesn't work is to fix the system, not destroy most of it. It's not hard to make attribute points matter in interesting ways, most other CRPGs do it.

I dunno. I think the attribute system in the ES games was pretty messed up. I think dropping it altogether is a pretty decent idea, otherwise they would have to rework the heck out of it.

edit: I also think getting rid of athletics and acrobatics as skills is a good idea, but as always Todd Howard's belief that simplification solves all problems continues to disturb me.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If they can balance the perks right it won't be such a great loss, now I understand why they're choosing to speed up the levelling process (an idea I wasn't keen on), they give you less to do on each level up but you level up more often, so hopefully with a good selection of perks it should balance out.

I'm anxious to see it all in action though, I'm just as interested in seeing the new menu system, Eurogamer has a bit of new info about that, though I remember a Todd quote from a while back saying he wanted to make an inventory like Apple would make it...hmm.

Edited by WDeranged

I don't get that really. The leveling up in Oblivion was absurdly fast -- your character could gain 2 levels just falling down a flight of stairs.

Even in Skyrim, despite hearing some good things, it's still the typical Bethesda/Todd Howard all-gamers-have-ADD approach to game design.